I found Jake!

Curvebow05

Well yesterday marked another momentous occasion in my hunting life. I killed my first turkey at Tuckahoe. I would love to say it was a mature gobbler but instead it was a hard earned Jake. Here's how it went down, after setting up in a great area with tons of sign, no birds recognized my incredible calling prowess so I went on a walkabout. Somewhere around mile two I spotted a group of jakes off in the woods. Once I realized they didn't care about my clucks and yelps and random squeaks I took off after them. I followed them for about 350 yards slinking my way through the pines and assorted trip hazards like a 3 legged cat chasing a squirrel. I was able to close the distance to 35 yards and picked out the longest beard of the bunch and stood up ready to shoot. Mr Longest Beard of the Group poked his head up wondering why Sasquatch was pointing a gun at him and took a Longbeard XR #5 to the noggin. He hit the ground like a sack of potatoes and all of his buddies came running over to see why he was having seizures and spasms. I decided to give them a free pass since my beard was longer than theirs were. FYI, even little birds get heavy when you have to carry them over a mile. I definitely learned a lot and being able to follow a group of birds unnoticed was pretty cool. Even better than the hunt was seeing the excitement on my little boy's face when I got home. A couple more years and he will be headed out with me. Now to try it all again next week!

Attachments

• B8AA01BA-5C0C-44E1-827D-870E5EC097C4.jpg
    B8AA01BA-5C0C-44E1-827D-870E5EC097C4.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 563

wvdawg

Staff member
Looks like a good one! Congrats on your success! Keep after them!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Thats a big jake!
Congrats!!!!

NUTT

Congrats to you on your first turkey! Hope one day you will be able to carry that young man and get his first one as well. Pretty good woodsman skills to stalk within 35 yards of a flock of turkeys.

baddave

that's a nice "jake"..

Curvebow05

I'm guessing Jake since he had nubs for spurs. He coulda been older. I'm no pro when it comes to aging turkeys.

snuffy

Not bad.
Congratulations.
He will eat good!
Thanks for sharing.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Congrats. It does take some skill to kill one like you did. I had one of this super jakes come in on me gobbling this year. He got rolled. Had a 5 1/2" paint brush