I killed another one yesterday.....but

Arrow3

.....I didnt find her till this morning...The bad thing is she ran across the property line last night...I was hunting by myself...I looked for about 2 hours across on this other property..I about got lost....I had tracked on my hands and knees finding a speck here and there....Bad thing is I knew I made a perfect hit....I lost blood in the rain...Finally had to give up before i really got lost....I hated to leave but didnt really have a choice...I was scared to go in at first light this morning because of M/L season...I went in at about 11 and found her not 50 yards from where I lost last blood....Its disheartning to loose the meat...This deer had ran prob over 300 yards from where I shot it...I looked and the shot was near perfect about 4 inches behind the shoulder and midway high.... I guess i just didnt hit exactly what needed to be hit for a quick kill.....Hopefully the next one will be better...

pendy

Arrow 3

I hope you get another one. Hicountryscott did the same thing to nite. He shot a doe but when they found her she took off running. Scott is just sick about it. He will try to find her in the morning. ::huh:

Duff

Had the same thing happen to me before Brandon. All you can do is give it your best effort to find the deer and sounds like you did just that. Got to look at it as part of bow hunting. It is going to happen.

Jody Hawk

It's happened to me before too. I hate shooting them late in the evening because if your shot is off a little you're out there in the dark trailing them. I am very picky with the shot late like that, last Sunday I had a big doe come in first and she gave me a shot but I wasn't certain that I could make a double lung on her so I passed. Seconds later the smaller doe that I took gave me a ten yard shot and I made a perfect hit. Trailing is no fun alone in the dark !!!!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
It sounds like you did your best to find her at the time of the shot. Keep after them.

Jim

mpowell

sounds like a solid, kill shot to me. she must have had some kind of adrenaline rush to keep going so far. you did your best to find her and that's all you could do. good luck the rest of the season!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Brandon,

Dont let it bother you young man. You did your best to find her that night. This happens to all of us. It has happened to me many times in 25 + years of bow hunting.

I shot a doe last Wednesday evening with what I thought was a clean pass through lung shot. The arrow went through her rib cage like it was hot butter. I figured she was no more than 50 yards away.

Mark and I trailed her across 2 property line, 3 fences, 2 creeks, and lost her in a 100 acre pasture of wet grass.
She just wouldnt die.

It happens to all of us, we have to accept it or give up. I suspect you aint gonna give up are you ??

MM

Arrow3

After seeing the arrow go right where it should I started tracking in about 15 minutes....After not finding her in about 75 yards i backed out and gave her about 30 more before I went back in..

Marvin??
Im heading down this afternoon...Im not giving up...Its happened to me before..Im sure it will happen again...I hope to stick one this afternoon!!!

gabowman

Brandon, it happens. Sounds like you did all you could. I especially liked the fact that you stuck with it till the blood ended. Alot of folks dont even do that, especially when hunting alone in the evenings. I'm with Jody. Usually I put my arrow away when it starts getting dark enough in the bottoms where it could be a slight doubt about what I'm seeing thru my peep sight. It's not much fun crawling around on your hands and knees out in the briar patches by yourself at 10PM at nite during a work week hunting a hurt deer. Anywho.....go get another one. :bounce: :bounce:

GB

Dog Hunter

Arrow3 said:
........I looked for about 2 hours across on this other property..I about got lost......

Better be careful about this. Hopefully you did have permission though. Just wanted to reminder everybody to get permission before crossing over property lines.

Arrow3

Nope....I didnt have permission......I don't even know who owns the land or how to get in touch with them....I wasnt concerned about tresspassing in the dark...All I wanted to do was find my deer..