If you were to be able to make your own mix...?

Just 1 More

I have a place I found that seems to have some pretty good prices on seed. They are willing to do a 50# mix. I'm thinking of mixing:
Small Delar Burnett @ $2.00 lb
Birdsfoot Trefoil @ $3.00 lb
Ladino Clover, Regal $3.25 lb
Alsike Clover $1.20 lb
Medium Red Clover $1.80 lb
10 lbs of each totals = $112.50/ 50 lbs
Plus shipping is about $35.00
So total would be around $147.50 for 50 lb mix
This mix should be very similar to the Imperial Whitetail Extreme. This would only do 1 acre but it should last 3-5 years. All the seeds are appoximatly the same size, and all can be planted first of April.
Drought tolerant, sustain heavy grazing, Low PH levels.

OR?? What mix would you suggest? They have a ton of seed options
(edited for price updates)

Last edited:

Just 1 More

TH, They didn't have the Durrana, Patriot or the Yucchi arrowleaf.
From what i'm learning, In this mix the Alsike is supposed to establish itself faster than the rest,, kind of giving a bit of a cover clover letting the other 2 to get established,, (does that make sense)

SWAMPFOX

I believe I would plant this mix in the fall and not the spring. A lack of rain and I don't know that it would get a decent root system. Thunter might know better about the best planting date.

gadeerwoman

I'd also keep the peas separate and plant them first. They will need to be planted about 1/2 inch deep and you don't want the clovers that deep. Plant and cover the peas, then overseed with the clovers and just cultipack it. If you get the clovers too deep they aren't going to come up good. My only hesitation in the mix is the timing. Peas need to be planted in warmer weather, clovers in cooler weather as young clovers can't handle heat well. I've had pretty good luck with late winter seeding of clovers but I also go back and overseed again in the fall with a little more. With late winter/spring clover seeding you're battling a lot of weeds and grasses before the clovers get rooted good so spraying is going to be imperative to keep down competition.

Just 1 More

Since I already have 130lbs of Bio Logic Green Patch Plus waiting to be planted this fall, I think I will get me a bag of Small Delar Burnett, Birdsfoot Trefoil, Ladino clover mix and mix it in with the Bio logic.

I'm thinking of not mixing anymore....

Let me start by saying that I'm only two years into the food plot game, but something I think I've learned is that I'm going to move away from all of these seed mixes. My reason is this:

If you are planting small plots, say two acres or less, which most of us are, what are the chances that all of these varieties in the mix are ready to eat at the same time? From what I've seen, this is hardly ever the case. So, on a small plot you only have a minimal amount of groceries ready to eat at any given time. The only way I see to change this when using a seed mix is to increase the acreage. A smaller food plot with minimal groceries does not equal a primary food source, IMO.

So, for next year I'm planting my plots with two types of seed. The first will be a long term grazing type of forage covering the entire plot. The second will be a short term crop, 50-75% coverage, to act as a cover to allow the first seed time to get established.

I did this last year on a few of my plots and saw more deer, over a longer time period, than on any of my "seed mix" plots.

Mac

Source of the seed????????????

Would like to get some Burnett. That price is much cheaper than anything I could find on a net search.

Mac

Is it a secret????????//

Where??

Mac

Must be a secret

No response to thread or PM

Just 1 More

MAC, It's not a secret, I found them on the internet. I just don't want to publicise the name and have a mad rush on seeds before I can get my hands on them. Everyone talks about seed shortages and I don't want to be caught up in that. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. I hope you understand