Indian Olive

Bigga Trust

Anyone heard of these shrubs. I am reading William Bartram's journal of when he travelled thought Georgia around and between Augusta and Savannah in the 1700s. He referred to these plants as Indian Olive or physic nut. He said Indians carried it with them when they hunted deer and it had the " power of charming and drawing them near. With the traders it obtained the name physic nut, which means to them charming, conjuring and fascinating"

Swamprat

Swamprat
Google Indian Olive.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Quite rare shrub. I've only seen it growing once in my life, in Orange County, NC.

Bigga Trust

Quite rare shrub. I've only seen it growing once in my life, in Orange County, NC.
That is what I thought. I have never heard any Ol Timers mention it or have seen it discussed on these threads. Bartram was quite fascinated by it in his writings.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
From what I have read, it was much more prevalent 200 years ago. It grows on pine root, and to a lesser degree hardwood roots. I would say deforestation took a toll on it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There is a related very rare shrub that grows around here called pirate bush, from the same family. It is parastic on hemlock roots, but requires full sun. That is a weird niche, as hemlocks are very thick trees that are usually really shady under them. I know where a couple colonies of them are at near where I live.