I'm still knappin'.........

Al33

.....and feelin' guilty about not prioritizing what I should be doing. I just can't help it.:eek: Despite sore hands and other things that need my attention it seems the rocks keep getting a large portion of my awake hours, and some of my sleep hours too.:bounce: Oh well, I sure am enjoying learning how to do this. I have got to work on more consistent flaking patterns but up until now I have been more concerned with learning the dynamics and techniques for making good flakes without hinges as well as the tools to do them with. Missing Ridge has been helping me out in the tools department and we have enjoyed experimenting with some he has made. Twice we have made the trip to Newnan and spent Saturdays knapping and learning with a group (15-20) that meets there once a month at Dave's place. He has plenty of rock to buy so we have been experimenting with the rocks also. Last Saturday I bought some Rainy Butte rocks that came from North Dakota and I REALLY like them. The material flakes well and has a beautiful milk chocolate color with a nice patina that looks old even after flaking.

Here are 18 of my latest points from several different types of rock. Thanks for letting me share here and I welcome any and all constructive critisism from you pro-knappers.:)

BTW Nic, take a close look at that black one (top left). I ran a 1 1/4" flute up one side of this 1 7/8ths" long point. My flute on the opposite side went 15/16ths. I was real tickled when I did it and it didn't break.:p I have a couple of others that ended up in pieces when I tried the flutes.:(

Attachments

• 18points12-11-07.jpg
    18points12-11-07.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 414

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Great work Al. Congrats.:cool:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Al, your progress is evident and you`re doin` very well! Looks like you`ve got the hang of it.

Flutin` is a very tricky subject, because you`re havin` to break one of the cardinal no-nos of flintknappin, which is, THIN THE BASE AND ENDS OF THE PREFORM FIRST, THEN THE BASE LAST! After that, don`t hit the ends with percussion anymore. But, when you are makin` fluted points, you don`t have much choice, this is the second to last step in makin` a Clovis point.

When you get up the nerve, make a good Clovis preform, no more than about 3 inches long, then set it up and flute it. In fact, make a pictorial of it so we can see what happens. If the preform has a central ridge on it, it will make the process much safer. Look back at my pictorial from last year if you need some pics to go by.

You`re doin` great!!

Nugefan

you go Al .....:banana: :banana: :banana:

OconeeDan

Al, you are truly talented! Very nice arrowheads!
For what it's worth, my wife immediately said she liked the black one most!
Dan

OconeeDan

By the way, Al, are you going to use YOUR arrowheads when you go after deer or hogs? That would make a kill extra special!

Al33

By the way, Al, are you going to use YOUR arrowheads when you go after deer or hogs? That would make a kill extra special!
Maybe after I build a stick bow, make some river cane arra's, and kill a few pigs with my conventional gear I will consider it.;)

choctawlb

Outstanding work there Al.:cool: If your arms are hurting , start using your legs to throw them flakes, largest muscle in the body, if you'll learn to use them your arms and elbows won't hurt near as bad. My elbows used to kill me when I was just using my arms, flakes went a lot further when I started using my legs too. You have come a long way in a short, mostly due to a lot of practice. Keep her up.
Ken

Handgunner

Coming along NICELY Al!

If we can, we going to try and come up and take part in that Newnan get together one day!