Hunting Pressure

Bnathanb1982

I just recently aquired a little bit of land to hunt between a neighborhood and hwy 20, adjacent to the mall of Ga. My brother killed a doe out there yesterday and there is a big buck out there that has been seen by the guy letting us hunt every evening. My question is, being that it's such a small tract, how often does a guy hunt it without overhunting it. I know everyone's opinions vary but I know there are a lot of very knowledgeble people on this board and am looking for opinions. Btw this is of course a bow hunting only place.

Thanks
Nathan

GeauxLSU

Bnathanb1982 said:
I just recently aquired a little bit of land to hunt between a neighborhood and hwy 20, adjacent to the mall of Ga. My brother killed a doe out there yesterday and there is a big buck out there that has been seen by the guy letting us hunt every evening. My question is, being that it's such a small tract, how often does a guy hunt it without overhunting it. I know everyone's opinions vary but I know there are a lot of very knowledgeble people on this board and am looking for opinions. Btw this is of course a bow hunting only place.

Thanks
Nathan
There's no pressure until the deer knows you are there. If you hunt it 100 times without ever letting the deer no, it's no pressure. Start from the down wind side and work your stand further in on consecutive trips. Never cross a trail. Course, not many places for him to run to there. Hope you get him. Being in such a populated area, if people have regularly traveled the property (either known or unknown) could work to your benefit obviously.

H

HT2

Nathan.......

I think it depends on the surroundings...........

In certain places, pressure may be 4 wheelers running rampad through the woods all the time.........

Other places might be airplanes flyin' over.......

Whatever the case, until the deer get use to it (which takes some time), I don't think they will ever feel as if the pressure is off.........

I know that is 2 totally different senario's..........

But, I've got a buddy that has acerage behind his house and the deer will hear car's, truck's, planes, etc........And, act like if nothing is wrong and just go on with their business........

IMO.......

I think the deer and hunting area you are referrin' to would be more "relaxed" with all what's goin' on........

Give it a shot....... :)

short stop

hunting land such as what you described --deer are coomonly used to human pressure ----They are surrounded by asphalt -- I have hunted near and around the area you are hunting yrs ago while in the contracting biz ----I have seen some B/C class deer within a rocks throw of red lights and stores ,you will not pressure those deer to hard unless you hurt one or literally run him across a paved rd --usually once jumped IMO EXPERINCES the deer only bounded 3or 4 times , ONCE A GOOD 100 YRDS AWAY THEY SIMPLY LOOKED AT THE FUNNY MAN WITH THE POINTED STICK . '' ROCK BOTTOM ''is a pro at urban hunting maybe he can chime in on this thread . SS

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
As mentioned before I think it depends on how many times you bump or disturb him. On small parcels of land this may happen more. I leased 75 acres right outside the city limits of Monticello this year and I worry about running the deer off by hunting it too much. Have only been in there once and my brother has bow hunted it once too. May wait till November to hunt it again.
IMO anytime you make a deer feel like he/she is in danger, they will associate human interaction as danger and move on.

carabrook

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our property is only 85 acres and we are there usually at least once a week and often several times per week working on things, checking cameras and now hunting. I believe they get very used to traffic and only fuss about the abnormal. I dont know how many times we have worked somewhere on the property driven ATVs around etc and returned to our camp for a drink or dinner, sat on the porch and seen deer grazing on a small plot 100 yds away. We have an area about 1 acre fenced at the camp so we can take our dogs with us on weekends and I have even seen the deer standing 30 feet outside the fence watching the dogs (4 of them, 2 large and 2 small) playing inside the fence. My theory is whatever you do during normal times, on a regular basis keep it up and they dont get fussed. Think about how many deer farmers see while working, or loggers. I have talked to lots of timber guys that were on a lease we belonged to before and they were always telling me about seeing deer walking through as they worked.

bradpatt03

i have been regularly hunting a similar tract for that past few years. it has a road on one side, a gas station on one side, and a neighborhood surrounding the remainder. you'd think the deer would be dumb...but i think they are smarter...they have smelled humans, they have heard/seen them. they know what is normal and what isn't. they are always on alert, too. but there are lot's of em!!! :cool:

btw- that sounds like an area where we used to ride 4wheelers that your hunting...lots of big deer back there..