Huge deer on the southend of St. Simons Island

dotties cutter

Those are fallow deer from Little Saint Simons Island. At one time I was a member of the hunting group over on little Saint and they are a great deer to hunt and excellent meat on the table. these fallow deer are also on Sea Island and are a nuisance to the gardeners over there.

ssiredfish

As for the swim, my dog got on one at east beach one time so I know they can cross over in that area from Sea Island

I was goin fishin one morning and as I passed I saw one at the caution light on Frederica that would look you square in the eye. His rack had to be over 36" tall and looked like one of those chandeliers in a Colorado lodge. There are some brutes for sure and that spot you saw them at is frequented by them pretty good.

IdRatherBHunting

What would happen or is happening when and if they mate with whitetails? Could that make for a cool hybrid?

LHCLLLC

They are fallow deer, they get a lot bigger too. Been on the island forever and seem to be getting more comfortable around the south end.

jimehrensperger

My dad lives on the north end in Hampton Plantation, he woke up one morning about 5 and stepped on his back porch for a smoke and his coffee. Had 2 good bucks start fighting on the golf course and pushed each other into his back yard, looked like a dozer had come through there an tore his yard and pine island to - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - and back. Said he turned on his flood lights and started yelling to get them to stop to no avail.

BornToHuntAndFish

Looks like some big 'uns. Sounds like fun having encounters with 'em.

sneaking squanto

My sister and brother in law live on SSI and these Fallow deer enjoy their garden just about every morning and evening.

Attachments

• IMG_7686 (2).jpg
    IMG_7686 (2).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,036

beginnersluck

Sweet pics. Thanks for the education...didn't know there were fallow here in ga.

bownutz

Just read this post while searching for hunts on little st Simons. I live in the vicinity of said photo. I called DNR after seeing bucks that make the one in the pic look like a fawn. They said there is no regs on fallow deer invasive species. Treat like hogs. Legal to bowhunt on ssi on your property. I just got done hanging a lock on in my woods behind house. Its on!!

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Just read this post while searching for hunts on little st Simons. I live in the vicinity of said photo. I called DNR after seeing bucks that make the one in the pic look like a fawn. They said there is no regs on fallow deer invasive species. Treat like hogs. Legal to bowhunt on ssi on your property. I just got done hanging a lock on in my woods behind house. Its on!!

Post up some pics if you shaft one.. Good luck

mattuga

Banned
Interesting on being able to hunt them, that would get messy in our neighborhood. We see them all the time on the small open plot along Old Demere near the Airport Rd intersection. They spar there during mating season and it is fun to stop the bicycle and just watch. Bownutz: Since you deer hunted it , did you ever get a chance to duck hunt Little SSI? I know they have that one pond area and when I went on a tour there they said it is hunted a couple times yearly by select folks. I would love to get that invite even to pay for the hunt.

bownutz

I sat this am and only saw coons. Put out a bunch of corn just now. Airplanes can probably see it. Heard there have been some sightings close by this week. May take a week or so for them to find it. I'll keep y'all posted.

bulldawgborn

What would happen or is happening when and if they mate with whitetails? Could that make for a cool hybrid?

I doubt that they could interbreed even if they wanted to. They are in different genuses (sp?)--I'm no genus genius.

Whitetails and Mule Deer can and do interbreed because they share the same genus, but whitetails and fallows are not closely related...common family but different genus.

I would definitely like to see a whitetail rack with some fallow characteristics. I am a big fan of sky high racks and heavy palmation.

HM

Just ran across this story from the Jacksonville paper

13508632.jpg

JBowers

Those are fallow deer. Prior to existing laws prohibting importation and stocking, they were imported and stocked on Little St. Simon's by its owners back in the early 1900's. Fallow deer will and have crossed the channel between SSI and LSSI.

Fallow deer are not native to Georgia or North America, and do compete with native white-tails. Like feral hogs, there are no closed seasons on fallow deer in Georgia.

Bowhunter Matt

i will be making plans to hunt me some fallow deer soon. I have relatives that live in ssi they my be getting a vistit soon.