Introducing ducks to a pond

SarahFair

I'm looking at the possibility of hatching some ducklings with the ultimate goal of releasing them into a family owned pond (about 3 acres I believe).

These don't need to be overly friendly, not for eggs or meat, just more of a "decorative" aspect.

How self sufficiant will ducks become? (ie. Will they need daily supplemental feeding as adults or can they become 100% self sufficiant?)
What would be the best/most hardy breeds for our area? (nothing aggressive enough thatll go after humans, this pond is fished by bank and boat)
How far will they wonder from the pond (there is a porch up a hill about the length of a football field, would they wonder that far up?)

Pros and cons of ducks in ponds?

ghadarits

Its been my experience that if you don't live in a fairly populated area they will become food for a predator. You could possibly combat the predation by releasing a whole bunch so that some might have time to figure things out. I released 5 ducklings and 5 adult mallards (Flight feathers removed from one wing) at the same time and none of them survived past the second week they were all eaten by something. This was in Washington county so there were plenty of predators around to take advantage.

Toliver

1. Remove all the snapping turtles or they'll get eaten from beneath.

2. They will forage around the perimeter for crawfish. We had too many ducks in our pond and they actually caused collapses around the pond from their constant digging.

3. Babies can't be released on water without a mama. She does some mama magic that oils them up and makes them water tight. Otherwise they get waterlogged and drown.

4. I would pick larger ducks like Pekins or Rouens to help with the predators and they have no instinct to fly. Muscovey ducks wander way too much. They will either fly to visit other water or like ours waddle their happy butts across the road to visit neighbors.

5. Males don't quack if you want quieter birds.

pjciii

Its been my experience that if you don't live in a fairly populated area they will become food for a predator. You could possibly combat the predation by releasing a whole bunch so that some might have time to figure things out. I released 5 ducklings and 5 adult mallards (Flight feathers removed from one wing) at the same time and none of them survived past the second week they were all eaten by something. This was in Washington county so there were plenty of predators around to take advantage.
Probably a big snapping turtle.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Turtles, snakes, coyotes, coons, gators, bobcats and avian predators all love duck dinners.

Plan on building some type of shelter and feeding them, especially the young ones.

Toliver

Turtles, snakes, coyotes, coons, gators, bobcats and avian predators all love duck dinners.

Plan on building some type of shelter and feeding them, especially the young ones.
Don't forget about bass; they love some duckling dessert.

basshappy

BANNED
@SarahFair good advice above.

You could roll the dice and gamble. If you are good with taking the equivalent cash value of price of ducks, food, housing to get them mature and burn that cash without worry, go for it.

They won't have parents teaching them important things for survival, so you will want to buy a lot and figure that 75% will become a meal from something in the water, on land, or in the air. Don't have kids name them and get attached. Maybe name them Meal 1, Meal 2, etc. ;)

A mate of mine had a pair breed and they lost 50% and these were wild ones. Coyotes and hawks / owls were his nemesis as nothing in the water predated upon them.

Often using a duckling is frowned upon as a lure for big bass these days, but Lice Target makes a good one.

Good luck with the ducklings if you go the road!