Identify this track

Teufelshund

I was not the only only one tracking deer this weekend. My guess is cougar, what do y'all think?

Attachments

• Track 1.jpg
    Track 1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,294
  • Track 2.jpg
    Track 2.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,316
  • Track 3.jpg
    Track 3.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,303
  • Track 4.jpg
    Track 4.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,240

cowhornedspike

Dog. Has claw marks in several of the pics. Soft sand makes for poor track ID.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I was not the only only one tracking deer this weekend. My guess is cougar, what do y'all think?

I think, based on the size of the cartridge, length of stride and the fact that tracks expand in sand and mud I think you've got a pretty good Bobcat lurking around.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Canine tracks.

Cats don't leave claw imprints when walking. They will when running or crossing slippery surfaces, but not in sand. Also, the main pad will be substantially larger than the one in those pics.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Canine tracks.

Cats don't leave claw imprints when walking. They will when running or crossing slippery surfaces, but not in sand. Also, the main pad will be substantially larger than the one in those pics.

In soft soil, especially if they are on the stalk, claw marks can occasionally be seen with cats. This track is wide for a dog and has all of the characteristics of a big bobcat.;)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
100% positive big dog. Canine tracks have that "x-shaped" configuration with the pad/toes, and show claws. Cat track don't show claws, and don't have the "x" shaped pad/toe configuration. A coyote track would be more slender instead of round/square. That's absolutely a domestic dog.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Found some good points for comparison here:
http://www.natureskills.com/tracking/mountain-lion-tracks

If it's a dog that would be a pretty big dog, not too many seen in the area I found the tracks, maybe a wolf in South Central GA?

Lions, wolves... Heck, do you see bigfoot behind every tree? It's a big dog track 100% positive id. What do you mean "not too many seen in the area?" You don't think someone's coon hound could have trailed through? Dogs travel, a lot.

Teufelshund

Lions, wolves... Heck, do you see bigfoot behind every tree? It's a big dog track 100% positive id. What do you mean "not too many seen in the area?" You don't think someone's coon hound could have trailed through? Dogs travel, a lot.

Ft. Benning doesn't allow coon hounds to run around loose. These tracks where nowhere near a pond where a retriever could have gone AWOL either. They also keep their working dogs on a pretty short leash. I'd like to see a bigfoot one day, wouldn't you?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Ft. Benning doesn't allow coon hounds to run around loose.

Do they put up signs that tell the dogs they're not allowed to run loose? There's a blue million hogs at Fort Benning, perhaps somebody's hog dog was sniffing around. And just because there's not a pond in the area, that means a retriever couldn't possibly be there???

I was once miles, and I mean miles back in the Chattahoochee national forest wilderness area and I heard something trotting up the ridge in the leaves. I was expecting a rutting buck to step out, when to my surprise an English Setter trailed up to my tree. Now, according to your logic, he didn't belong way out there in the deer woods. Point is, dogs don't read signs. Dogs go pretty much where they please.

Teufelshund

Point well taken. I still doubt it was a domesticated canine but then again out in the woods anything can happen.

DSGB

That's a canine track - no doubt.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I can assure you that that track was not made by a cougar, lion, or wolf. I would bet my life that that track is absolutely, positively, without a doubt, 100% a dog track.