I have an invention idea- now what?

Jasper

Have any of you ever invented anything that you had patented or marketed? What's the best way of going about it?

I'm very involved in baseball with my kids and have come up with what I think is a great training aid for hitting.

I've looked at baseball training aids on the Internet and what I've come up with is better than lots of them. I can't find anything like it either.

I know there are companies out there that will take your idea and market it for a fee. I've never done anything like this and don't know if that's best way to go.

Suggestions? Thanks!

QuakerBoy

I would talk to a lawyer with experience in the patent process. Then go from there. Get your name on the "idea" then you can continue from there.

willbuck

Patent lawyer. Pay the man to do a patent search and start your process if there is nothing out there like it.

reylamb

Keep in mind, that just because there is nothing on the market lke it, does not mean that there is not a similar item out there with an existing patent.

If you are serious get an attorney, stay away from the TV commercials and groups that will patent your idea for you. Also, be prepared, the process costs a bunch of money, what you may have to ultimately decide is whether you can make back the initial investment in the patent search and filings.

WishIwuzhuntin

Patent

There is a website called nolo.com with a lot of do it yourself legal products. I think the submission kit runs around $150 which is much cheaper than a legimate patent attorney. Even if you do use an attorney, there is a lot of work you can do yourself and minimize what you are gonna pay $250 an hour for.

The most important thing you can do right now is start documenting your idea, drawings, detailed descriptions, etc. A lot of this you can do yourself and save the legal fees. There are a lot of rip-offs out there on patents. They range from overcharging you to outright stealing your idea. There is also a lot of information on the patent office website. I do not remember it right off but it's easily found with a search. You can also search the patent database to see if your idea has already been patented.

Good luck. I believe invention is a cornerstone of our wonderful capitalist system. I hope you make millions, just remember all your Woody's buddies-lol.

CAL

Been there and done that! Cost me a ton of $ to find out that a patent is really not worth a whole lots.Reason,someone can take your idea and flood the market with it simply by changing something very insignificant.Yes,you can take them to court.By the time you do all that the someone has made the money and all you have is a pile of lawyer fees and court cost!

I had a Patent Lawyer located in Washington,DC.He told me one thing and then other things begin to develope.Every time I turned around he needed more money.My hook was hung and I didn't know what or who to talk to.So I kept sending him money till I said enough is enough.Oh,I got a patent alright.There was a man making my item and my design,I sent him a letter from a atorney.All he did was take my idea and change the design some and kept going.He still builds the tool today on an order basis.The first couple of years he made some real money!!

I had another idea for a peanut cleaner and took it to some engineers who were employed by the federal government.Thinking I could trust them for sure.One was a friend I thought.Well,they talked against it to the point where I sorta put it on the back burner.Next thing I know I see my design for sale in a farming magazine with my so called friends name on it as the inventor.He had patented my design and had someone building the machine.At the time this machine was selling for $50,000.00.

Good luck with your idea cause you are going to need all you can get.

Duff

Thats a shame to alex. Just like stealing to me :mad:

I was checking into the same kind of thing last year and lucky for me, my bud that works w/me, his dad had a couple of patents and pretty much gave the same advice you did. He said they hid his invention(it was for the factory where he worked) and used it, under security, for almost 2 years before the machine was discovered. They did this because they knew if they did patent it, someone would copy it 99.9% same as his.

Jasper

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

I'm going to do some research on my own and decide what the best route is.

I'm leaning toward just attempting to sell the idea to a company that can manufacture and distribute it. I just don't have the time and money to patent, manufacture, advertise and distribute it on my own.

I'll let ya'll know how it works out.

letsgohuntin

Jasper said:
Thanks for the info and suggestions.

I'm leaning toward just attempting to sell the idea to a company that can manufacture and distribute it. I just don't have the time and money to patent, manufacture, advertise and distribute it on my own.

I'll let ya'll know how it works out.

That sounds like to me the best thing to do. Looks like it takes a lot of money up front to get an invention rolling.

CAL

Jasper,
In all my ranting I forgot to mention that a first time inventor can get a patent almost for free.I found this out after I spent $6000.00 with a patent lawyer.I am not sure how this happens but I know it does happen.If you do some checking I am sure you will find out how that works.May I say to be careful who you talk to and what you say.When money is involved,not many honest people out there.I promise I found this out the hard way!
Again,good luck with your invention.Personally I hope you do well.

WishIwuzhuntin

Provisional Patent

It is fairly simple and inexpensive to get a provisional patent, that is what it is whenever you see "patent pending." It gives you the protection of protecting your "intellectual property" or idea in laymen's terms and allows you to move ahead on offering your idea to industry without having it stolen. The Gov. website is www.uspto.gov . Check it out. Don't be intimidated and don't give up. You may or may not ever get anywhere, but it's kinda like hunting--You definitely wont succeed if if you don't go. I personally want to wish you luck and encourage you to go for it.

P.S. My daughter is on a traveling fast-pitch softball team. We are hoping for a scholarship. So when this training aid of yours becomes available I may your first customer.

Good Luck,
David

Jasper

Thanks for the encouragement David. I'll check out that website today. Once I get my patent, I'll send you one free of charge.

Best of luck to your daughter. I hope she gets that scholarship!

Bow Only

Jasper, my archery invention had it's patent approval finalize last month. It wasn't easy and it did cost about $6000. Very tricky wording and any company with money can go around you if they so choose. It's tough. My reccommendation is if the market is there and there is enough sales revenue to be made, get the best attorney you can. Make it as difficult as possible to get around your patent. I had several claims that weren't allowed but they were valid claims. It just depends on your examiner. If I can help let me know.