Hummingbird feeder

Jody Hawk

I bought a hummingbird feeder several months ago and we have really enjoyed watching those little birds. I've heard to always take them up this time of year and then I read where somebody said that he leaves his out year round. Suggestions?

rip18

I vote for leaving them up all year. There is no biological data that shows that the availablity of food makes hummers stay here rather than migrate. In fact, we are ending up with more winter hummingbirds that aren't "supposed" to be here. Actually, they have been documented here for a long time, but more and more are being found because more people leave their feeders up in the winter.

Check out: http://www.gahummer.org/

We had at least 3, and probably 4, rufous hummingbirds spend most of the winter with us a couple of years ago.

Good luck either way!

DanSmith

Banned
we keep 4 out all summer 1 all winter . they are a fun thing to have around .. They shure do fight a lot!! :)

deerhunter75

Feeders

We have a feeder at our house and a feeder at our hunting club. They are neat birds to watch.

Deerhunter75

Carp

I haven't seen many until just recently. I rescued one out of my garage this week. I picked it up , took it to a feeder and stuck it's beak in the little hole,and then it just flew away and landed in a pine tree. Pretty neat.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
......i

leave mine up..........this time of year you might even get a Rufus visiting, besides the usual Ruby Throated Hummingbirds. :)