"I have been anointed"

ambush80

I just heard a former Baptist preacher turned Imam say that he has been "anointed to preach the word of God".

I guess I hadn't heard that kind of language in some time but it struck me just as ever before as positively frightening. This guy thinks that God has chosen him to tell people what's right and wrong and how to live because he believes that God has given him the ability to interpret scripture. And people will believe him.......

Positively frightening.

660griz

It is also scary how often this happens. Folks being told by God to...
Some are in it for the money or power. Some are just bat &$*% crazy.

ky55

It is also scary how often this happens. Folks being told by God to...
Some are in it for the money or power. Some are just bat &$*% crazy.

If y’all remember it hasn’t been very long since a member on here made this comment during a discussion:

“Thanks for recognizing that I am called by God .”

He went on to define his personal church as “mainstream religion”, and even claimed power equal to the disciples.

facepalm:

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
If a man isn’t called, or at least feels that he’s called by God to preach, why dies he bother to burden himself with people and their problems??

Mega rich churches,,,,, yea I’d be skeptical about the money, but what about the broke ones that give up everything for a small congregation?? No money there!!

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
If a man isn’t called, or at least feels that he’s called by God to preach, why dies he bother to burden himself with people and their problems??

Mega rich churches,,,,, yea I’d be skeptical about the money, but what about the broke ones that give up everything for a small congregation?? No money there!!
Similar reasons as to why people permanently transform themselves with implants with surgeries and tattoos from head to toe(think full body head to toe tats, piercings, silicone face implants and sharpen their teeth to look like a cat) and the people who dress up as their favorite characters or animals not just for conventions but every day.
They wholeheartedly believe in what they like. It gives them great pleasure to see themselves and be seen and act in those ways. They are committed to whatever it is that they believe in. Religion/Cults are no different. It gives that person great pleasure to be a part of a group that all love the same thing.
Basically humans are complex, mostly weird and have many wants and needs that make them feel good.
And it ranges from mild to wild and we are all guilty of it in one form or another.
There are a handful of us in "here" every day. Why? Same reason some broke pastor stands in front of 3 dozen people every Sunday. It's one of his many "things" as it is theirs.

Israel

BANNED
Similar reasons as to why people permanently transform themselves with implants with surgeries and tattoos from head to toe(think full body head to toe tats, piercings, silicone face implants and sharpen their teeth to look like a cat) and the people who dress up as their favorite characters or animals not just for conventions but every day.
They wholeheartedly believe in what they like. It gives them great pleasure to see themselves and be seen and act in those ways. They are committed to whatever it is that they believe in. Religion/Cults are no different. It gives that person great pleasure to be a part of a group that all love the same thing.
Basically humans are complex, mostly weird and have many wants and needs that make them feel good.
And it ranges from mild to wild and we are all guilty of it in one form or another.
There are a handful of us in "here" every day. Why? Same reason some broke pastor stands in front of 3 dozen people every Sunday. It's one of his many "things" as it is theirs.

Guilty?

Before what are we guilty?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Guilty?

Before what are we guilty?
Guilty before the judgement of other human beings who are also guilty of accusations of being weirdos by someone else.
No ultimate judge Israel, its just us

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Can’t argue with this......but I know a couple that actually gave up successful businesses to preach to broke congratulations........and have to work for other people to make ends meet.

Israel

BANNED
Guilty before the judgement of other human beings who are also guilty of accusations of being weirdos by someone else.
No ultimate judge Israel, its just us
If men are exactly as you describe...weird, complex (or is it common, simple?)...and man (or better the thing) in that state...is man, then man judges "man" as being guilty of being...man?

LOL! And some describe me as afflicted with self loathing!!!!

How much bandwidth do you want me to use so that any accusation of "using it excessively" might stand finally...universal to agreement? I got an almost innumerable amount of ha ha's...found...is it better, above of all, this man be restrained?

I hear an invitation. To be excessively...man. Who...doesn't?captain obvious.jpg

I easily think it is better then, to be a sparrow.

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Can’t argue with this......but I know a couple that actually gave up successful businesses to preach to broke congratulations........and have to work for other people to make ends meet.
I consider that abnormal, do you?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
If men are exactly as you describe...weird, complex (or is it common, simple?)...and man (or better the thing) in that state...is man, then man judges "man" as being guilty of being...man?

LOL! And some describe me as afflicted with self loathing!!!!

How much bandwidth do you want me to use so that any accusation of "using it excessively" might stand finally...universal to agreement? I got an almost innumerable amount of ha ha's...found...is it better, above of all, this man be restrained?

I hear an invitation. To be excessively...man. Who...doesn't?View attachment 962423

I easily think it is better then, to be a sparrow.
You are going to do what you do regardless. That is what makes you, YOU and that is your normal but weird to me.

My normal is my normal and weird to you.

But at least in here, like everywhere else, it works.

I know you are going say very little about and address the topics at hand directly and will make assertions and claims without anything in the next 10 paragraphs that back any of it up. There will be a daily point in your head that you will want to bring up and no matter what the topic at hand is you will conduct a question and answer session solely with yourself until you work it into the conversation you are having with yourself, and it seems suspiciously geared towards you making it sound like someone else asked you. Then you throw in some KJV verses end it with some Jesus praises and bits of unworthy reasons why you should not be but are...

I get it. That is what you do. That is your part in this world.

I read the first few sentences and skip it. Then curiosity gets the best of me and I go back for a couple more and leave shaking my head, then I still come back a few more times until I read it all. I know what to expect and you know what to expect in return because it is about the only time you address me on topic.

I am sure you feel similarly about my posts and my style of different approach.

We judge each other

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Depends on what your benchmark is.
No, I asked you if you if you think it is abnormal. It is a simple yes or no that is based off of your benchmark, not mine.

1gr8bldr

I see the word "called" used very often.. It's interesting to me that God never calls preachers to low income, or a lower paying churchs? Without fail, they find the position. Then they check out the salary, to see if God is calling or not

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
No, I asked you if you if you think it is abnormal. It is a simple yes or no that is based off of your benchmark, not mine.
Actually you said you consider it abnormal, apparently there’s a benchmark for you.

I don’t see anything abnormal with anyone feeling their calling in life is helping others. If anyone gives up their own to help others and it jeopardizes their family, I would find it hard to say that was normal.

But for the direction of the OP, being anointed / called isn’t always about “look at me”.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Actually you said you consider it abnormal, apparently there’s a benchmark for you.

I don’t see anything abnormal with anyone feeling their calling in life is helping others. If anyone gives up their own to help others and it jeopardizes their family, I would find it hard to say that was normal.

But for the direction of the OP, being anointed / called isn’t always about “look at me”.

I consider that abnormal, do you?
You said that they gave up a successful business to preach to broke congregations and they have to work for others to make ends meet.
I would say that jeopardizes their family. And why I said that I thought it was abnormal and WHY i asked you if you thought it was abnormal.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
You said that they gave up a successful business to preach to broke congregations and they have to work for others to make ends meet.
I would say that jeopardizes their family. And why I said that I thought it was abnormal and WHY i asked you if you thought it was abnormal.
Working for others instead of themselves to make ends meet is not really jeopardizing anyone. They gave up what’s consuming their time of running a business to focus on people. Most of the time when work for others, you make less, but you get to go home when the clock dings and think nothing else of the place until it dings the next day.

Loosing homes, cars, healthcare is. They didn’t loose that.

To me, that’s not “look at me I’m anointed” That’s humility.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Working for others instead of themselves to make ends meet is not really jeopardizing anyone. They gave up what’s consuming their time of running a business to focus on people. Most of the time when work for others, you make less, but you get to go home when the clock dings and think nothing else of the place until it dings the next day.

Loosing homes, cars, healthcare is. They didn’t loose that.

To me, that’s not “look at me I’m anointed” That’s humility.
Your initial description was so vague that it made it sound like they went from riches to rags on purpose.

Madman

There is a huge problem when men hang such titles on themselves. We do not allow it to be done in any secular profession, even barbers must have oversight.