I want to make my own sausage.

JHannah92

Bought my wife a Kitchenaid mixer for Christmas because she wanted one. She don't cook often, so I'm looking at ways I can utilize it so it doesn't just collect dust. I'm going to buy a grinder attachment for it and try my hand at making sausage. I've done some reading online and there's a ton of YouTube videos I can watch to get me started. I don't have a stuffer, but I do have a jerky gun that has a round nozzle. How far can that take me? I'd like to give it a shot with what I have before I decide to drop the cash on a good stuffer. Anything else y'all would recommend? Any good recipes for breakfast sausage (loose or links)? Thanks in advance.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Most grinders have sausage stuffing attachments.

For breakfast sausage, you only need one recipe for the rest of your life. Legg’s Old Plantation #10 seasoning. There is nothing better, and never will be.

naildrvr

I'll cast a vote for Legg's Old Plantation as well. I also like Doug Jeffords sparkle sweet, which is what I used for the sausage I recently made. I like to mix and grind and fry a piece to get an idea of what I've got. Lots of times, I'll add a little extra sage and red pepper but be careful, they are both strong and it's easy to get too much. Like NCH said, most grinders will come with stuffing tubes.

georgiadawgs44

I have a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer and received the grinder a few years ago as a gift. It comes with a I think 3 blades and a stuffer attachment. Me 3 on the Legg's!

JHannah92

Thanks y'all. I read a couple articles online that made it seem you shouldn't use the grinder to stuff your sausage. Glad to see that's not the case.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks y'all. I read a couple articles online that made it seem you shouldn't use the grinder to stuff your sausage. Glad to see that's not the case.
I've stuffed quite a few with my grinder. Probably not as fast as a dedicated sausage stuffer, but it works good for me. Some folks live in wealthy ideal world, I live in reality. Some folks say you need a $500 commercial grinder to grind up a couple deer a year. You don't.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I've stuffed quite a few with my grinder. Probably not as fast as a dedicated sausage stuffer, but it works good for me. Some folks live in wealthy ideal world, I live in reality. Some folks say you need a $500 commercial grinder to grind up a couple deer a year. You don't.
Amen to that .. My grinder cost about 120$ and is on its 5th year.. We use it year around also.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Amen to that .. My grinder cost about 120$ and is on its 5th year.. We use it year around also.
I got mine for $79 on sale at Northern Tool about ten years ago, It has ground hundreds of pounds of meat, as a conservative estimate. It will grind up everything I grind on a deer-the shoulders, neck, brisket, rib meat, flank, shanks, and trimmings from the hindquarters- in about 10 minutes.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I got mine for $79 on sale at Northern Tool about ten years ago, It has ground hundreds of pounds of meat, as a conservative estimate. It will grind up everything I grind on a deer-the shoulders, neck, brisket, rib meat, flank, shanks, and trimmings from the hindquarters- in about 10 minutes.
Awesome!

Chrisco6

You wanna be a good sausage maker just start with a boston butt and leggs old plantation, maybe a small bit of sage if ya like. Big thing is just start, no stuffer no problem. Breakfast patties,Sgetty whatever just practice and make as much as you can and move to venison,beef or even Boerewors you get better and more equipment you will find you can make right at home as good as you canfind anywhere.

little rascal

If you got a jerky gun, go for it! If I make small batches have used a little jerky tube plenty of times. I have 2 big grinders and a small jerky shooter. I've made plenty sausage from fresh country breakfast to Andouille, Chaurice, Boudin, summer sausage to home made hot dogs. The best ever was crawfish sausage made with a little jerky gun. For country breakfast sausage yes Leggs is the best.
Go to this link for some ideas. It has methods and recipes.
http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/

JHannah92

If you got a jerky gun, go for it! If I make small batches have used a little jerky tube plenty of times. I have 2 big grinders and a small jerky shooter. I've made plenty sausage from fresh country breakfast to Andouille, Chaurice, Boudin, summer sausage to home made hot dogs. The best ever was crawfish sausage made with a little jerky gun. For country breakfast sausage yes Leggs is the best.
Go to this link for some ideas. It has methods and recipes.
http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/
Thanks for that link. Pile of info in there.

Artfuldodger

I've never done it but I think you grind it first then take grinding wheel out and use the stuffer attachment. The do make just a sausage stuffer if it doesn't come with the grinder you happen to buy.

There is a video on this Amazon link that shows the stuffer kit. It looks like the sausage has already been ground and the grinder blade is removed when using this kit.

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-SSA-Sausage-Stuffer-Attachment/dp/B00004SGFQ

Here is an after market one made to work on the Kitchenaid Mixer. It looks like you can use it with or without the grinder blade in place. They are stainless instead of plastic, if that makes any difference.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GSSVDC...&pd_rd_r=14b3702e-109b-11e9-bc6e-5d8d39c8cbc7

Some complaints on the plastic Kitchenaid tubes not being long enough to get much casing on them.

Artfuldodger

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I take the blade out before stuffing sausages, definitely.

Hornet22

ROMEO
Most grinders have sausage stuffing attachments.

For breakfast sausage, you only need one recipe for the rest of your life. Legg’s Old Plantation #10 seasoning. There is nothing better, and never will be.
Bubba, whats the difference in Legg's #10 and Legg's #25? i ain never used #10 before.:cheers: