I predict a record!

GA DAWG

Record bear harvest for North GA this year..What ya'll think?

Backcountry

a lot of bear pics up this year. it could happen

GA DAWG

They are in places they normally are not any also..Most bear and sign I've ever personally saw:hair:

SWbowhunter

It has set a record like 3 of the last 4 years so, you are probably right. Based on the number of complaints this year...bears are doing well!!

bowbuck

Yep I was thinking the same thing the other day. In the past we have had 2 or 3 bears killed either on or around our club. This year we have pictures of close to 10 different bears on the same place. I think lots of people who have never seen or killed bears probably will this year.

SELFBOW

I have no clue.I'm just saying we have lots of em this year:rofl:

In fact, 212 bears were harvested in North Georgia in 2002, with 92 of those taken during hunts on public lands at 14 wildlife management areas (WMAs). That annual total ranks No. 4 on the all-time record bear kill list, not far behind the 245 all-time top kill number, recorded only three years ago in the fall of 2000. Compared to the 21-bruin total taken in 1979, when bear season was first opened in North Georgia, the statistics do point to this being the best time in modern history for Peach State bear hunts

http://www.georgiasportsmanmag.com/hunting/big-game-hunting/ga_aa101203a/

firebiker

I have to agree also.
something that I noticed was that Barrow & Jackson county are included this season in the Hunting reg's (Bear season) I have never known these two counties to be included before.
what does that tell me, maybe some heavy sightings in those areas ?

Resica

In fact, 212 bears were harvested in North Georgia in 2002, with 92 of those taken during hunts on public lands at 14 wildlife management areas (WMAs). That annual total ranks No. 4 on the all-time record bear kill list, not far behind the 245 all-time top kill number, recorded only three years ago in the fall of 2000. Compared to the 21-bruin total taken in 1979, when bear season was first opened in North Georgia, the statistics do point to this being the best time in modern history for Peach State bear hunts

http://www.georgiasportsmanmag.com/hunting/big-game-hunting/ga_aa101203a/

Thank you.
What is the statewide population estimate? I wonder what the statewide harvest record is?

SELFBOW

It was a good article but I see no reference to statewide anything, it looks like it's about North Georgia.

Yet, because of sound wildlife management practices, Georgia's
current black bear population is estimated between 2,300 and 2,500.

http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/assets/documents/Black_Bear.pdf

I haven't found the total number anywhere but you can:

For more information regarding black bears, visit www.georgiawildlife.com, contact a Wildlife
Resources Division Game Management office or call (770) 918-6416. The public also can visit their
local library to check out a copy of an informational DVD entitled, "Where Bears Belong: Black Bears
in Georgia."

GA DAWG

From what I hear from a man that should know...50 BEARS where killed opening weekend!!!!!!!!!!! The records gonna fall in a BIG WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jigman29

I believe it will be a record year also.I have already been nominated to help drag 3 out this year,I am already sick of bears and the season hasn't even started good yet.LOL