How'd you get your 1st ride?

LOVEMYLABXS

Was it given to you or did you have to earn the money to by it?

Dad said Iffin I wanted one I had to work for it finally got enough to buy a 58 chevy Delray ( That's the very very bottom end ) Gave 50 bucks for it but it ran good but no one was really sure how many times it had been wrecked. Didn't even have a backseat till I found one in an old car down by the river where they use to push them over the side to keep the river bank from washing out. Didn't really lock into place but didn't care. Blue with a sprayed on vineyl top and I spray painted the rims crome... Oh and this was in the late 60s.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Dad told me when I was 13 if I wanted a car I needed to buy it. Worked every Sat and every summer until I was 16.Bought a 68 Potiac Lemans for 900.00.Worked for 65 cents per hour with no overtime pay.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Earned the money cutting tobacco, putting up hay, and such for the nearby farmers; picked up nightcrawlers, dug ginseng, etc. Paid $450 for a 1970 F100 pickup a month before I got my license. It had over well 100k on it and leaked oil like a flour sifter, but I drove that thing for several years.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
'78 Blazer. Got a job at the grocery atore, forfeited my paychecks to Dad until it was paid ($900 if I recall)

Cmp1

BANNED
All right here goes,,,, to make a long story short,,,, was working a a grocery store as a bagger, best boss I ever had, driving my dad's 67 Lincoln continental, convertable, what a tank, suicide doors and all,,,, had saved quite a bit of money, around the corner from us a guy I knew from my sister was selling his 70 Challenger, 383 with a six pack from a 340, built with a 3 quarter race cam, NO injected, Hurst 4 speed, racing tires, beautiful car, black, 1800.00, I had the cash, my dad and I went and took her around the block, my dad said, man this is some car, but your going to kill yourself in this, I mulled it over, gave him 20 bucks to hold it for me, on the way home we went to a Lincoln dealer that my dad knew the owner, he talked to him about giving me a good deal on a new or nice used car, anyway looked around the lot, and he said that he had a demo with only 300 miles on it, Pinto, 4speed, brown and copper, brand new,,,, got him down to 2400.00,,,, my dad said I can build my credit and not kill myself,,,,got great mileage, took a trip to visit my sister on the east coast, from metro Detroit to Boston on 2 tanks,,,,, will never forget the Challenger,,,, it was definitely a chick magnet, not to mention fast,,,,,

Nugefan

My Dad like all of us said you want it you work and buy it ... worked at landscaper , helped get up cotton at end of the day , and worked with my Grandfather welding ...went to a farmers place to weld on plows and a 66 Mustang was sitting under the pecan trees , had so much sap inside and out it looked black , ended up being white with red interior ... bought it for 100 bucks and got motor 302 w/ 4 barrel from an older station wagon my folks had and Popo ( Grandfather ) helped me install it ... I was in high cotton drove it from 15 till 17 , went into Air Force and sold it ...sure wish I had it back now ...fun times ...

Cmp1

BANNED
My Dad like all of us said you want it you work and buy it ... worked at landscaper , helped get up cotton at end of the day , and worked with my Grandfather welding ...went to a farmers place to weld on plows and a 66 Mustang was sitting under the pecan trees , had so much sap inside and out it looked black , ended up being white with red interior ... bought it for 100 bucks and got motor 302 w/ 4 barrel from an older station wagon my folks had and Popo ( Grandfather ) helped me install it ... I was in high cotton drove it from 15 till 17 , went into Air Force and sold it ...sure wish I had it back now ...fun times ...

Sure wish I had the Challenger,,,,

Duff

Worked fer it. Had a min wage job ($3.35 per hour) the summer I was 15. Saved up and bought a 72 Celica. Had 225,000 on it.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
My dad actually bought a car for all 3 of us boys to learn to drive. It was a 63 Corvair the lady who owned it had wrecked. She hit a car in the rear and messed up the hood and front end. The car ran out great. So we boys would drive it all over the farm and pasture. We would cut firewood, throw it in the front of that buggy and haul it home.

The first real street car I had was a 65 Mustang, 6 cylinder, 3 speed. I gave $600 for it knowing it had a noisey transmission. I replaced the transmission and clutch. Could not keep a tranny in it. It kept wiping out the cluster gear. My dad accused me of ripping around in the car and breaking the tranny. I went a bought a 1968 Barracuda fastback and started trying to fix that Mustang one last time to sell it. I found out the junkyard I was buying the transmissions from was selling me transmissions out of a Comet. They looked the same, except the input shaft was 3/4 of an inch short. The shaft wasn't getting up into the pilot bearing. I got the right transmission and put it in the car. I sold that car to a fellow that I vaguely knew. 4 years later he was still driving it, and never had any issues with the transmission.

Drats!

BTW, Dad loaned me the $600 to buy the Mustang, and I had to pay him back $100 a week until I got it paid off.

Oh yeah... that Barracuda was a lot of fun, but the tickets were expensive. It was a beautiful shade of 'Hello Officer Red' and I put a set of Thrush side pipes on, air shocks, and bought a cassette player to put in it. Radials were just coming out, and I put a set on that car. It was more than a 17 year old kid needed.

Last edited:

Pop

First vehicle was a 49 GMC 5 window truck, right door dented in and no window in the left door. Dad paid 100 dollars for the truck and I drove it my junior and senior year. I was popping the clutch and showing my hinny and jerked the rear end out. This thing had a closed drive shaft and it was the devil to change out but dad knew what I had been doing and made me repair it myself. (Good lesson learned the hard way). We had more fun in that truck than a teenager should have. The ladies loved it as much as I did and we could go to the river bottom while the guys in their fancy cars had to walk, of course the ladies rode with me.

The first real car was a 64 Comet Coupe, 289 4 speed and man was I really lucky, one sharp car and paid for by myself. Dad cosigned with me at the bank and paid $900 dollars for it. Drove said vehicle for a year and a half before a a guy hit me in the left rear as I was passing, broadside for a short distance and then rolled the car twice, luckily no one hurt bad.

Nugefan

for my 16th birthday I opened a card from Daddy and it was the insurance payment ... lol

LTZ25

Mine was a 1952 international pick up and my dad gave it to me , in 1965 I drove it high school when I was 15 .

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
My Grandpa's '67 Impala.
$700.
Worked and paid him $100 a month.
Didn't get the car until it was paid for.
That may be why I have an 835 FICO score now.

Dirtroad Johnson

1970 SS Chevelle 396 in the summer (July) of 1971 when I was 15, I turned 16 couple months later in September. It had around 30 to 35,000 miles on it best I remember. I worked but I didn't make enough to pay for it, my folks helped. Working in tobacco & pulling weeds & hoeing, etc didn't pay much.

Redbow

My first car was a 1960 Ford Sunliner convertable, 352 engine with auto tranny, used of course. I worked in tobacco and in a drug store for 50 cents per hour and made payments on the Ford.. Shortly after buying the car a head gasket blew..A friend and I repaired the head gaskets with very little mechanical experience but after we got everything back together the car ran fine with no problems for years. Like everything else in this life I have owned I worked out what I wanted. No one has ever given me anything but a hard time over 71 years and 9 months of living on this planet..

Parents co-signed a loan for a 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury ($350) and after purchase, it sat in the driveway for about 2 months until I earned enough to pay my insurance up front in cash. That car was darn clean by the time it hit the road...lol.

GeorgiaBob

In 1968, I used money I had earned to buy a 1955 Type 1 VW Beetle (the 33 hp, small back window bug) for $300 It only lasted a year, but for that time (until the tired old engine gave up) I had a lot of fun. The only problem when it was running was the shifter between the front seats (and the tiny back seat) kept my dates PG rated!

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
In 1968, I used money I had earned to buy a 1955 Type 1 VW Beetle (the 33 hp, small back window bug) for $300 It only lasted a year, but for that time (until the tired old engine gave up) I had a lot of fun. The only problem when it was running was the shifter between the front seats (and the tiny back seat) kept my dates PG rated!

Center shifters were great.
Shift to 4th, hand casually slides to passengers left leg, unless the passenger is your cousin Louie, then hands back to 10 and 2!