I vote Season Ends 1/31

Mark K

Banned
Can’t believe all these hunters that work and don’t get vacation time. I’m all for extending as long as possible. I wouldn’t mind them even having a later start date.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

Can’t believe all these hunters that work and don’t get vacation time. I’m all for extending as long as possible. I wouldn’t mind them even having a later start date.
Not what I’m saying, most hunters have bigger priorities than duck hunting.But why take off 3 days at the opener and 3 days at the closer when you already take Christmas Eve and day off along with New Years. Then they still have to consider their family wanting to go to the beach and or another trip.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

That is why the took the survey. They don't set wildlife season and game laws based on your or my individual preference, although many people seem to think they should. Some people would prefer the season to go as late as possible, some would prefer to maximize weekends. Everyone complains the season should go into February, but obviously anyone with a clue knows it can't go past Jan. 31. The DNR is exploring extending it as long as the possibly can, but if hunter opinion is highly skewed against any changes, I'm sure they probably wouldn't pursue. If most support it, then they will likely take it to Jan. 31st at the expense of a weekend possibly. That is how is should be.
The feds set our maximum season length at 60 days, they already give us those full 60. That will not change if they move it to the 31st or keep it as is. All I’m saying is there are people out there that only have the opportunity to hunt weekends, who will lose hunting days if they’d change it to the 31st.

across the river

It would be two weekends lost.

Doesn't necessarily have to. A lot of states have two splits instead of one. A lot of those states use two splits to run the 60 days out over a longer time from October to the end of Jan.
Then if they did 3 splits and actually added weekends folks would complain the season started too early. Someone is going to moan regardless, but at least they ask for public opinion before just changing it up.

Duckbuster82

Doesn't necessarily have to. A lot of states have two splits instead of one. A lot of those states use two splits to run the 60 days out over a longer time from October to the end of Jan.
Then if they did 3 splits and actually added weekends folks would complain the season started too early. Someone is going to moan regardless, but at least they ask for public opinion before just changing it up.
Yea, but the original idea was to move season further back. Multiple splits would be nice more birds would be less pressured when you went to shoot them.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
The changing of the seasons, have for what ever reason, are changing the migration pattern and timing of migratory birds. Maybe the whole migration pattern should be looked at in the hemisphere to see if the pattern is repeating itself over the entire flyway or just in certain flyways to determine if changes should be made. I feel the eastern flyway is running a few weeks later than in the past.

Duckbuster82

It’s not weather or time that’s changed it’s food. All the lakes are void of food. And there is so much pressure they can’t rest they stay north where there is food and less pressure.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
If they stay north then how they know there is no food and and all this pressure waiting for them down south. Something is delaying the migration even if there is all this food up north the ducks won’t be able to get to it if everything is frozen over. If the climate has change enough to delay the migration by two or three weeks then the seasons need to be adjusted to reflect that change.

Duckbuster82

If they stay north then how they know there is no food and and all this pressure waiting for them down south. Something is delaying the migration even if there is all this food up north the ducks won’t be able to get to it if everything is frozen over. If the climate has change enough to delay the migration by two or three weeks then the seasons need to be adjusted to reflect that change.
Ducks pattern, they came down last few years and there was no food, or they couldn’t sit where they use to now they don’t come anymore or they bypass. They kill plenty of birds in Florida. So how do they get there? If they birds only moved due to weather they would never come much below then freeze line.

Hammockben1

The feds set our maximum season length at 60 days, they already give us those full 60. That will not change if they move it to the 31st or keep it as is. All I’m saying is there are people out there that only have the opportunity to hunt weekends, who will lose hunting days if they’d change it to the 31st.
Regardless if they move it to the 31st or not there are a bunch of ppl that miss out on hunt time like me for example the only duck hunting I get to do is the last 2 to 3 weeks cause my job so ppl that has a job similar would have same effect so regardless when it ends or not ppl are going to miss out on duck hunting now my honest opinion is this end it on the 31st but have more then one off season in between like instead of having 2 splits have 3 splits maybe 4 so that way the birds will not be pressured so much cause ga is one of the most hunted states for deer or duck then anywhere else