Hunter Education Question

leavinc

Got a question for everyone regarding the hunter education requirement in Georgia.

I'm reading in the regulations that people over 25 (I'm 30) are required to complete a hunter education course but are not required to present it when purchasing a hunting license, nor are they required to carry it while hunting.

I have completed a hunter education course in Wisconsin when I was younger. Since Georgia does not require that you show your education certificate when purchasing a license, how do they know that you've completed a hunter education course? I suppose I could print it out and show it but the regulation states that you don't need to show it when buying a license.

Is it just the honor system in this case? Do Georgia hunters have their Georgia education saved electronically?

jakebuddy

When you buy a license you can “attest” to having it, then if you are in a hunting accident it will be checked then you can be charged for not having it or worse possibly sued by someone else involved if you don’t . Or if you are involved in something illegal hunting related it can checked out and you could be charged. Your home state should have a record and you can get a replacement. I had to get a replacement card, took it back in the late 80s they had it electronically. Hope that helps.

leavinc

I can get a replacement from Wisconsin. I was just curious how it works because you're not required to show it when purchasing your license.

This is a new concept to me because in other states I've lived, I've had to show proof I completed a hunter education course when getting my license.