I'd like to understand...without getting ridiculed.

Buckman18

There’s an old saying I’ve heard that applies to this thread, “If you never answer the call it WILL stop coming.”

If no one responded to this mindless, pointless, and stupid thread the OP would disappear like a **** in the wind. He or she wanted attention today, apparently, and got plenty of it.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I don't do it so you shouldn't be able to. How many times have we seen that? Especially lately, and not just hunting either. This mentality applies to just about everything. I was raised to mind my business and have been told by others that I should take a stronger position on certain issues. I stated in my original post that I have no interest in bear hunting. I have no interest and live in an area where I could be in pretty good bear country in just a little while. I know where they live at! I don't care if someone else bear hunts. Have at it! I also stated my bewilderment in why anyone would want to shoot an elephant or a giraffe. It is pretty hard to miss either one. Have you ever heard of anyone missing an elephant. I realize that these statements are really no different than the original post, just a different animal. The real difference is in my attitude towards it. If it makes you happy, it tickles me plum to death.

ThomasCobb123

If you ever see what they ( bears) can do to a cornfield you wouldn't have that picture of yogi and boo boo in your head. There are no natural predators for bear except humans. They have to be managed.
No, I have never seen what bears can do to a cornfield or any other agricultural endeavor. I have zero first hand knowledge of that. I do have first hand knowledge of one trying to rip into our tent while we were camping up near Amicalola Falls...VERY scary indeed.
From what I've read here about the destruction they cause and the economic disasters they contribute to, might it just be better for the state, as a whole, to eliminate them all together?
Set a no limit on bears and allow hunters to kill them at will until the entire population is just wiped out of the picture totally. Their existence certainly cannot outweigh the value of crops and habitation by humans. And the bullets and guns purchased to hunt them probably are far less in economic value than the things they end up destroying.
They sound like nothing but trouble to me, from what I see here, and far from the romanticized visualization of "ole mr.& ms. bear happily lumbering through the forest eating berries, honey, and stuff". (to which I have been led to believe).
What sayest you about this concept?

ThomasCobb123

I don't do it so you shouldn't be able to. How many times have we seen that? Especially lately, and not just hunting either. This mentality applies to just about everything. I was raised to mind my business and have been told by others that I should take a stronger position on certain issues. I stated in my original post that I have no interest in bear hunting. I have no interest and live in an area where I could be in pretty good bear country in just a little while. I know where they live at! I don't care if someone else bear hunts. Have at it! I also stated my bewilderment in why anyone would want to shoot an elephant or a giraffe. It is pretty hard to miss either one. Have you ever heard of anyone missing an elephant. I realize that these statements are really no different than the original post, just a different animal. The real difference is in my attitude towards it. If it makes you happy, it tickles me plum to death.
I don't drive while I'm drunk....and you shouldn't be allowed to do it either. (even if it makes you happy to do so)
I don't steal from the Salvation Army collection bucket...and you shouldn't be allowed to do it either.
These absurd examples of mine could go on and on...which exposes the fallacy of "if it makes you happy, it tickles me plum to death".
A civilized society cannot exist without someone being, shall we say, "offended" and not being allowed to do whatever they choose to do.
Regards, "Clueless" Cobb
:unsure:

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
Both of your examples violate laws that are in place. They also adversely affect others. It is alright to have an opinion. It is not alright to force others to live by your rules.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
No, I have never seen what bears can do to a cornfield or any other agricultural endeavor. I have zero first hand knowledge of that. I do have first hand knowledge of one trying to rip into our tent while we were camping up near Amicalola Falls...VERY scary indeed.
From what I've read here about the destruction they cause and the economic disasters they contribute to, might it just be better for the state, as a whole, to eliminate them all together?
Set a no limit on bears and allow hunters to kill them at will until the entire population is just wiped out of the picture totally. Their existence certainly cannot outweigh the value of crops and habitation by humans. And the bullets and guns purchased to hunt them probably are far less in economic value than the things they end up destroying.
They sound like nothing but trouble to me, from what I see here, and far from the romanticized visualization of "ole mr.& ms. bear happily lumbering through the forest eating berries, honey, and stuff". (to which I have been led to believe).
What sayest you about this concept?
No creature on this earth deserves extinction. That's child's talk.

ripplerider

ThomasCobb I'm sorry you have been called names in this thread. There's too much of that going on in this forum especially in the Political section. You may in fact be trolling us but at least you're doing so in a courteous, respectful manner. If you truly didnt know that bear meat was good to eat then I can understand your feelings about hunting them. I dont agree with killing animals just for a trophy whether it be horns or it's skin or whatever. An exception would be coyotes and other nuisances.

Bears may seem like bumbling clowns when you see them in the spring or summer down around civilization but in reality they are quite intelligent, very wary, and pretty challenging to outwit once the season starts. Most of them quickly realize that they are being hunted and become moe nocturnal and/or head for the deeper more rugged areas to avoid hunters. Of course there are exceptions to every rule but they dont get big and old by being dumb. Bears probably have the sharpest sense of smell of any game animal have excellent hearing and their vision is better than a lot of people give credit for.

I'm sorry you got insulted when your thread title asked for opinions without ridicule. I personally enjoy hearing other viewpoints that differ from mine. Lately it seems like everyone gangs up on one person if they dare to express something that differs from the forum norms. I'm not referring to this sub-forum specifically; this is my favorite spot on GON. The Political sub-forum is a different story though. There's a lot of name-calling that I thought was against the rules on here.

To sum up: bears are very good to eat, they're challenging to hunt, and they can cause a lot of property damage. I'll continue hunting them till I get too old to climb these mountains. With a clear conscience.

Rabun

If no one responded to this mindless, pointless, and stupid thread the OP would disappear like a **** in the wind. He or she wanted attention today, apparently, and got plenty of it.

^^^^^this! "the medium is the message"....giving "air time" to a message no matter how off base it may be, actually provides credence to that message.

Bowhunter77

Mr Cobb from Huntsville is a little too young to be a Korean War vet since you are 54 years young. You sir are a liar and of very little character. Lying about service is called “stolen valor” not a crime but shows your character.

Possum

Banned
Mr Cobb from Huntsville is a little too young to be a Korean War vet since you are 54 years young. You sir are a liar and of very little character. Lying about service is called “stolen valor” not a crime but shows your character.

Maybe he only lied about his age? Or maybe he is lying about everything because he likes trolling the internet

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB

Dang.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Maybe he only lied about his age? Or maybe he is lying about everything because he likes trolling the internet

Korean Conflict vets wouldn't lie about their age. Must be the other.

"I don't do it so you shouldn't be allowed to"

"It's ok to kill the animals you eat, but mine matter".

Couple of home runs right there!

Bowhunter77

The war fighting ceased In 53, no peace treaty was signed. The youngest man to serve was 14 in that war, he lied to the examining Dr. who signed off on his fitness for duty, that man would be 79 today. Korean vets like the WW2 vets before them are dying at an astounding rate , I’ve talked to many. Ones that were at the Chosin say the cold never left thier bones for the rest of thier lives. Read thier stories, talk to them while you have a few left.

Possum

Banned
re-read his post, he said he was in Korea, which means he had a business trip to Seoul once.

ThomasCobb123

Both of your examples violate laws that are in place. They also adversely affect others. It is alright to have an opinion. It is not alright to force others to live by your rules.
ALL laws force others to live by someone else's rules. The "someone else" is a legislative body, but it is still someone else's rules.
I, for instance, think it would be perfectly okay to blast some man engaged in adultery with my wife....however someone else's rules says if I do that, it is murder.
Her punishment, in that instance, would be living without his company.
I made my examples in my other post as absurdities...to point out that your theme of "if it makes you happy, it plum tickles me to death" won't follow a logical extension of thought.
Thank you.
"Clueless" Cobb

Last edited:

ThomasCobb123

ThomasCobb I'm sorry you have been called names in this thread. There's too much of that going on in this forum especially in the Political section. You may in fact be trolling us but at least you're doing so in a courteous, respectful manner. If you truly didnt know that bear meat was good to eat then I can understand your feelings about hunting them. I dont agree with killing animals just for a trophy whether it be horns or it's skin or whatever. An exception would be coyotes and other nuisances.

Bears may seem like bumbling clowns when you see them in the spring or summer down around civilization but in reality they are quite intelligent, very wary, and pretty challenging to outwit once the season starts. Most of them quickly realize that they are being hunted and become moe nocturnal and/or head for the deeper more rugged areas to avoid hunters. Of course there are exceptions to every rule but they dont get big and old by being dumb. Bears probably have the sharpest sense of smell of any game animal have excellent hearing and their vision is better than a lot of people give credit for.
I'm sorry you got insulted when your thread title asked for opinions without ridicule. I personally enjoy hearing other viewpoints that differ from mine. Lately it seems like everyone gangs up on one person if they dare to express something that differs from the forum norms. I'm not referring to this sub-forum specifically; this is my favorite spot on GON. The Political sub-forum is a different story though. There's a lot of name-calling that I thought was against the rules on here.
To sum up: bears are very good to eat, they're challenging to hunt, and they can cause a lot of property damage. I'll continue hunting them till I get too old to climb these mountains. With a clear conscience.
You seem to be a wise and thoughtful man.
The name calling stuff doesn't hurt me one bit...it's just that the forum rules are against it, and if others can get away with it, I'd like to be able to do it also. I know some very good name calling language myself, you know. But I have been warned by the authorities here to stay civil and stick to IDEAS, and I intend to do EXACTLY what I was ordered to do.
That's one good thing about being ex-military...you learn to salute, say yessir, shutup, and obey the last given order.
I'm beginning to see the light about how destructive these bears are to society and crops and all that. They're not like I had them pictured to be at all. (Guess you can always learn something new, right?)
Thus, my posting about just getting rid of the darn things completely.
I don't think that will happen, but it seems like a good idea to me.
Regards,
"Clueless" Cobb

Last edited:

ThomasCobb123

The war fighting ceased In 53, no peace treaty was signed. The youngest man to serve was 14 in that war, he lied to the examining Dr. who signed off on his fitness for duty, that man would be 79 today. Korean vets like the WW2 vets before them are dying at an astounding rate , I’ve talked to many. Ones that were at the Chosin say the cold never left thier bones for the rest of thier lives. Read thier stories, talk to them while you have a few left.
It was colder than you can imagine. But when you're a dumb kid, you can take stuff a lot better than when you get old.
Thank you for your comments about Vets.
Regards,
"Clueless" Cobb

ThomasCobb123