If only one

Thread starter #1

Turpentine

If you could only use one of the
Three tools to survive in the wild which would you choose?
Machete, Hatchet, or Tomahawk.

Thread starter #3

Turpentine

I was looking for an all metal axe, something that would last me a life time. My search lead me to the estwing web sight. I thought they only made hammers and such. They have a whole line of outdoor products. Some extremely beautiful tools. If you get a chance check it out. They also have a hunters axe that I'm not so found of and a double axe head Hatchet that's perdy cool. I really like that there tools are all metal.
Some special editions they have are drop dead gorgeous!

Thread starter #4

Turpentine

I my have post this in the wrong section, I was thinking survival... When I posted.

Nicodemus

FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR
Staff member
It`s fine to post it here.

I`d go with a wooden handle myself. In fact, all four of mine have wooden handles. As it is, you have several tools, as well as a weapon. You can chop with it, slide the head off and use the handle as a rabbit stick, use just the head to skin and cut up game and fish, and even whittle wood. If you break the handle you can still use the head to make and shape another handle. You can use the head as a type of Ulu as well, especially if you keep them shaving sharp as I do mine. Try doing any of those things with a machete or hatchet. Especially skinning and cleaning game.

Tomahawk is a handy tool.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Machete here. It would be close with the hawk, but I think the machete is a little more versatile. Those Indians in the Amazon do about everything with a machete that we do with a pocketknife, hunting knife, and axe.

Thread starter #13

Turpentine

Nicodemus

FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR
Staff member
How do the top 3 differ from a Hatchet? The heads are a little different but still seems to be extremely similar tools

They are. Handle on a hawk is generally longer and the head is held on by friction. A hatchet head is a little heavier too.

Contrary to hollywood, tomahawks were very seldom thrown in battle in this country. The franciska, a similar weapon, was thrown by the Franks during battles in Medieval Europe.

In the Museum of the Cherokee Indian, they have the "tomahawk" that the notorious Cherokee war chief/cannibal/sociopathic killer Doublehead used to kill quite a few people. It's a very small hatchet, with the head half gone from resharpening. It apparently worked well for him.

Big7

I was looking for an all metal axe, something that would last me a life time. My search lead me to the estwing web sight. I thought they only made hammers and such. They have a whole line of outdoor products. Some extremely beautiful tools. If you get a chance check it out. They also have a hunters axe that I'm not so found of and a double axe head Hatchet that's perdy cool. I really like that there tools are all metal.
Some special editions they have are drop dead gorgeous!
I've seen a lot of their stuff- while they make all- metal cutting tools just like everyone else, the main reason for that is the increasingly lower cost of thicker material capable CNC laser and waterjet machines.. Long story. If you want, start a new thread.

I'll have to look but wally-would carries a beautiful well made hatchet. The name is a little confusing (to me) it's either the estwig(sp) mentioned above or Ewing.

It is obviously well made. Good looking too...
Comes with a thick leather cover for the head and (looks like) hickory handle.

Might be worth a look if anyone wants a solid hatchet.

Last edited:
Thread starter #17

Turpentine

I've seena lot of their stuff- while they make all- metal cutting tools just like everyone else, the main reason for that is the increasingly lower cost of thicker material capable CNC laser and waterjet machines.. Long story. If you want, start a new thread.

I'll have to look but wally-would carries a beautiful well made hatchet. The name is a little confusing (to me) it's either the estwig(sp) mentioned above or Ewing.

It is obviously well made. Good looking too...
Comes with a thick leather cover for the head and (looks like) hickory handle.

Might be worth a look if anyone wants a solid hatchet.
I have been checking alot of options. I'm pretty much sold on estwing. That 26 inch campers axe is what I'm gonna get. I just really like there line up.

Big7

I have been checking alot of options. I'm pretty much sold on estwing. That 26 inch campers axe is what I'm gonna get. I just really like there line up.
That may very well the one I seen the names are so confusing.

I need to hit a few more threads, here and other places then, I'll look for a pic and link for the one I'm talking about. 😀

Thread starter #19

Turpentine

That may very well the one I seen the names are so confusing.

I need to hit a few more threads, here and other places then, I'll look for a pic and link for the one I'm talking about. 😀
I seen there line up a few days ago and figured I might get a one off... (Something I don't need at the moment but could use later down the Rd) I just can't bring myself to spend the money.
But man there special editions and leather grip ones are just wicked cool.
I will probably have the collection one day. I just don't have the cash flow right now. Plus it's hunting season. Mounts cost a fortune.

ESTWING you know that hammer company ::ke:

Big7

^^^^ This sounds right. Ewing makes hamers too..

I think what you said is the one I'm talking about.