I Almost Threw My Son Out Of The Deer Stand Today

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Deer camp is a quiet place when they all ger grown up and busy. You’re in the sweet spot, dig it.

I can attest to this fundamental truth. Sop it up now. Make those memories and stow them away in a safe place where you will never forget where they are.

zedex

Gator Bait
My daughter, who never calls me dad or pop, but by name, went with me on a hunt when she was 6.

We already had a pop-up blind set up and some sticks and leaves tossed on it. The woods were dead silent. I already told her we have to be as silent as the woods so the deer won't notice us.

No deer showed up that morning but a wandering herd of elk finally appeared.

The first one to appear got her attention and she yelled out "Michael!!!! Shoot!!!" And those elk took to running. Needless to say, no shooting occurred. After they disappeared in the woods, my daughter turns and says "they can run fast, cant they?". I patted her on the head as I agreed.

We took down the blind and headed home. Her ma asked if we had any luck and my daughter pipes up with "there was some great big deers but I think Michael was scared to shoot them"......

Kids.. you cant just drop them off at the fire station anymore

srb

Had my Two out Thursday , Let’s try to be loud as we can....Pick up sticks rocks anything....Also who can climb the ladder faster...

Bullochcountyhunter

I have my kids part time. My little boy, 8 loves to go with me. First time out we get settled in a double stand. Right at daylight, he leans over and whispers " daddy I've got to use the bathroom". I'm like just stand up and go over the side of the stand. " No, dad, it's a number 2." So I grab some wipes for him and down he goes. Walks a mere 10 feet behind stand and let's it loose lol. I'm too busy laughing and shaking my head to notice the doe that has walked out and is all curious of what's going on. He finishes and climbs back up, whole time doe is standing less than 20 yards away, head turned sideways, with a " what is that look on her face". I didn't have the heart to shoot her, just made a great memory.

zedex

Gator Bait
It is unreal how loud candy wrappers, cracker packs, etc. are in a stand!
????
It is unreal. Makes you realize all the noise pollution we've come to ignore.

When I head to the woods, I take no food, no drink. I wont even eat the day before going just I dont get caught in a desperate bathroom urgency.

Go empty, hunt empty, graze like cattle when I get home

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member

When I head to the woods, I take no food, no drink. I wont even eat the day before going just I dont get caught in a desperate bathroom urgency.

I'm not that hardcore.

poohbear

Can't do this cooking and eating is half of the experience Lol

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Just don’t do what I did and be too hard on them.. I think I’ve ruined my son on deer hunting. I was more lenient on my daughter and she still goes with me from time to time. My son hunts on his own now but rarely wants to go. He’s all about ducks and turkeys but just doesn’t care for deer. May or may not be my fault but keep it in mind.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Go with the flow bro. You cant push a buck in the truck no matter how hard you try. That answer sums up all deer hunting and location location location sums up all questions about deer hunting. Learn those two and you’ll have a full freezer full of fun every season.

poohbear

Just don’t do what I did and be too hard on them.. I think I’ve ruined my son on deer hunting. I was more lenient on my daughter and she still goes with me from time to time. My son hunts on his own now but rarely wants to go. He’s all about ducks and turkeys but just doesn’t care for deer. May or may not be my fault but keep it in mind.
Yeah could be I have 2 sons 1 loves to hunt and his 2 are loving it if we can get them trained, but my other son never caught on to it , I carried him when he wanted to go he even shot at one but missed but he never liked it much , he would rather play on a computer but I never pushed it on him. I guess we all have different strokes. But he was the only person that I carried hunting that didn't care to keep going.

zedex

Gator Bait
You cant push a buck in the truck no matter how hard you try.

This is true. I see deer along the side of the road every day. They wander around town, on school grounds... I've even passed a few that were walking along side of the road between the fog line and edge of pavement. As much as I can, I'll stop and offer them a ride. Not a single deer has taken me up on that.

7Mag Hunter

Took my Grandson hunting several times:

1st time: hunting LARGE wooden stand on club land and i agreed he should take his BB gun with him....Had to climb down 2-3 times to retrieve BB gun after he dropped it...

2nd time: Same LARGE wooden club stand (very comfy) and after repeated reminders to "be quiet", ,,,All of a sudden he yells out , Look POP a deer "!!!!!!.....I look in the area he is pointing and see a large doe run off with tail up.......We went back to camp and had bacon and eggs >>>>>> LOL

Meriwether Mike

My two could never last more than 5 minutes in the stand without a commotion. I finally started dividing them up between me and my wife. It was better, but still required short hunts. I can still remember my youngest and his head bob as he fought sleep. I was there when they both got the first deer. The oldest got his first doe on a Next Generation Sportsman hunt at Burnt Pine Plantation with a muzzle loader which I filmed. The youngest killed his first; a seven point buck; down on the river in Centralhatchee over in Heard County. They are 35 and 32 now and got too busy to hunt once college rolled around years ago.

nkbigdog

With mine it was also a challenge but the memories were worth the Patience and rewarding. Today you fathers have it made compared to my time, we did not have tablets, or cell phones...Son and I hunted out of a elevated box blind, always had a heater and sleeping bag standing by..He showed an interest at the tender age of 4 when he was doing T-ball. Well I told him nothing comes easy in life, but he had to pass a qualifying test before he could go..I said ok here are the rules you must follow, like that would ever work:) we went to the stand before the season started to make sure no hornets or waspers had made nest..Once we thoroughly cleaned the stand, I gave him the challenge....Stand next to one of the fip out windows and do not move for 5 minutes be quiet and follow directions..Truly surprised me he did, that season after we put out the food plots. I told him we would hunt together but, he had to understand it takes hard work to get ready for the season. He hunted with me until College, boy those times are fond memories...He learned so much about responsibility, ethics, patience, cooking over the fire, and most important sportsmanship..I envy you with young ones taking the time that is so important today..Boy I could right a book on his humor and some of the things he has done at camp. All the guys took him out to cut firewood, clean deer, cook, oh and hunt. Kids still flock to me and call me uncle, and I really enjoy challenging a young mind..Love seeing the light bulb go on when they understand..Just the rants of a old man, but so rewarding

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I have my kids part time. My little boy, 8 loves to go with me. First time out we get settled in a double stand. Right at daylight, he leans over and whispers " daddy I've got to use the bathroom". I'm like just stand up and go over the side of the stand. " No, dad, it's a number 2." So I grab some wipes for him and down he goes. Walks a mere 10 feet behind stand and let's it loose lol. I'm too busy laughing and shaking my head to notice the doe that has walked out and is all curious of what's going on. He finishes and climbs back up, whole time doe is standing less than 20 yards away, head turned sideways, with a " what is that look on her face". I didn't have the heart to shoot her, just made a great memory.

Should have uncorked one at the same time he did ???

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Nintendo game boys work wonders in the deer stand