i shot the decoy bear at cohutta

706th1

:cheers: congrats on a good stalk :cheers:

pay no attention to the guys that know everything and always have something bad to say!

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think it's one of the best hunting stories I've heard in a while.

Amarillo1

That's one of the most amusing stories I've ever heard! I laughed so hard I choked and was crying at the same time. Simply amazing.

trckdrvr

I guess now i know where the Wardens and rangers were at...i went by the check station 4 times at differing times and never saw anyone.
The trucks were there, but the windows were all closed with the curtains drawn..even in the middle of the day........trucks there..windows,curtains drawn.(strange)

Oh,and by the way,on the subject of decoys..Y'all be careful they now have a decoy deer that is remote control and can move it's head/tail..........no joke,it's true.

I know the taxidermist who worked on it...very,very real looking.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I guess now i know where the Wardens and rangers were at...i went by the check station 4 times at differing times and never saw anyone.
The trucks were there, but the windows were all closed with the curtains drawn..even in the middle of the day........trucks there..windows,curtains drawn.(strange)

Oh,and by the way,on the subject of decoys..Y'all be careful they now have a decoy deer that is remote control and can move it's head/tail..........no joke,it's true.

I know the taxidermist who worked on it...very,very real looking.

where is the motor and mechanicals located?

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
where is the motor and mechanicals located?

My guess is probably inside the bear somewhere, whouldn't you think? I mean, if they had batteries and servos sitting on the ground beside the decoy and cables and lingages attached to his nose and tail, it would probably be a dead giveaway, wouldn't it?

That would really be pretty easy to design and build. Heck, you can buy Christmas and Halloween decorations and toy animal that have mechanicals to make them move around.

Adirondacker

My guess is probably inside the bear somewhere, whouldn't you think? I mean, if they had batteries and servos sitting on the ground beside the decoy and cables and lingages attached to his nose and tail, it would probably be a dead giveaway, wouldn't it?

That would really be pretty easy to design and build. Heck, you can buy Christmas and Halloween decorations and toy animal that have mechanicals to make them move around.

I'm guessing gobbleinwoods assumed they'd be inside the critter but motors to move heads, ears, and/or tail would get tore up each time an accurate or not so accurate shooting potential poacher plunked it in or near a kill zone. So I understood the question to be "where inside the critter would the motors be so as not to cause significant damage each time it got plunked". These decoys are expensive and clearly meant to be reused as efficiently as possible and the use of these by game officers would have gone the way of the passenger pigeon long ago if there weren't so many road poachers about.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm guessing gobbleinwoods assumed they'd be inside the critter but motors to move heads, ears, and/or tail would get tore up each time an accurate or not so accurate shooting potential poacher plunked it in or near a kill zone. So I understood the question to be "where inside the critter would the motors be so as not to cause significant damage each time it got plunked". These decoys are expensive and clearly meant to be reused as efficiently as possible and the use of these by game officers would have gone the way of the passenger pigeon long ago if there weren't so many road poachers about.

I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal to replace a servo motor....heck, they could pay for it with the fine money. :D

Well...except when it's shot legally...:rofl:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that's funny-one of the best stories I've heard in awhile. At least they stopped you before you gutted it..:bounce:

BornToHuntAndFish

Thanks for the good post. Had a blast with your story. Hope you get a big 'un next time.

706th1

they have had em for a little while. your fine is subject to change (increase ) if you hit the motors. the more damage you do to it, the more they do to your wallet. supposed to have some on tracks too. havent seen any of them though

dadsbuckshot

here is the vest, the road was up hill maybe 60 ft straight up. it was in the mtns

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that decoy in a horseshoe bend between where the road curves? At least it was when I drove by...

Also - why does your vest look like a deer wear orange? Most folks I know use that type vest for bird hunting.

mattb78

Dude, this is an instant classic!

You spot and stalked a decoy bear, shot at it, all the time unknowingly getting a legal chance to scare the crud out of a game warden.

ga alan

DNR called while i was sitting in a tree at piedmont nwr friday. the officer said they were going to pull the warning tickets from my record. he said several people had read about it on here and had called DNR. thanks to everyone, hunt safe, wear lots of orange and do not shoot any decoy bear, deer or pigs ..................

earl

Banned
You are my hero!!!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The plot thickatates.

T