Interesting map on slave populations across the south in 1860

Interesting, but I wonder if anyone has checked the validity of the "recreator's" numbers? I note that he does not list the percentage of enslaved in D.C., that the Delaware Counties which were almost exclusively plantations show low percentages of "enslaved," and that the percentage of "enslaved population" for many low population southern counties with few plantation properties exceeds 70%.

The recreation lists almost 4,000,000 slaves (about 15% of that number in the four non Confederate states) and a total free population of over 8,000,000. I remember reading somewhere - decades ago - that the 1860 census was often decried by people in both the North an South as extremely inaccurate. Supposedly, (if I remember the arguments correctly) the number of slaves was grossly exaggerated by the census in an effort to increase southern congressional seats. It would be worthwhile to compare the 1860 census to both the 1850 and the 1870!

I also wonder how this recreation compares to the original 1861 propaganda map supposedly created to support the Sick and Hurt Board of the federal Army? When the original was published in September 1861, the war was not going well for the North and public support for Lincoln's War was fading. Every bureaucrat in Lincoln's D.C was working to find some propaganda piece to sway the election coming in just two months.

Thread starter #5

dwhee87

I remember reading somewhere - decades ago - that the 1860 census was often decried by people in both the North an South as extremely inaccurate. Supposedly, (if I remember the arguments correctly) the number of slaves was grossly exaggerated by the census in an effort to increase southern congressional seats. It would be worthwhile to compare the 1860 census to both the 1850 and the 1870!
I'd not heard that (I'm admittedly not great on Civil War era history). It would indeed be interesting to compare to both the earlier and later census.

NOYDB

Wars are never about the propaganda and the hoi polloi is never privy to the truth.

Remember the Maine!