Input from .270 WSM Shooters please

HughW2

Folks,

I have a nice but very finicky .270 WSM. To date I have found only one factory round that it really loves: the now discontinued Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bearclaw in 140 grain. Federal has replaced with the trophy bonded tip bullet. I do not have any experience with that offering yet and don't know if it will live up to the other loads' performance. I was also hoping to try Winchester ammo. In the past I have always relied on Federal or Remington and none of their other offerings work as well. MOA, complete pass throughs and exit wounds between the size of a quarter or half dollar. Most deer dropped at the shot or within five yards. Trouble with WSM stuff is it is just too expensive to drop $50-60 just to check out a load. I unfortunately do not reload. Thanks for input.

Buckman18

I made the WSM mistake once. I don’t want to sound negative, but unless there’s some sentimental value, I’d sell it and replace it with a normal caliber such as 270, 30-06, 308, or some such. No deer you ever shoot will ever know the difference, it’ll be a heckuva lot cheaper, and you may find you can actually enjoy target shooting guilt free.

Sixes

My Tikka in 270 WSM shoots 165 gr Federal Fusions as well or better than any brand that I tried when I first made the purchase and they are about the cheapest WSM shell out there.

I also own a Browning in 300 WSM and it shoots the Fusions lights out

GottaGetOutdoors

Extremely pleased with my Browning XBolt .270 WSM. It shoots well with Winchester Ballistic Silvertip, Barnes Vor-TX, and Horady Precision. All 130gr.

Bud Man

I have a Winchester model 70 , 270 WSM that I have zeroed at 300 yrds . Mine shoots the Federal Premium 130 gr Ballistic tip very well. Mostly 1 1/2 inch groups and deer have never gone more than 20 yrds. These round have proven very deadly for me. Its definitely my go to combo on clear cuts and fields , I love it. Bought a second 270 WSM in Browning as a back up same caliber for mid west hunts but haven't shot it yet.

delacroix

BANNED
Sell it and get another one. A well-made modern rifle will not be finicky for hunting accuracy. Tiny groups, yes, but if you try a few different loads in a properly set up rifle and it won't put one in a 1.5" 3-shot group it's not worth the trouble. This is assuming you have good bench technique.

My A-Bolt likes 150gr Fusion, but that's the only one I tried.

Last edited:
My Tikka in 270 WSM shoots 165 gr Federal Fusions as well or better than any brand that I tried when I first made the purchase and they are about the cheapest WSM shell out there.

I also own a Browning in 300 WSM and it shoots the Fusions lights out

165gr in a .270WSM?

Personally, I think the .300WSM is a very fine round and a great candidate for a North American all around cartridge.

I'm also a huge fan of Federal Fusion ammo and I have found it to be accurate in a lot of different rifles and calibers.

Last edited:

Sixes

165gr in a .270WSM?

Personally, I think the .300WSM is a very fine round and a great candidate for a North Americal all around cartridge.

I'm also a huge fan of Federal Fusion ammo and I have found it to be accurate in a lot of different rifles and calibers. (y)
Sorry about that, 165s are in the 300 WSM and 150s in the 270 WSM

Buckstop

I’d start with another similarly constructed 140 gr bullet to start as you know it liked that weight in the bear claws. Good chance it will shoot the Fed tipped rounds as good. As for game performace, for deer hunting, a bonded bullet is not really required. Pretty much any bullet including a cheap cup and core will have good results if you do your part.

SC Hunter

165gr in a .270WSM?

Personally, I think the .300WSM is a very fine round and a great candidate for a North American all around cartridge.

I'm also a huge fan of Federal Fusion ammo and I have found it to be accurate in a lot of different rifles and calibers.

If I had my pick of a custom gun in any caliber I wanted it would be a 300 wsm. Its like the 30-06, great all around gun that you can do anything with. Except the 300wsm has a little more horsepower. I've loved every one I've ever had and will have another one eventually.

If I had my pick of a custom gun in any caliber I wanted it would be a 300 wsm. Its like the 30-06, great all around gun that you can do anything with. Except the 300wsm has a little more horsepower. I've loved every one I've ever had and will have another one eventually.

I couldn't agree more. I also like the idea that I can buy (build) a .300WSM that is shorter, lighter and still gives me more velocity than an '06. Another way to look at it is this, you get a bump in bullet weight and downrange performance with similar velocities.

For the most part, the OP's .270WSM will shoot 150s at the same velocity as 130s out of a .270 and the .30 cal version will do the same thing. Of course not everyone wants or needs that, but there are advantages to a "jump" in weight. In like bullet types, the 165s will outperform the 150s and the 180s will outperform the 165s. The heavier bullets launch at the same velocities from the magnums as the lighter ones from standard, and have better BCs & SDs. Win, win!

My tikkas 270 wsm love the 130 winchester ballistic silvertips but they seem to be hard to find lately

My .270WSM is fond of the 150gr Winchester BST. It's a Model Seven Whitetail, a Shot Show special several years back with fluted barrel and laminate stock. Looks to me like they just wanted to get rid of the surplus M673 barrels and stocks....lol.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Been shooting the Federal 110 gr. Barnes TTSX for several years with excellent results. Of course Federal no longer makes this combo any longer but I’ve got over 20 boxes left. Bought it cheap when they were closing them out. Double Tap loads the 110 gr. TTSX though.