interarms mark x

hitchin

stopped by the pawn shop yesterday; and a mark x 30/06 followed me home.I have seen them for years but being a 700 fan I considered them second tier. It seems to be decently made. Anyone here with experience with one?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
stopped by the pawn shop yesterday; and a mark x 30/06 followed me home.I have seen them for years but being a 700 fan I considered them second tier. It seems to be decently made. Anyone here with experience with one?

Put the safety on and squeeze the trigger with the gun empty. I have one and that had to be ajusted. Great rifle.

JWarren

I have had them in the past and found them to be a good rifle.

GAHUNTER60

Since when is a Model 98 Mauser actioned rifle inferior to a push-feed Remington 700?

The Interarms Mark X was made by Zastava in what is now Serbia. It is the identical rifle to an FN Model 98 from Belgium, only it's cheaper because of production costs and a lack of the FN's spit polish. It has been marketed under an array of names over the years: Whitworth, Interarms, Charles Daly, and most recently, Remington Model 798.

I have a Mark X in .375 H&H, and it is the most accurate big bore rifle I own. When and if I ever return to Africa, it will make the trip as my primary plains game gun, and back-up dangerous game rifle.

Enjoy your "new" rifle. I'll bet it performs flawlessly for you.

chuckdog

They're fine rifles, but they're not a 700.

A 98 doesn't completely surround the case as the 3 rings of steel design of the 700, nor is the lock time comparable in the grand ole 98 design.

Not knocking the 98, but the 700 is a superior action in this old guy opinion. Trouble now is Big Green's Q.C. ain't worth a spit. I only buy Remington's rifles for projects now.

If I want an out of the box shooter I buy a Winchester, Tikka, Savage, or Browning now.

cmshoot

I've got an Interarms Mark X action squirreled away for a future project, along with a semi-inletted cherry blank. It's going to end up as a .35 Whelen with a Hart match barrel in a half-round/half-octagon barrel.

weagle

Man, I'd love to run across one of those mini-actions. Have never seen one in the used gun rack.

The Zastava actions are awesome. I hunt with a .223 mini mauser. It's more of a Sako Vixen copy than the standard 98 size action. You can buy new Zastava rifles.

20131123_103745-1_zps95b8e5d3.jpg

Darien1

I was in Franklins in Athens back before Christmas and they had several of the Zastava;s in 223, 7.62X39 and .22 hornet. I bought a CZ in 7.62 by 39 and another in .223 so I am all set.

chainshaw

I had one in 7mag for years. It was a great rifle and I killed a ton of deer with it. I just got tired of the pounding that my shoulder was taking. I sold it and bought a .308.

Hindsight being 20/20, I wish that I would have kept it.

W4DSB

have one in 7x57 and it's a KEEPER!!

gordon 2

I have this rifle in 30-06, had it since the early 80s. It is my favorite rifle. I've put many many rounds through it--as I reload for it. It never failed. I have a Timney trigger on mine which I put on after I purchased it. There was nothing wrong with the original trigger for hunting, but for the range the Tim helped my marksmanship.

I also have one of these in 308, under the name Zastava, which is the same rifle as far as I can tell.

If you like mauser action, the Mark x is the real deal.

The Interarms Mark X is the original Mauser 98 bolt action - two lug bolt, full length claw extractor, fixed blade ejector, and excellent gas escapement. Almost all modern production rifles (M70, M77, M700) share features that are original to Peter Paul Mauser's original Model 98. Almost every serious bolt action rifle used for big game (especially dangerous game) will have M98 features. Interestingly, the M98 was originally developed as a battle rifle - for the other dangerous game.....

jamielyn

I had one, in about '72 in .30-06 it was a beautiful piece. Very well crafted. I also had an Interarms PPK/S in .380, well crafted as well. Pieces such as these are the foundation of all rifles. The '98 Mauser and the '03 Springfield will never go out of "style". I'd love to have either in .25-06. I'm not a hunter, just an old toolmaker.

Last edited:
I had one years ago in 7 mag and it's was a dern good rifle. It had a custom thumbhole stock and it would shoot, just heavy. Mauser action was hard to beat .