I want to add a trumpet

Kwaksmoka

I want to expand my calling this year and add a trumpet. I haven’t ever used one and don’t expect to be good with it any time in the near future but I want to start. Any trumpet suggestions? Are they all the same difficulty any easier etc open to any and all help! 57 and counting

six

I'd consider one from Anthony Ellis (AGE Trumpets) or I'd get a river cane yelper from Mark Sharpe. The Sharpe cane call has been a proven killer for me for several years now. last year was the first year I hunted with the AGE trumpet and it proved to be a killer as well. And it will continue to see regular field action.

buckpasser

I use Rex Calls trumpets. They’re nice to look at and I have brought toms to their death with them. I’ll pm you.

Kwaksmoka

I'd consider one from Anthony Ellis (AGE Trumpets) or I'd get a river cane yelper from Mark Sharpe. The Sharpe cane call has been a proven killer for me for several years now. last year was the first year I hunted with the AGE trumpet and it proved to be a killer as well. And it will continue to see regular field action.

I’ve never met mark but know some of his family. I hunt with one of his nephews. I live about an hour from him I think. Thanks for the suggestions guys

Sixes

A lot of it depends on what you want to spend. Billy Buice makes some of the best, but they are higher in price. I own 3 AGE trumpets and the are top notch and a bit less in price, same with Misfire's trumpets. If you want to try one that plays great and is very reasonably priced, contact Gergg on here, he is making some very nice trumpets.

Lots of builders making quality trumpets, I just mentioned some of the GA builders and price can be whatever high range you want to spend

buckpasser

A lot of it depends on what you want to spend. Billy Buice makes some of the best, but they are higher in price. I own 3 AGE trumpets and the are top notch and a bit less in price, same with Misfire's trumpets. If you want to try one that plays great and is very reasonably priced, contact Gergg on here, he is making some very nice trumpets.

Lots of builders making quality trumpets, I just mentioned some of the GA builders and price can be whatever high range you want to spend

I’m out of the loop a little. What would you consider high priced and more reasonable? I know those guys have a lot of work in building them, but it’s been a while since my last purchase. Thanks!

Sixes

I’m out of the loop a little. What would you consider high priced and more reasonable? I know those guys have a lot of work in building them, but it’s been a while since my last purchase. Thanks!

I'm hesitant to quote prices, because they are always changing and are based on the wood species chosen.

Ballpark price $100 to $250 plus. Lots of call builders out there and you shouldn't lose any money if you decide a trumpet is not what you want to use.

You can PM any of these guys and I'm sure they will quote you a price
GADAWGS (Misfire Game calls)
Gregg
antnye (AGE Trumpets)

As far as contact with Billy Buice, you'll have to call him.

Gut_Pile

Several good ones out there.

Buice gets my vote 10 times out of 10. Great guy, and a legend in the trumpet world.

jr123

Everybody out there is trying to make trumpets these days, unfortunately not all do a good job of it. I would go with Ralph Permar, Irving Whitt, or Marlin Watkins, and obviously Billy Buice . Just my opinion.

ssramage

Not as big of a collection as most, but here's my meager collection of calls. All have their place, and all sound good. Of all of my calls, the two Buice calls are my favorite. I have a few others, nothing special, and some homemade wingbones. I need to add some more...

L to R
Billy Buice Osage
Billy Buice Olive Wood w/ push in wingbone mouthpiece
Craig Scott (muddpuppi - not sure if he's still making calls)
Brian Mero snakewood (just picked it up, but appears to be a nice call)
Craig Scott
Mike Battey WildTalker (nice call, easy to run, and synthetic materials for the rainy days)
Gerry Bramblett wingbone

Attachments

• IMG_2347.jpg
    IMG_2347.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 16

KentuckyHeadhunter

Everybody out there is trying to make trumpets these days, unfortunately not all do a good job of it. I would go with Ralph Permar, Irving Whitt, or Marlin Watkins, and obviously Billy Buice . Just my opinion.

This is true. A lot of guys are making trumpets and not mastering the internals. They are just making decent calls that LOOK nice. The mouthpiece is a more critical factor than the wood type also. Everyone's lips and calling style is different so not everyone will agree on the "best" maker.

M Sharpe

Don't overlook Billy McCallister, Matt McLain or Mark Prudhomme, and one I just picked up, Kevin Dorsey!!