I finally speared a hog

I get the feeling from watching your video you have very high standards for yourself. You did great! That drive will take you far correctly applied. 99.9% of the people in the world don't have the gumption to follow through when things are tuff. I don't think you will ever have that problem.

Bowcephus

Banned
I get the feeling from watching your video you have very high standards for yourself. You did great! That drive will take you far correctly applied. 99.9% of the people in the world don't have the gumption to follow through when things are tuff. I don't think you will ever have that problem.
Thanks bud. Hunting is not life or death for me, but it is for my prey. Therefore the least a hunter can do is take all measures to ensure a quick, relatively painless kill. This responsibilty is magnified when I choose to take a less lethal weapon such as a spear or a bow to add to the challenge aka my enjoyment. I owe it to the animal to do everything possible to be extremely proficient with that weapon. As you get into less and less technologically advanced weapons a dilemma of fairness to the animal vs lethality is created. A bow or spear allows much greater chance of escape and challenge to the hunter than a high powered rifle but also provides greater odds of a non lethal hit. This is where that responsibility of extreme proficiency comes in. It leaves me thinking had I just worked a little harder/practiced a little more maybe I’d have made a better throw.
In this case I do believe the hog died quickly,as the exit hole was a foot wide and it’s entire guts were hanging out, and we were 50 yards from it right after I speared it and didn’t hear it. But the goal is to kill it quickly AND recover it and in this case my throw was insufficient to lead to a timely recovery

Last edited:

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Great hunt. Love the dedication, I am curious how long did you stay in the stand before you made the kill. Mosquitos must have been pretty bad?

misterpink

The hunters who were forced to rely on a spear for hunting ages ago were probably not burdened by worrying about humane kills. We have the luxury of having too much time to overthink. You honored the life of the animal. Keeping traditions alive, respect for life and death, sharing experiences with your fellow hunters to help them find success ('digital sharing ' counts just as much as 'round the campfire sharing'). Dude, hold your head up high. You are doing it the right way.

Rob

I have a ton of respect for your work ethic and your Christian values. Hold tight to your standards and you will hit your goals in hunting and life in general. I also really enjoy your videos - great job!

bany

Enjoyed your spear adventure! Glad you confirmed the kill. Even though you lost the meat you gained the objective! Nice.