I thought I was retired lol.

Argent11

Nope, gotta a generator down they want me to go fix it. Got another old customer wanting me to look at one, I used to custom build them.
Kids come out with Cummins and they can't even use a VOM.

A sad state of affairs these days. Why send a tech out who doesn't even know what
an ohm is?

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
"a sad state of affairs these days". You ought to try and find Americans that want to frame houses in this Georgia heat. I catch crap because I employ latinos but they're the only ones who will do this work on a consistent basis

Pop

Try finding any tradesman these days that is worth their salt.
Plumbers, Electricians, Framers etc. No one wants to work with their hands or get dirty. The shame of it is that these trades pay good money and can not find good quality people.

Electricians and plumbers in my area are being paid 25 to 30 + an hour and the new hires are always late if they show at all.

transfixer

you can't find young guys that want to get into automotive repair either, a trainee can start around 15 an hour with no experience, and quickly make it up to $20hr or so, just removing transmissions and putting them back in. Don't know who is going to be working on your vehicles in another 10yrs or so , when a lot of us retire.

Argent11

Up and spinning now. Full wave bridge rectifier in the regulator panel shorted out and blew some caps. They still want us to stay
and babysit it for a few hours. It's been a long night.

Last edited:

BassMan31

Nope, gotta a generator down they want me to go fix it. Got another old customer wanting me to look at one, I used to custom build them.
Kids come out with Cummins and they can't even use a VOM.

A sad state of affairs these days. Why send a tech out who doesn't even know what
an ohm is?

You designed generators? That's awesome.

I submit there's no tech who doesn't know about Ohms. If you have someone working on your motors/generators that doesn't know what an Ohm is you're working with a laymen not a technician, certificate or otherwise.

Argent11

Yeah I did, built them, spec them out the whole deal. It was called
Electro Motive Engineering. Which included the ATS switchgear.
ONAN
CAT
Marathon
Lima
Stewart Stevenson
Kohler
Generac
Solar turbines
Wind farms
I can keep listing them, there are so many. 40 years of my life and still counting.

Argent11

I didn't do much with the engines of course but I sure did know about electronic governors when a lot of people didn't .
Woodward
Basler
Governors America
They were a vast improvement over old mechanical.

JohnnyWalker

Try finding any tradesman these days that is worth their salt.
Plumbers, Electricians, Framers etc. No one wants to work with their hands or get dirty. The shame of it is that these trades pay good money and can not find good quality people.

Electricians and plumbers in my area are being paid 25 to 30 + an hour and the new hires are always late if they show at all.

From another point of view: I live in Alabama but this probably applies in Georgia as well.
You hire a contractor to do remodeling or what ever and you get: Sure we can do that. We can start next week on Monday. I will charge $15,000 for that job and if you agree just sign this contract.
Now the good part:
Monday rolls around and either they don't show up and don't answer their phone or they show up around noon with some lame excuse about helpers are sick. Anyway, they begin the job and knock off early for some reason.
They don't show up until Thursday with a full crew and begin work in earnest. On Friday afternoon you get a knock on the door and they want a draw so they can pickup some more materials. If you decline you won't see them again! If you do give them their "draw" it will be a couple of months before they show up again.

Latest posts