I'm going to church

660griz

The love of YOUR child is one of those things that you believe in and have no evidence of until you have your newborn in your arms.

I prefer to keep an open mind until they leave the house.
It could go either way. :)

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
What does this mean?

"All of this means that no single percentage is ever going to apply to everyone. Ahead, we've collected a few of those factors that can increase — and lower — your chances of divorce."

Interesting data:

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/12/15983/

"Some incorrectly believe that the 50 percent number comes from a simple comparison of the number of weddings and divorces in a given year, yet no serious scholar or demographer has ever measured divorce rates that way."

Why is this not a good way to measure the divorce rate? If there are 1 million married couples in a given year (including newly weds) and that same year 500,000 couples get divorced, doesn't that mean a 50% divorce rate for that year?

Cohort measure rate.
The 40-50% number comes from a detailed analysis of various population demographics, including ages, life span projections, etc. It represents a sophisticated projection of a calculated risk, much like projected life span for babies born today. . . . [It] is a valid projection under current conditions and it pertains to new, first time marriages.

I should have stated divorce risk instead of rate. Sorry.
We can ignore that last sentence about the divorce rate. Really not very relevant to my point anyway.

Drawing from all data up until the last 8 years (which there is no hard and fast data) divorce was referring to heterosexual marriage. There is a whole new dynamic to be added to the stats now that LGBT marriage is legal. :pop:

Gaducker

I prefer to keep an open mind until they leave the house.
It could go either way. :)

Well yea I guess so but both mine have been a pure pleasure to raise and when my first born went off to college it hurt me like that first love in highschool hurt..

I have been blessed to have good kids I guess.

gordon 2

What god? Where is this god? What evidence from your particular god stands out from all the other gods? What is unique?

a)The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

b) At both ends of ordered consciousness and inbetween; in the formation of consciousness and will, the sustaining of these and their shoring up . But mostly God is at the end ( outside) of ordered human consciousness. People meet with my God when they seek God or of God due the disorder of life, usually from within a life crisis or simply from seeking God.

c) My God is a savior of the poor due a charity that surveys beyond or outside of what I can understand by myself ( and every body else). Poverty is not only lack of wealth, it is also despair.

d)My God is the first and the last will known to me that is consistent from the first to the last. I know my God even in the lives of people who might not know of my God. My God is the creator of my consciousness and all that my consciousness can claim as an object from bias to beans.

Last edited:

660griz

Well yea I guess so but both mine have been a pure pleasure to raise and when my first born went off to college it hurt me like that first love in highschool hurt..

I have been blessed to have good kids I guess.

Plus, I assume you have evidence they are yours and not the spawn of Satan. You have that going for you...which is nice. :clap:

660griz

People meet with my God when they seek God or of God due the disorder of life, usually from within a life crisis or simply from seeking God.
Some of the main reasons religion exists right there.

My God is a savior of the poor due a charity that surveys beyond or outside of what I can understand by myself ( and every body else). Poverty is not only lack of wealth, it is also despair.
Yet, there is still millions of folks in poverty.

My God is the first and the last will known to me that is consistent from the first to the last. I know my God even in the lives of people who might not know of my God. My God is the creator of my consciousness and all that my consciousness can claim as an object from bias to beans.
Thanks to where you were born and who you were born to. Lucky you. You could have been stuck with one of those crazy gods.

j_seph

Is there anything else in your life that you believe in prior to having evidence?
That your parents are your parents. We do not remember coming out of the womb, the first time we were held, we really don't remember about the first 3 years of our lives. We have no proof that this man and woman are our actual parents unless we have a paternity test to scientifically prove that they are. How many of our members here have had that test done to verify that your parents are your birth parents? May be a lot of folks here that were adopted when they believed the whole time these were their birth parents.

ambush80

That your parents are your parents. We do not remember coming out of the womb, the first time we were held, we really don't remember about the first 3 years of our lives. We have no proof that this man and woman are our actual parents unless we have a paternity test to scientifically prove that they are. How many of our members here have had that test done to verify that your parents are your birth parents? May be a lot of folks here that were adopted when they believed the whole time these were their birth parents.

The evidence to prove your kinship to your parents is abundant. Furthermore, a man claiming "I'm your father" is easy to accept. It doesn't violate any understood parameters of reality as we know it. A claim like "God is my father" is a strange claim that is very difficult, maybe impossible to prove.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. What's your evidence j_seph?

ambush80

I'll give you a hint. The answer is "Nothing else in my life is like my faith. Ultimately, I don't rely on any of the worldly means of proving things real in order to believe. I just believe first and in doing so I confirm my belief".

Do I understand faith?

660griz

That your parents are your parents.

If they are raising me, they are my parents. Unless I need a liver, biological connection is of no importance.
Although I do get to see the birth certificate. Still not absolute truth but, close enough. (Pool boy?)

j_seph

Is there anything else in your life that you believe in prior to having evidence?
Again, yes you can have blood test, DNA to scientifcally prove they are your Bio Parents. Your question was Is there anything in your life that you believe in prior to having evidence. You have no evidence other than you believe that they are your bio parents.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. What's your evidence j_seph?

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=745946&highlight=testimony

Have you ever seen someone whom is unsaved get convicted at church that they are headed to &#%^ get saved? When you see the true conviction it should be enough proof for anyone.

Friend of mine was called to preach. He ran from it not wanting to do it. He ended up having a wreck, was thrown out of the car. His bible was laying on the ground beside him, the only glass left in the car was a window that had a cross sticker on it. Even EMT could not believe he survived much less without major injuries.

Another friend, had most of his intestines removed and was told he wouldn't survive past 21. He past away in 2007 at 88 years old.

Prayers my wife has prayed for about her job, she went today from $7 something an hour to almost triple that an hour. Same job, doing same thing, same location, same employer.

How about the holy spirit get on someone? Have you seen it happen? Have you experienced it yourself? This ole boy right here cannot talk in front of more than about 2 people much less a group he knows and especially a group of over 100 he does not know. I will refuse and not do it period. It has been put on my heart before, more than once that I needed to say something at church. once was in front of the church of over 100 I did not know. There is no feeling like it and afterwards I will end up with legs a shaking like shooting that big buck.

I can somewhat understand why folks do not believe when they have never been around it nor opened their hearts up to it and only use their carnal minds and try to figure things out to get proof of something. One thing is for sure, as long as folks keep trying to prove there is not a God they still give the slightest hope to other non believers that maybe just maybe there is a God because no one can prove there isn't.

j_seph

If they are raising me, they are my parents. Unless I need a liver, biological connection is of no importance.
Although I do get to see the birth certificate. Still not absolute truth but, close enough. (Pool boy?)
They have pools in Hogansville?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
a)The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

b) At both ends of ordered consciousness and inbetween; in the formation of consciousness and will, the sustaining of these and their shoring up . But mostly God is at the end ( outside) of ordered human consciousness. People meet with my God when they seek God or of God due the disorder of life, usually from within a life crisis or simply from seeking God.

c) My God is a savior of the poor due a charity that surveys beyond or outside of what I can understand by myself ( and every body else). Poverty is not only lack of wealth, it is also despair.

d)My God is the first and the last will known to me that is consistent from the first to the last. I know my God even in the lives of people who might not know of my God. My God is the creator of my consciousness and all that my consciousness can claim as an object from bias to beans.
Your god has a lot in common with all the other gods.
We can go round and round on this unprovable claims merry go round but I hope that you see the flaws in your claims and actually have something tangible that you can back them up with.

I "get" what people think their god means to them.
I want you guys to actually produce a god instead of your fantasies. So far, all the things claimed are hype for a no show.

gordon 2

Your god has a lot in common with all the other gods.
We can go round and round on this unprovable claims merry go round but I hope that you see the flaws in your claims and actually have something tangible that you can back them up with.

I "get" what people think their god means to them.
I want you guys to actually produce a god instead of your fantasies. So far, all the things claimed are hype for a no show.

I see. I guess I misunderstood your questions.

ambush80

Again, yes you can have blood test, DNA to scientifcally prove they are your Bio Parents. Your question was Is there anything in your life that you believe in prior to having evidence. You have no evidence other than you believe that they are your bio parents.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=745946&highlight=testimony

Have you ever seen someone whom is unsaved get convicted at church that they are headed to &#%^ get saved? When you see the true conviction it should be enough proof for anyone.

Friend of mine was called to preach. He ran from it not wanting to do it. He ended up having a wreck, was thrown out of the car. His bible was laying on the ground beside him, the only glass left in the car was a window that had a cross sticker on it. Even EMT could not believe he survived much less without major injuries.

Another friend, had most of his intestines removed and was told he wouldn't survive past 21. He past away in 2007 at 88 years old.

Prayers my wife has prayed for about her job, she went today from $7 something an hour to almost triple that an hour. Same job, doing same thing, same location, same employer.

How about the holy spirit get on someone? Have you seen it happen? Have you experienced it yourself? This ole boy right here cannot talk in front of more than about 2 people much less a group he knows and especially a group of over 100 he does not know. I will refuse and not do it period. It has been put on my heart before, more than once that I needed to say something at church. once was in front of the church of over 100 I did not know. There is no feeling like it and afterwards I will end up with legs a shaking like shooting that big buck.

I can somewhat understand why folks do not believe when they have never been around it nor opened their hearts up to it and only use their carnal minds and try to figure things out to get proof of something. One thing is for sure, as long as folks keep trying to prove there is not a God they still give the slightest hope to other non believers that maybe just maybe there is a God because no one can prove there isn't.

That's not good enough evidence for me and it wouldn't be for you either if someone was claiming the same things about the power of some other God that you don't personally believe in.

j_seph

That's not good enough evidence for me and it wouldn't be for you either if someone was claiming the same things about the power of some other God that you don't personally believe in.

There is only one God, one creator. Almost sounds as you are confused or rather cannot make up your mind if there is one God or not. Like it says in 1 John, try the spirits. Until you experience it you will never understand and even then there will be no full understanding of it all.

1 John 4:1-5

4 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.