I attend meetings for a living

Thread starter #1

sinclair1

Just getting back into the workforce after 5 years of self employment. I had one job at the first of the year that I bailed and took my current job.

I like this one much better, but like the last one, I have a calendar slap full of meetings. Literally 5 hrs a day just sitting in meeting rooms.

I guess current times have found meetings to be imporatant, but where I spent 25 years prior, they found them unproductive and we seldom had them.

Pappy hates meetings nearly as bad as he does Obummer

most meetings = waste of time

Pappy knows one company where the Plant Manager called all the supervisors together every morning, and went over a list of 200 employees, listing each one that was absent or late. Like every department head needed to know that a forklift driver in the warehouse was 5 minutes late this morning..... it drove the supervisors insane, but they couldn't get him to stop doing it. every day. Stupid if ya ask me.

After the absent/late section of the meeting, they all went over production numbers. They actually had the safety and HR supers sit in a meeting about production numbers. Every day.

Thread starter #7

sinclair1

Tommorow it's systems at 9am, then up the ladder for a meeting about production at 10am , then department meeting at 11am. Lunch at 12. Then meet with lead guys in my department to go over what came up in the up the ladder meeting at 2pm. Maybe write up some warnings or do some time sheet stuff and go home at 4pm.

This new school type company doesn't want me working over as it's bad for their work life balance reviews on Glassdoor, so it's basically 8 hours and drive home thinking I didn't even earn my pay.

We also seem to find reasons for the company to buy us lunch by throwing a meeting at the start of lunch.

Use to have that problem. Worse than a meeting are the conference calls that just go on and on.

Then an od wise man pointed out that I got paid exactly as much for a meeting or a conf. call as doing something productive.

And with that piece of advice, Ifound inner peace.

As long as the check at the end of the month clears, I'm going where they want me to go.

NOYDB

The best part of a meeting is the coffee and eats.

I spent entirely too much time in meeting right before I retired. There is always the guy that tries to impress the boss with his very "serious" questions.

mark-7mag

Now we know why Sinclair no longer post during the day time

flynlow

Student at the Hard Knock School of Aerodynamics
Sounds a lot like a company I work for...meetings to schedule meetings and then meetings to micro-manage everyone's compliance. The corporate clubbings shall continue until morale improves is their motto I believe.

Sounds like they are wasting all their profits on meetings. I would walk the plant during the meetings and see if everything was running good without the middle managers. Then I would enter the meeting with pink slips in hand for those who scheduled said meetings.

Crakajak

Just getting back into the workforce after 5 years of self employment. I had one job at the first of the year that I bailed and took my current job.

I like this one much better, but like the last one, I have a calendar slap full of meetings. Literally 5 hrs a day just sitting in meeting rooms.

I guess current times have found meetings to be imporatant, but where I spent 25 years prior, they found them unproductive and we seldom had them.
I have 1 meeting per quarter that lasts 15 minutes to go over p&l with the employees. They appreciate that. I let them do what they were hired for.

I spent entirely too much time in meeting right before I retired. There is always the guy that tries to impress the boss with his very "serious" questions.
No kidding. The guy doesn't understand the code of silence. When he begins to speak every other person in the room shifts in their, sighs, and rolls their eyes. Back in the day that guy would get jumped in the parking lot.

Thread starter #17

sinclair1

Now we know why Sinclair no longer post during the day time
Just now going to lunch, then I work for an hour and hit the house. It’s a good job, I just spent most of my life at a company that never had meetings unless there was an issue.