I Saved A Life Today!

Very sick. Congrats on capturing something few will witness. Hawks Rawk!!!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Very cool, thanks for sharing

AWESOME series of shots! Looks like the hawk grabbed the racer for lunch, and the snake was able to turn the tables on him. Thanks for posting!:cool:

RW

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
AWESOME series of shots! Looks like the hawk grabbed the racer for lunch, and the snake was able to turn the tables on him. Thanks for posting!:cool:

RW

Thanks! Glad everyone liked the pics.

Philnlucky

Awesome Pics!

Wow! Cool shots of natural selection in progress! The red shouldered hawk is a swamp dweller, and preys mainly on reptiles, frogs, snakes, and such. Looks like the snake decided to turn the tables.......

rosewood

Looks like 2 lives were saved.

egomaniac247

What's interesting about this is that obviously the snake couldn't have swallowed that big of a bird.....it's like the thing was getting revenge for the hawk trying to eat it.

Either that or (more likely) it was trying to kill the hawk to make sure that it could get away.

Silver Britches

Bump for those who may have missed this thread. I wonder How my feathery friend is doing today? I bet he’s sticking to squirrels and frogs. :bounce:

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Bump for those who may have missed this thread. I wonder How my feathery friend is doing today? I bet he’s sticking to squirrels and frogs. :bounce:

Just saw it for the first time, thanks for bumping it I never would’ve seen it.

Amazing photo opportunity you had there Britches, rare to witness it as you did.

The closest I came to anything like that was a Hawk and a squirrel on my driveway under my truck bed. I just happened to open my garage door and stand there as I waited for it to go up. As soon as it cleared my head I took one step out. As I did that a hawk swooped in under my truck parked out on a pad extended off my drivway. As soon as he landed I see a squirrel run at him slapping his front paws on the ground in a defensive display I reckon. Either way the squirrel confronted the hawk.

In the end the hawk had caught movement from me as I took that 1st step out of the garage and looked back over at me. I could tell he wasn’t comfortable with me standing there, so he spun around and abandoned the potential meal.

No photos, it happened quickly, but still cool seeing it.

Again, what an amazing opportunity you had there with photos to boot, thanks!

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Actually I did see a hawk catch a mockingbird that was one of 3 dive bombing the hawk for over an hour or better. I was bush hogging a pasture and the field rats were scurrying the entire time, so I’m sure that’s what the hawk was looking for.

I had been watching it whenever the opportunity allowed me thinking, “that hawk is going to eventually get fed up with that as it had started to confront them somewhat.

2 of the 3 finally pulled off the hawk, but one kept dive bombing it. It wasn’t long and the hawk flew right over me pretty low and there was a big nice limb of a pine up ahead and he dropped his talons, pulled his wings back as if to land, slammed on the brakes and the mockingbird right on his tail feathers could not slow down in time.

It accidentally passed the hawk and it was on like donkey Kong. Hawk was right in mockingbirds tail flapping as fast as he could. It forced the mockingbird to take drastic action and go into a dive. There was a small watering pond for livestock and mockingbird was approaching the surface fast. It tried to pull up at the last second inches from the surface and belly flopped. No sooner than it hit the surface the hawk was on it and flew off up into another huge pine with it. I watched it start plucking it as I continued bush hogging.

Probably the coolest thing I had ever seen, wish I had it on video.

Silver Britches

Just saw it for the first time, thanks for bumping it I never would’ve seen it.

Amazing photo opportunity you had there Britches, rare to witness it as you did.

The closest I came to anything like that was a Hawk and a squirrel on my driveway under my truck bed. I just happened to open my garage door and stand there as I waited for it to go up. As soon as it cleared my head I took one step out. As I did that a hawk swooped in under my truck parked out on a pad extended off my drivway. As soon as he landed I see a squirrel run at him slapping his front paws on the ground in a defensive display I reckon. Either way the squirrel confronted the hawk.

In the end the hawk had caught movement from me as I took that 1st step out of the garage and looked back over at me. I could tell he wasn’t comfortable with me standing there, so he spun around and abandoned the potential meal.

No photos, it happened quickly, but still cool seeing it.

Again, what an amazing opportunity you had there with photos to boot, thanks!
Actually I did see a hawk catch a mockingbird that was one of 3 dive bombing the hawk for over an hour or better. I was bush hogging a pasture and the field rats were scurrying the entire time, so I’m sure that’s what the hawk was looking for.

I had been watching it whenever the opportunity allowed me thinking, “that hawk is going to eventually get fed up with that as it had started to confront them somewhat.

2 of the 3 finally pulled off the hawk, but one kept dive bombing it. It wasn’t long and the hawk flew right over me pretty low and there was a big nice limb of a pine up ahead and he dropped his talons, pulled his wings back as if to land, slammed on the brakes and the mockingbird right on his tail feathers could not slow down in time.

It accidentally passed the hawk and it was on like donkey Kong. Hawk was right in mockingbirds tail flapping as fast as he could. It forced the mockingbird to take drastic action and go into a dive. There was a small watering pond for livestock and mockingbird was approaching the surface fast. It tried to pull up at the last second inches from the surface and belly flopped. No sooner than it hit the surface the hawk was on it and flew off up into another huge pine with it. I watched it start plucking it as I continued bush hogging.

Probably the coolest thing I had ever seen, wish I had it on video.
Great stories. I have seen a lot of crazy things in the woods, but this tops them all. This is why I always try to have a camera with me when out there. I’ve seen hawks catch and drop squirrels. Seeing a squirrel fall out of a tree always gets a chuckle out of me. Squirrels are goofy. :bounce:

Thank you, sir.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Well I've done it again! Started reading this & liking posts & then I got to your bump. I thought, uh oh. Started reading it again & quickly saw it's from years ago.
Glad you bumped it though. That's really cool!

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I found one a few months back also caught by a black snake. Craziest thing I ever came across. I'd say the hawk was a few minutes from death. He flew off fine after Mr. no legs turned him loose.

Attachments

• 20190204_160753-600x800.jpg
    20190204_160753-600x800.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 32