Hunting club limbo!!!

CrossCentered

I am in my most dreaded time of year. I was in a trophy club 2 years ago, I loved it, saw a TON of deer, but bought a house after season, and could not swing that trophy club money this year. So I found a cheap "400" acre club with 10 members, I set my expectations low due to the small area, but was blessed with 2 mature tom turkeys, and a basket rack 7 point. I did see 2 mature bucks (1 my wife missed, 1 I missed). So all in all I count this season a success, but after some club "issues" I will decidedly be searching for new hunting grounds. 1 of the issues was, by the tax assessor's website the property is really 200 acres (there is no possible way it is bigger, IE surrounded by a large creek on 1 side, and a cow pasture on the other). BUT I said all that to say this, I am now stuck in the terrible thought of, will I have to hunt public land next year, or will I find a good lease or club. I like to start early with scouting, stand placement, trimming, and leave it be as soon as possible.

I have a couple people who I have contacted about joining their lease or club, but we are in that waiting game of openings/ expansion. Anyone else in that same boat???? I also will have to spend my turkey season on public land, but I don't mind that as much.

CrossCentered

Houston County. I have hunted public land before, and seen big deer. I also have had a lock on, and a climber stolen off public land

lonewolf247

I think in the short term, hunt public land for turkey season. Sounds like your hunting preparations, that you like to do in advance, would fit a hunting club situation, more so than public land for deer season.

That being said, it sounds like you had opportunities on your current club. I'm not sure if the acreage discrepancy, is your only hang up, you didn't say? If so, maybe try it another year?

If your definitely out, I'd get started on the search for a new club.

CrossCentered

Lonewolf I was avoiding broadcasting the drama that came up during the season. There was a laundry list of negatives. No written rules=being told one thing, and then it changing......... I have been religiously checking the club adds on here. Do you know the general time frame of most clubs pick up????

Gator89

Lonewolf I was avoiding broadcasting the drama that came up during the season. There was a laundry list of negatives. No written rules=being told one thing, and then it changing......... I have been religiously checking the club adds on here. Do you know the general time frame of most clubs pick up????

Clubs should be advertising now, lease fees are due between now and June 1, depending on the landowner.

Easygo

You are right at one of the top 5 wmas in the state. Ocmulgee is ran extremely well and some great deer come from there every year. Scouting , finding stand locations, etc is all the same there. Buy you a used climber in good shape for half price. Carry it in and out every time you hunt.

lonewolf247

I kind of thought possibly so, and I understand that. As far as club time frame, I'm not from the area, but back home here, it's usually due around June 1st. Although I am in a second small lease that is due August 1st. I'd be looking hard now though.

Good luck!

CrossCentered

You are right at one of the top 5 wmas in the state. Ocmulgee is ran extremely well and some great deer come from there every year. Scouting , finding stand locations, etc is all the same there. Buy you a used climber in good shape for half price. Carry it in and out every time you hunt.
I have hunted Ocmulgee, and even killed a deer there. My first turkey came from there. But they sold my favorite spots, last time I went was turkey season. Went to my favorite spot, and was noticing deer stands everywhere, and a pig trap. It was turkey season and the timber had been fresh cut, figured it was possibly just lazy hunters. Well LONG story short, I didn't hear anything. So I called my resident Ocmulgee expert and was informed I had been trespassing. SORRY if that is anyones club now, I drive a silver Tacoma, the gate was open, and I did not notice any no T-pass signs.

But I have not been hunting there since, was worried about trespassing again.

Easygo

Find new places on ocmulgee. You will have just as much time and effort in ocmulgee as a new club and probably equal or better success than last year

Easygo

I’ll add be applying for points on quotas and about every 2-3 years go to flint or Chickasawhatchee for the rifle hunt. You will be just as happy and have a great time

CrossCentered

Gadeerwoman that is a def no for me. I found 24 acres for sale for a GREAT price. I now have to sell my wife on it LOL. Easygo I have never deer hunted Flint, but while turkey hunting I could tell it was loaded with deer!!!!

kingfish

Go to a couple of garage sales and find a "burner" lock on or 2 and reinforce them. That's what I leave on public land and if someone steals them, good for them.