Idea For Personalized Turkey Gun

Buckman18

I’m sure there are more awesome ideas out there, but here is one I thought of, and I’m certain it’s not original....

I’ve been wanting something different... something original, and something that no one else in my close nit group of hardcore hillbillies has....

Academy has a Stevens M301 single shot. 3” chamber, black synthetic stock, weighs a perfect 5.5 pounds, and has removable chokes. It’s a break action, similar to an old NEF or H&R, and it’s only $150.... Has win style choke threads..,

Thought it’d be cool to get one, get a kit and dip it in old school woodland or original mossy oak camo, put a Kicks gobblin thunder choke, drill holes for a sling, and put some good sights on it and ‘build’ it just for me to take in the mountains...

All this rain has my creeks too high to fish this evening, and I’m just sitting here thinking... Anyone else have a personalized turkey gun?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yep, Remington SPR100, customized by the Gun Docc, Curtis Wilbanks. With various chokes, it`s my all purpose shotgun. I prefer single shots. I made the elkskin sheath with antler buttons for it.
turkeygun1.JPGturkeygun1.JPGturkeygun2.jpgturkeygun4.jpgturkeygun3.jpg

Buckman18

That’s awesome. In fact, it was the pics you posted with a turkey a couple months back that got my wheels spinning. I was going to get an old Winchester model 37 and have it threaded until I saw the Stevens while surfing the web. I like it because it’s light and comes threaded.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`d get it. And one more thing you`ll want to do is add a Limbsaver recoil pad to it. I have one on mine and also have added old leather lace on recoil pad on top of that. These lightweight 12`s will cross your eyes. They are sure nice on a long walk though.

I`d like to see your shooter when you get done with it.

Buckman18

Well, I got my gun. Santa also brought me a Kicks GT .660 to go with it. Got a fun project ahead. Cheap entertainment, let the good times begin.

Gaswamp

good luck with ur project

Mark K

Banned
Ended up converting a Remington Youth 20ga into my dedicated turkey gun. Added a FFIII and a Sumtoy choke. Shooting 3” #9 TSS and it’s a beast. Best part is it’s lightweight and compact. Go anywhere and patterns extremely well out to 50 for those misjudged distances.

hawglips

Banned
I bought an old Stevens 220A single shot 20 ga, 2-3/4" chamber this summer and killed the first bird with it on Saturday....

930295cf8e8ad2fe7deb280dfab4b1d5.jpg

I left it with the fixed full choke barrel, since it shoots just fine with my TSS loads. I drilled it for a sling, and since the forearm pops off by design, I wrapped some gun camo tape around it to keep it tight while lugging it around in the woods.

Gaswamp

I bought an old Stevens 220A single shot 20 ga, 2-3/4" chamber this summer and killed the first bird with it on Saturday....

930295cf8e8ad2fe7deb280dfab4b1d5.jpg

I left it with the fixed full choke barrel, since it shoots just fine with my TSS loads. I drilled it for a sling, and since the forearm pops off by design, I wrapped some gun camo tape around it to keep it tight while lugging it around in the woods.

congrats on the bird...220 is a Savage....and 94 is stevens eventhough same company

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Hal, great little gun. Did you mean Savage 220A? Mine is 5 lbs. What load and how much Kentucky Windage/elevation did you use? Gil

hawglips

Banned
Hal, great little gun. Did you mean Savage 220A? Mine is 5 lbs. What load and how much Kentucky Windage/elevation did you use? Gil

Yeah, Gaswamp got me straight!

It shoots very straight when I aim straight, though I have a tendency to be a hair low and right with it.

It was a new load - 2-3/4", 1-5/8 oz of 9s, 1058 fps - "Big 20 XLG". Here's the way the pattern looks at 40 yds.
5B15D3FC-279F-45FF-BAEC-E98A2511DB9E_zpsfns17bpo.jpeg

TSS9LBC2.75%201.625Stevens_zpse4c6ntv9.jpg

I also did a 1-3/4 oz load (Big Stubby XXLG, 1105 fps), as well as a 1-7/8 oz (Big Stubby XXXLG, 1145 fps). The XXXLG kicks a lot more, but it shoots better out of that gun:

4EF4471E-9585-4AB5-ACA8-A854D2F5DC35_zpse3k9utrb.jpeg

I put a Limbsaver slip-on recoil on it, and it dampens the recoil significantly, so I'll probably shoot that one out of it in the future.

fredw

Retired Moderator
I went with an 870 20 gauge IMG_0655 resize.jpgyouth model that was collecting dust. I had a spacer added to extend LOP by an inch, drilled and tapped for a weaver base, FF III added, Sumtoy 562, dipped in a mossy oak pattern. Great patterns with Federal HW 7 and with commercial TSS loads. Light, easy to carry and deadly.

deast1988

870 youth 20ga
Shur shot stock
Drilled an tapped
Forcing Cone lengthened
Action smoothed
Bore polished
Trigger Job
Cerakote
Added the scope
Sumtoy .562

My 20ga project took me a few seasons to set up up how I like but it cooks tss #9 an hunts like a dream.

Attachments

• 1104BF9E-D608-43F3-8786-60F99C8376AF.jpeg
    1104BF9E-D608-43F3-8786-60F99C8376AF.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 9

ssramage

Here's my go to turkey weapon (when I get to hunt). This gun was the last Christmas present I ever received from my mom before she passed away when I was 13. It's likely one of the least valuable guns I own, but it has the most value to me.

NEF Pardner 20 gauge, Gundocc Special
Burris FFII
I've had it dipped in MO Original Bottomland since this pic.

It shoots a mean pattern with Federal HW #7s. I'm hoping to watch my 5 year old son bust one with it in the next couple of years.
057.jpg

Buckman18

My father is a machinist. He drilled and tapped the barrel for a scope, and he made the base for me (custom made by Buckman Deddy Customs :) ) I’ve gotta get a higher set of rings, then I’ll mount a Simmons 4x32 shotgun scope. Also installed the hammer extension and sling.

And the Kicks GT .660 installed

Next will be paint job and scope mount. More and better pics coming soon!

Buckman18

Got the scope mounted today, and now it’s ready to paint.

It was very windy and a terrible day to pattern. I’ll have to shoot again. Nevertheless, I tried Longbeard #6’s and got 230 in 10 at 40. I got 179 #5’s. Which one would you shoot?

Last edited:

Gator89

Got the scope mounted today, and now it’s ready to paint.

It was very windy and a terrible day to pattern. I’ll have to shoot again. Nevertheless, I tried Longbeard #6’s and got 230 in 10 at 40. I got 179 #5’s. Which one would you shoot?

I would shoot the 6's.