info please

shotgunhales

Found in Burke County. Its def different material than I usually find and the style is different too. I'm thinking material is from the mountains and maybe paleo?

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 400

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That is a Paleo. Looks like a Beaver Lake. Shame about that tip.

Pointpuller

Nice find. Shame about the tip.
Looks more Woodland to me. Been lots of confusion over the years between Santa Fe/Tallahassee. But Im guessing Woodland era. What other types you find there? Pottery shards in that field? Might help with typing this one.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nice find. Shame about the tip.
Looks more Woodland to me. Been lots of confusion over the years between Santa Fe/Tallahassee. But Im guessing Woodland era. What other types you find there? Pottery shards in that field? Might help with typing this one.

Didn`t think about that.

OP, is the base ground?

shotgunhales

Yes a lot of pottery shards in area. Ill try to post some pics later of other points ive found in the same area. I believe most of them to be bolens. Excuse my ignorance not exactly sure what you mean by the base being ground?

Pointpuller

Yes a lot of pottery shards in area. Ill try to post some pics later of other points ive found in the same area. I believe most of them to be bolens. Excuse my ignorance not exactly sure what you mean by the base being ground?

If you were to run your finger down the sharp edge of the blade, from the tip down to the base, you will feel a definite dullness towards the base if its ground. Most Paleo points have ground bases to help with the hafting of the point to keep it secure and not cut through the material used to bind it to the shaft. Im no expert but thats the way I understand it.

shotgunhales

it feels about the same sharpness all the way down. I'm trying to post pics of the other points ive found in the same area but it wont let me upload for some reason