Hunting club preference,pin in or private area

Private area or pin in

• Private area only

• Pin in area only

• Private areas then first come not private

Results are only viewable after voting.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I tried pin in system on 7500 acres with 15 members. Worst experience I ever had hunting a club. I got out and went back to hunting private areas only property. Life is great!!

PappyHoel

Pin in all day long but hang stands all over. And if we a'int hunting them youre more than welcome to hunt them.

However, you would have to find them and that was no easy task. The club was for those who put the work in and hung stands. The core group probably knew where the stands were but we all hunted our improved areas. One of us was always there so we knew what was going on.

It worked for us.

To put in into perspective, we had about 1900 acres to hunt. The 1900 acres was contiguous, but we broke it into 3 areas and 3 sign in boards. You would know if someone was in your area via the pin boards. We used magnets.

It was really a saftey thing for us. We had 40ish members and there was probably only about 10 of us that always hunted. We would see a random member every now and then and they would only hunt once or twice.

sghoghunter

In some clubs that could be so but on ours I could of had what I thought to be one of the best stands on the place but decided on two more spots and let a new member have it. There was four bucks killed on the club last yr with three killed out of that particular stand.

delacroix

BANNED
One of the problems with private areas is the deer just learn to go around you. You could set up an awesome spot, but I could go in there with a dove stool and kill deer right off you that you'll never see. Not that I would, but that's just because being in a club with a good group is more important than killing deer. It's just that actually killing deer on a place covered in private areas is harder than it would be if deer killers were able to move around freely.

I voted private with pin in, too, because it covers all the bases. Baiting up a spot for the kids is handy. Being able to actually go hunt is nice, too. It's a good enough compromise.

Buckstop

I guess it depends on the type of club or its members. We are a pin in system but its more for safety than for claiming a spot. With 5 or 6 guys on 1400 ac, there is plenty of room. With 30 or so club stands, it is open for every member with the caveat to not hunt them with the wrong wind. Personal or portable stands are allowed but no one really bothers.

Some spots will always be much better than others and I can't imagine charging a member the same dues but keeping him from having equal access to the best spots. Then again, we don't hunt with strangers or folks that we aren't happy to see succeed.

Core Lokt

Pin in board, tag when you go in and tag out when you leave

1k acers, 7 members, 23 club stands/plots and each member gets 1 private stand that must be 200 yards from any club stand. Works great. Also lets people know where you are if you don't come out when you should.

Just my opinion but clubs with private sections aren't fair. The last guy in always gets the worst spot but he pays the same money...

Tider79

Definitely private areas. The problem I have run into with pin in clubs is you get to the club at midnight and some guys are always pinned in, usually senior members of the club who "forget". Someone sees a nice buck in one area and those forgotten pins move there. Even with clear rules against the practice, it's was the same in every club. With private areas, there is no confusion. It's your area. You hunt your area when you can and, if it's not necessarily a prime area, you improve it. Cut trails, fertilize the natural browse, plant something or bait if you want.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
After reading all this;-/ neither is fair. Pin in others can hunt where u have seen a big buck. If u go in there and kill a nice one. Others hunters show up.
Private areas. Well you work on a spot. Improve the area. Get the deer there. Don’t shoot does. Start getting big deer. Not fair to the new guy who has not done nothing. Some say he paid the same. Well only that one year. The other guy has paid for 10 plus years. In Theory has paid the whole lease price once being there many years. The new guy don’t see it that way. We all paid the same this year. He don’t see rank has its privileges. The guy who has been there 10 years got in and got that spot when it was the only one then. Aka not the best then. Over 10 years of hunting hard has been successful.
Now his spot seems to be gravey. Aka the best.

So if you want pin in no private. Join that club.
If you want private and want that join that club.

Some how neither seems fair after reading ? all this. ?

shdw633

Pin in board, tag when you go in and tag out when you leave

1k acers, 7 members, 23 club stands/plots and each member gets 1 private stand that must be 200 yards from any club stand. Works great. Also lets people know where you are if you don't come out when you should.

Just my opinion but clubs with private sections aren't fair. The last guy in always gets the worst spot but he pays the same money...

What are you talking about....you just stated the club you are on has a private area for each member and it works great????

Core Lokt

1 private stand, not an entire section/chunk of the property. there are 25 club stands. Private stands can be hunted if you ask the owner and they allow which most always is allowed.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
1 private stand, not an entire section/chunk of the property. there are 25 club stands. Private stands can be hunted if you ask the owner and they allow which most always is allowed.
We try to do it like that. Then you get the one who wants to put his private stand behind the club stand field. ? not so bad if you just bow hunt around it durning bow.

Core Lokt

I guess we are lucky with the crew that we have. no issues with how it is set up. Everyone gets along and no issues

shdw633

Most private stand clubs I know are like that...we're like that, it just comes down to how many private areas you get, like for us it's 2 and then if you put up any other stands that are not in private areas they are first come first served. We even have some club stands on the property in case a member brings a guest and doesn't want them hunting in their private area. Once you become friends with everyone then it's like you stated, you just ask the owner if you can hunt their area but that is still up to the owner and that's what I like about private areas, they allow you to manage your area the way you see fit without others running in and pillaging all the deer you've spent the year trying to attract to your area.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
After reading all this;-/ neither is fair. Pin in others can hunt where u have seen a big buck. If u go in there and kill a nice one. Others hunters show up.
Private areas. Well you work on a spot. Improve the area. Get the deer there. Don’t shoot does. Start getting big deer. Not fair to the new guy who has not done nothing. Some say he paid the same. Well only that one year. The other guy has paid for 10 plus years. In Theory has paid the whole lease price once being there many years. The new guy don’t see it that way. We all paid the same this year. He don’t see rank has its privileges. The guy who has been there 10 years got in and got that spot when it was the only one then. Aka not the best then. Over 10 years of hunting hard has been successful.
Now his spot seems to be gravey. Aka the best.

So if you want pin in no private. Join that club.
If you want private and want that join that club.

Some how neither seems fair after reading ? all this. ?

Thank you, I see some good out of that post.
It helped.