Hunting is soooo expensive.

Gone Fishin

Kid that goes to school with my son wants to go hunting. He is welcome to go with us. The problem is it will cost him $170 to go sit with my son for 2 mornings and an afternoon (ON LAND THAT I OWN AND PAY TAXES ON EVERY YEAR). I guess that he will just never get to hunt. It is okay: We don't need any young people to continue our traditions.

charlie81

Why don’t you take him hunting on some public land in your state? .... not trying to be a jerk or start an argument. Just a thought.

175rltw

BANNED
You
Kid that goes to school with my son wants to go hunting. He is welcome to go with us. The problem is it will cost him $170 to go sit with my son for 2 mornings and an afternoon (ON LAND THAT I OWN AND PAY TAXES ON EVERY YEAR). I guess that he will just never get to hunt. It is okay: We don't need any young people to continue our traditions.

You’re land, sure. But that’s not the only place he can hunt and even on your land it’s The people of Georgia's game animals held in trust by the state. Not yours. $170 buys him access to our wildlife, as well as our public lands. It’s pretty disingenuous to suggest that that $170 only gets him 3 sits on your land.
Hey- here’s what you can do- buy a pig, or a goat or something, put it out in your land and let him shoot it. Your land your animal your business.

I agree that $170 is a lot of money to pay to learn to sit and watch a corn feeder.

Possum

Banned
How old is the kid? When I first read your post it sounded like the boys were in elementary school. But I’m guessing these are collage boys? Over 18? Those are men, tell him to man up. They spent more than that every week on beer and concert tickets.

Possum

Banned
Or you could just be a cool dad and let the boy come hunt a weekend without a license? I won’t tell the game warden if you don’t. Those boys are probably gonna end up riding the four wheeler around and shooting more armadillos than deer hunt anyways.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Or you could just be a cool dad and let the boy come hunt a weekend without a license? I won’t tell the game warden if you don’t. Those boys are probably gonna end up riding the four wheeler around and shooting more armadillos than deer hunt anyways.
This is what I’d do !

175rltw

BANNED
Don’t know if teaching kids, young men, whoever that it’s ok to blow off game laws for a day qualifies as being a cool dad. Is it just game laws- or pretty much any law that prevents you from doing what you want as long as it’s just for a day or so?

Possum

Banned
Don’t know if teaching kids, young men, whoever that it’s ok to blow off game laws for a day qualifies as being a cool dad. Is it just game laws- or pretty much any law that prevents you from doing what you want as long as it’s just for a day or so?

Oh come on it’s not like spotlighting deer or something. Everybody breaks a law once in a while. I’m sure I probably went over the speed limit on way to deer camp yesterday. I don’t see any harm in a weekend hunt on private land without a license. More than that, I’d say he should pay his dues. But now that I think about it someone else posted that it’s not actually anywhere near $170 for a weekend hunt so I guess this is all just rambling for nothin anyways. Either way, hope the boy gets to go hunting.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I spend $400 a year in licenses and tags to hunt on my own land in SC.

buckpasser

Just game laws. :)

175rltw

BANNED
So far this year I’m in for Idaho elk, deer, bear, wolf, fishing
Wyoming fishing
Florida salt and freshwater fishing
Colorado fishing
Michigan deer combo plus fishing
And my Georgia license.

It is expensive. Thank god I got no lease to pay for I’d have to give up hunting.

A weekend at the farm/lease/club etc isn’t going to make anyone a hunter anyway so don’t worry about not saving the future of the sport- it wouldn’t have. Maybe taking him to a WMA or national forest- teaching him where he can go hunt without owning land, teaching him where to look for deer and why when he gets to a new place- that stuff might make a hunter.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Contact DNR. They may have some program where a new person can hunt one time with out the lic.
Can’t rember. Maybe someone else will chime in on this.