hunting close to trails

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
hammer,
I put up a ladder stand with a platform built on top that I've had locked onto a tree for about 8 years now. I have killed 3 nice bucks from it over these years.

This stand is only about 15 yards off of the main trail BUT it also allows me to see a much larger area as well. The woods in the area of this trail is not real thick to one side of it. Originally, I felt that it was too close but lots of deer have walked down this trail and looked in my direction and then kept right on walking by and never gave me a second thought.

I must say that I have also had deer and turkeys walk around my stand within 10 feet of the tree that it is attached to. This stand is built onto a 10 ft camo painted aluminum ladder. I've also had to close my eyes several times and do my best to squint really hard to keep the deer and turkeys from seeing me batting my eyes as they were that close to me.

mar0311

As hunters we all look for that perfect set which to me has always been the best part of hunting! Getting to close to a trail for me is determined on my ability to make a clean kill, whether bow or gun. Good Hunting..

chrislibby88

You should be able to sit almost right on top of it, as long as you can access your stand without leaving your sent across the trail, or have the wind carry your sent to where they are walking. I’ve made this mistake many times. They usually stop, smell, and pick you when they cross your walk-in trail. I always try to be conscience of my access route in relation to deer movement, especially close to trails and travel routes.

Jim Boyd

I “shoot for” 15-30 yards as I am archery only.

If multiple trails are present, I try to pick and choose and many times, the tree with good cover dictates the location.

Good luck.

j_seph

By accident before light, 3 foot. Felt pretty dumb when the deer started walking under me

JackSprat

Killed two bucks from stands where I had to shoot straight down. Other words, stand was right on the trail.

Wind is the issue, match with sun so you don't get back lighted.

Also, have sat on a log many times and had deer walk with 10 yards of me.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Right on top of it or no more than 30 yds away. I hunt in thick stuff. Like Chris said stay out of the trails.