Hulu

Dog Hunter

is it worth it? Thinking of cutting cable out. Will I be able to watch sports and tv? Any input will be greatly appreciated

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
We have Hulu, we cut our cable. I like it! Plenty of sports and we get all our local (well we get Huntsville, Al.) Channels also.

We tried sling and I liked it also but the wife didn't like the channel formatting.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I've done it before and an considering doing it again.

Here's my setup from last time.

Installed a $40 antenna and $30 signal booster in the attic, pointed toward downtown ATL. Plugged the coax from the antenna into the cable hub box in the attic that fed to all the cable outlets around the house. That alone gave me local ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, PBS and about 30 other channels. Most of the others we never watched, but there were a couple of jewels in there, like MeTV, that shows only old MASH, Rifleman, etc. re-runs. I connected all TVs to the cable outlet on the wall in each room and had HD channels (better quality than cable).

On the main TV in the family room, I purchased a small computer (Mac mini), and set it by the TV, with a wireless keyboard and mouse on the coffee table. That computer connected wireless to the cable modem in the house, so it was internet active. From that computer, I could get YouTube TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and direct streaming from other websites like NatGeo and History.

Today, I think you can get the same effect with a Roku or similar box for $50 or less.

On the bedroom TV, we had a Sony Media player (basically a Roku by today's standard) that wirelessly connected to the router. It ran off it's own remote, and gave us Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and a bunch of other streaming content.

Downside: No ESPN, SEC Sports, etc. channels. You get anything that's on the major networks, but that's it.

If you aren't a sports fanatic, then it's an easy switch.

We were paying about $180/month in internet+cable. That cut it to $90 for internet only. Today, an HD antenna (check out www.TVfool.com for a channel list based on your address, direction to point your antenna, and suggestions on antennas) plus a Roku or similar will give you about all you can handle, except all the sports channels.

Gator89

Yes! I am a Hulu subscriber. Switched from Sling to Hulu so I could get the SEC network and Fox news.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I also switched from Sling to Hulu. I watch Braves games and Georgia football. Everything else is just bonus.

ol bob

Roku and Hulu live love it I wouldn't go back if they offered it cable free.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
You may want to have a look at YouTube Tv as well. https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Also, I don't know who your cable or Internet provider is, but you may qualify for a promotion. Worth looking into that. And believe it or not, you may can find a pretty good deal on a cable and Internet bundle.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I've done it before and an considering doing it again.

Here's my setup from last time.

Installed a $40 antenna and $30 signal booster in the attic, pointed toward downtown ATL. Plugged the coax from the antenna into the cable hub box in the attic that fed to all the cable outlets around the house. That alone gave me local ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, PBS and about 30 other channels. Most of the others we never watched, but there were a couple of jewels in there, like MeTV, that shows only old MASH, Rifleman, etc. re-runs. I connected all TVs to the cable outlet on the wall in each room and had HD channels (better quality than cable).
We were paying about $180/month in internet+cable. That cut it to $90 for internet only. Today, an HD antenna (check out www.TVfool.com for a channel list based on your address, direction to point your antenna, and suggestions on antennas) plus a Roku or similar will give you about all you can handle, except all the sports channels.

Pretty similar situation on the antenna, here in Rome, GA, but no Hulu yet...
Regular channel list:
2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 18, 23, 34, 36, 46, 47, 69 (and all the sub-channels for each). ~45 total. Turn rotator towards Alabama, then PBS 7 from Mt. Cheaha. Nothing from Chattanooga, small mountain right in the path.

GT90

I have both in Lawrenceville and Sparta. I am in Sparta now so will give you the run down on that set up. We have a Vizio TV with a number of built in links including Hulu and Sling. I just counted 40 channels on Sling including ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN3. I pay for it in Lawrenceville but can piggy back on that account here. For Hulu my wife pays $45/month to get live TV in Sparta which includes some local channels. Note that I am on the east side of Lake Sinclair and the "local" channels are Channel 5 out of Atlanta and a Macon channel. I do not see all of the four major networks but we get 81 channels including at least 2 ESPN channels, A&E, Discovery, Nat Geo, etc. I have a set up in Lawrenceville similar to the digital antenae in the attic set up mentioned earlier and it works great. Hulu has at least two levels. My wife tells me we can get Hulu basic for $5.00/month but a smaller channel selection. Do your homework and check on channel availability in each scenario. Most folks (well at least me:)) get tired of the same channels all of the time. Local channels are good for real time updates for bad weather.

Also, if you have a smart TV which allows you to stream from your phone or computer that could be an option and there are a lot of content options via the internet. I used to work in the cable TV space and I expect we will eventually move to a cafeteria plan off the internet and we will pick and choose what channels we want at a price per channel.

SC Hunter

We have hulu and Netflix and during football season I get sling TV just so I can make sure I get all the football games I would want to watch. We haven't had cable for probably 3 years and I don't miss it at all!

JohnnyWalker

Everywhere I look in HULU I see $$$ for everything. By the time I get what I want I am back to what I spend on DISH. There are some free channels and you get what you pay for. Personally, I would like to dump it all.

paulito

We use hulu live for past 2 years and like it a lot. if i were to switch i'd go to youtube tv as a buddy has it and is just as happy. I think we pay like $45 a month. Run it thru xbox and fire sticks on the non smart tvs we still use at the house.

Its nice to basically have tv anywhere you go if you have your smart phone.