Hunter Education Course - the "Old School"

ScottD

I was looking recently at my license and realized that I still carry my original hunter education card with me. Might not seem to be to big a deal but I got mine in 1978.

I am student number 118xx and took the course from instructor number 001.

From memory, it was an hour a week for six weeks. Then we spent one day shooting 22's and another day shooting shotguns. (yes actually go outside and shoot).

The good ole days.

Gator89

Back in the good ole days in rural central FL, 1976 or so, the game wardens came to Ag Ed classes for a week and taught hunter safety. On Friday you took the written test. On Saturday errybody that wanted a card, got on a buss and took a ride to the sheriff's range and fired 15 rounds through a 22, 5 standing, 5 kneeling and 5 prone.

Game wardens brought guns to the classroom for discussion purposes, etc.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My 1st Time was at Ft. Hood Tx.
They wanted to make sure I was safe hunting. Around 81. It was classes. I did have to qualify with my bow to bow hunt.
2nd time in Fla taking a lot of kids. Weekend. Sat. Sun.
Classes and we shot bows. 22s and shotgun. It was at a local Rod & gun club. All the kids with parents knew each other.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I had to take one in Colorado in 1975 when I went out there for a mule deer hunt. Still got the card put up somewhere.

ScottD

Yes, it is a georgia one. I wish I could remember the instructors name... maybe "Red" something.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I took mine here in NC in I think, 1980. It was part of my Junior High curriculum. It lasted several weeks.

oldguy

I worked for the SC W&MRD in the 80s as Hunter Ed coordinator for the middle 18 counties. One hour for six weeks. Folks loved it. Fired .22s on the range and shot skeet w/20 ga. single shots, Rem 870s and 1100s. Took guns in schools. Yep the good old days.

naildrvr

I got mine on 8-25-1988, it was a 2 night course when I did it. I still carry my card today after 30 years.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Went a couple times as a teenager.
Once with my little brother. A few years later I went again with a girl I was dating.
Both times we got the lever gun trick. Where instructor opens the lever for everyone to look and ask if it's empty????? Instructor them closes the lever and squeeze trigger and a blank goes off!
Stuff like that I don't think can be as imprinting online.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I am exempt but I took the course with both of my kids and my grandson.

Blackston

Armstrong state college 2 day course had to pass for adult/ child hunt on ossabaw November 1991 still remember the turkey hunting video where the guy has a red bandanna and gets shot. Things have changed in the little time I've been around can't imagine what 40 more years will bring

Hillbilly stalker

I took mine here in NC in I think, 1980. It was part of my Junior High curriculum. It lasted several weeks.
Yep....it was mandatory fun in JR. High. We had a strong hunting culture where school was closed during the 2 week gun season. They knew everybody was gonna hunt.

krizia829

Yep....it was mandatory fun in JR. High. We had a strong hunting culture where school was closed during the 2 week gun season. They knew everybody was gonna hunt.
That's so awesome! I wish it was still like that today.. I'm only 27 but I remember when i'd go hunting in Alabama when I was little, people still rode around with shotguns and rifles on the back window of their trucks! I thought that was pretty neat. God forbid you do that now! lol

holton27596

I took the course in 6th grade in 73 as a course in Mcrae. we had 3 months of fishing, 3 months of boating and 3 months of hunting/shooting. Mr Bowen and I forgot the other teachers name ho taught tyhe course. most fun course I ever had.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Armstrong state college 2 day course had to pass for adult/ child hunt on ossabaw November 1991 still remember the turkey hunting video where the guy has a red bandanna and gets shot. Things have changed in the little time I've been around can't imagine what 40 more years will bring
Took my class at sweetwater park in about 93. I likewise still remember that video. I still make sure I don't wear red whit or blue while Turkey hunting too.