I’m officially a fan of bear meat!

That looks great! I always laugh hilariously when folks say that bear meat isn't good. They've never eaten any, obviously, or they really, really don't know how to cook, or let it rot before they processed it, one. Bear meat is the best wild meat out there. I ate many a biscuit back in the day made with rendered bear fat, too.
Knew a fella who said bear fat would cure stomach ailments

FOLES55

I hate you guys!!!

I’ve never eaten bear before and this is killing me!!

I wanna Hunt, Shoot and Eat a BEAR now!!

Looks great guys, I’m hungry again now.

strothershwacker

108lbs of it hung on my back for 2 miles. If that counts as letting it hang then yes. Keep ice at the truck. By the way the adjustable sternum strap on your Alps Outdoors pack isn't up for the challenge. Had to paracord mine together. Made a much needed modification to it when I got home.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One observation: Stalked bears taste a lot better than dogged bears, but they're both good.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
One observation: Stalked bears taste a lot better than dogged bears, but they're both good.

It's my opinion that folks who claim bear meat is terrible have suffered from 1 of 2 things:
1 The bear was dogged for miles and died with his adrenaline and lactic acid built up
or
2 The bear was paraded around town in the back of a truck for most of the day and the meat began to spoil

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's my opinion that folks who claim bear meat is terrible have suffered from 1 of 2 things:
1 The bear was dogged for miles and died with his adrenaline and lactic acid built up
or
2 The bear was paraded around town in the back of a truck for most of the day and the meat began to spoil
Yep. And maybe whoever gutted it poked the guts and the bladder to boot.

The mtn man

Just make sure you get it hot enough to kill the possibility of triganosis, i think thats the correct grammer. Bear is as good or better than any wild game, squirrel happens to be my favorite, like others said, if people are meat eaters and dont like it, its because they either cant cook, or they didnt take care of the carcuss after the kill.

Killer Kyle

The food's looking good JB!!! I have been eating the fool out of mine, and my supply is quickly disappearing. I've been enjoying bear burgers a lot lately. My favorite kind is bear burger with bacon on a brioche bun with pimento cheese, jalapenos, strawberry jam, and BBQ sauce. kind-of like the "Clarkesville Burger" from Midtown Grill.

Several weeks ago, my father took the leap and asked me to cook him a bear burger. He has never eaten bear before. He took a bite of the burger, chewed it up and swallowed it. Took another bite and swallowed it and looked at my mother and said "It.........it might actually be better than beef!!" He absolutely could not believe how good it was.
I've got another bear lined up to hunt on Chattahoochee during the November rifle hunt. Hoping it stays put so I can get after it in a couple weeks!

14mexjl.jpg

jbogg

The food's looking good JB!!! I have been eating the fool out of mine, and my supply is quickly disappearing. I've been enjoying bear burgers a lot lately. My favorite kind is bear burger with bacon on a brioche bun with pimento cheese, jalapenos, strawberry jam, and BBQ sauce. kind-of like the "Clarkesville Burger" from Midtown Grill.

Several weeks ago, my father took the leap and asked me to cook him a bear burger. He has never eaten bear before. He took a bite of the burger, chewed it up and swallowed it. Took another bite and swallowed it and looked at my mother and said "It.........it might actually be better than beef!!" He absolutely could not believe how good it was.
I've got another bear lined up to hunt on Chattahoochee during the November rifle hunt. Hoping it stays put so I can get after it in a couple weeks!

14mexjl.jpg

Now that’s a tasty looking burger Kyle. Outstanding! Did you add any fat to the bowl before grinding? And did the burgers hold together well on the grill?

tree cutter 08

That's a good looking burger Kyle! I been playing around this last year and have come up with some good combos. Might have to try the strawberry jam. Throw a grilled slice of peach on yours next time and see what ya think.

GAbullHunter

Sure nuf some fine cuisine restaurant looking style meals I'd say... ? where do you start with the knife an fork nevermind I got hands!

Buckman18

It’s been hard for me to eat bear meat since I found that hikers toe in one while field dressing it a few years back near the AT.

Killer Kyle

Now that’s a tasty looking burger Kyle. Outstanding! Did you add any fat to the bowl before grinding? And did the burgers hold together well on the grill?
jbogg, I did add fat. I processed my own. I trimmed until I had to try and find fat to trim off. It turned out really lean. I ground almost two whole hams. Just left out a little pack for stew. I threw in three packs of the cheapest bacon that I could find. Can't remember the name. I just ground the bacon and set it aside. Ground the bear and kneaded in tje ground bacon very, very thoroughly. I tjen course ground it all again, and kneaded again, and then weighed and packaged.
I havent had time to put them on a grill get (I'm a charcoal man). I've been gettimg home late and just frying them in a skillet. They hold together (my way) just like any beef. They cook into a perfect patty.

Today, I saw a random advertisement on FB that was from Matthews Archery. It included their recipe for "Harvest Stew'. Its a simple and unique way of making a venison stew (similar to a beef stew recipe), but it would make a killer bear stew to serve on top of a massive pile of thick mashed potatoes. It included sprigs of Thyme which I love in a stew or salisbury steak or xune steak and gravy. It included red currant jelly which I would substitute strawberry jam for, and included mushrooms. I stumbled upon a bunch of Black trumpet mushrooms in the NF, so I plan to toss those in there.

Killer Kyle

That's a good looking burger Kyle! I been playing around this last year and have come up with some good combos. Might have to try the strawberry jam. Throw a grilled slice of peach on yours next time and see what ya think.
I'm down with trying a slice of peach on a burger. I know Midtown Grill has a birger with peaches on it. Recipes like these sound strange, but they remind me of the Monte Cristo sandwich at Cheddars. It is a turkey and ham sandwich on white toast bread with swiss and provolone cheeses (I THINK). It is battered, deep fried, sprinkled with confectioners sugar, and served with raspberry dipping syrup.
Sounds like a crazy combination, but the point is that sandwiches like that appeal to almost every single taste sensation that humans love, all in a single sandwich.
Greasy, fatty, sweet, fruity, spicy, tart, cheesey, meaty, bready, BBQ-y.
You can make one sandwich that appeals to so many different flavor sensations all at once. I absolutely love doing burgers that way!