Iowa Gun hunt

catch22

I know there is a lot of info on the web but I thought I'd ask the real experts. I may have permission to hunt a farm in Iowa. It would be private property.

I know that you have to apply for a bow tag and earn points.

Are gun tags available over the counter or online? Or do you have to get points for those too?

Jim Boyd

In many zones you can draw with no points for SG.

Determine what zone you are in and look at Iowa DNR site and they have statistics from previous years.

Good luck!!

Major Wader

MASH HERE

Link above for application. You missed the points drawing for this year. Iowa lets you buy points for $50 each year. Depending on the area, you will need somewhere between 0 and 4 to get a bow tag

catch22

Thanks Majot, but Im only interested in a muzzeloader or shotgun hunt. I was just wondering if I had to apply for those or if I can purchase them OTC

Major Wader

Same deal. You may get drawn with 1 or 2 less points, but it will depend on the area.

I'm buying points now, and plan to start applying 2020 to go hunt

Unicoidawg

Staff member
They also have some left over tags in some zones. Check Iowa's web site on July 28th at 6am when they post them. The best gun hunt as all the locals tell me is the late muzzleloader. The colder the better. My 2018 bow tag came in the mail yesterday.

Attachments

• Resized_20180709_133059.jpeg
    Resized_20180709_133059.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 4

Jim Boyd

They also have some left over tags in some zones. Check Iowa's web site on July 28th at 6am when they post them. The best gun hunt as all the locals tell me is the late muzzleloader. The colder the better. My 2018 bow tag came in the mail yesterday.

Now you are just bragging, Unicoi!!!

We are def glad for you, hope the hunt is excellent this time!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I know a couple guys that have been going to a private farm for probably 20yrs and I don’t think they have ever even bought a license

davidhelmly

I know a couple guys that have been going to a private farm for probably 20yrs and I don’t think they have ever even bought a license

I know a guy that goes to Timber Ghost in Iowa every few years, if you hunt the high fenced preserve you just buy your license/tag from them as part of the hunt package.