Ideas on how to hog proof a feeder

sghoghunter

Me and my brother have a couple feeders on our club just for hogs and we have not had any problems till 3 weeks ago. One stopped working and a good boar hog took it upon himself to break off the controller box and let all the corn run out. Well we fixed it a week later and killed one boar off it and a few days later it happened to the same feeder. Well when I got up this morning I realized that the other feeder had been tore up last night as well. We have Tpost drove down by each legs and tied off to prevent them turning over and thought it was already big enough that they wouldn't mess with the box

Attachments

• IMG_6140.PNG
    IMG_6140.PNG
    167.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6141.PNG
    IMG_6141.PNG
    169 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_6142.PNG
    IMG_6142.PNG
    515.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_6143.PNG
    IMG_6143.PNG
    220.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6144.PNG
    IMG_6144.PNG
    220.5 KB · Views: 93

RootConservative

We use 34" hog panels from Tractor supply around the feeders they are 16 feet long. I'm near Abbeville, Ga (some refer to it as ground zero for hogs). But after 2-3 weeks the deer don't pay any attention to the hog panels and barely step over. Even fawns can jump it, but keeps the hogs out.

sghoghunter

Yeah I'm gonna do that closer to next season and guess I worded my thread wrong. The feeders are for the hogs so we can use them and the cell cameras to knock out as many hogs as we can during the summer. I'm trying to fix it where they can't tear the controller off the bottom of the barrel

RootConservative

The best method I use is spoiled corn and post hole digger. I dig a hole 12" circumference 4 feet deep and pour the sour corn in it. You will have craters when they are done. But they will stay near the hole until they get everything out. I'm talking entire sounders staying close by and even during daylight.

sghoghunter

We already do that but it's 2 to 3 weeks in between when we're at the club and corn in a hole will only last a week if you lucky

Attachments

• IMG_6145.PNG
    IMG_6145.PNG
    558.7 KB · Views: 74

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
A 4 ft h x 16 ft cow panel staked in around the feeder will help.Cut or bend just outside the feet.

Davexx1

Easy fix to stop the hog damage is to hang your feeder 8'-10' off the ground. Use a 600/900lb boat winch, 1/4" steel cable, and a couple of pulleys. Hanging it will make raising and lowering the feeder for filling easy and the hogs can't get to it. There are several different ways of doing this

You can hang the feeder and winch setup between two trees, hang it from a sturdy overhead limb, build a heavy duty tripod, or buy one of the aftermarket hanger brackets. Hanging the feeder will also reduce theft and damage from coons and reduce your feed bill.

Dave

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
If feeders kill hogs then why aren’t the hogs all dead?

Feeders insure most hogs will thrive.
Obviously.

Show me where anyone has eliminated the hog population with a feeder.

pottydoc

We use 34" hog panels from Tractor supply around the feeders they are 16 feet long. I'm near Abbeville, Ga (some refer to it as ground zero for hogs). But after 2-3 weeks the deer don't pay any attention to the hog panels and barely step over. Even fawns can jump it, but keeps the hogs out.

This is what we do. It works great. We use the drive in posts, and set them about 20’ or so in a circle around the feeder. We fasten the end of one of the panels with a chain top and bottom and the locks like on a dog leash. That allows me nrty to,refill, check feeder, etc.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Your going to have hogs no matter what now. You could stop putting corn out and shoot all u see trap and what ever. When sows have 2 & 3 litters a year at 6 to 10 pigs. With no real natural enemy’s. Coy dogs don’t want to mess with a 100 pound sow to get a pig.
With out the corn in the winter the hogs would vacuum up every acorn that hits the ground. They do a good job now. They eat anything when hungry. They are always hungry.
Good luck killing as many as u can.

Give a man a hog he will eat for a day.
Show a man how to trap. He will have all he wants to eat.

sghoghunter

If feeders don't kill explain this trail cam pic. Look at times and tell me why he just fell over dead

Attachments

• IMG_6177.PNG
    IMG_6177.PNG
    169.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6178.PNG
    IMG_6178.PNG
    169 KB · Views: 36