iPhone Backup

simpleman30

after 8 months with my iPhone 4s, i managed to lose it in the woods this weekend. spent quite a while looking for it and calling it, but it was on vibrate and the battery was less than 10% charged. pretty sure i lost it in a long stretch of tall grass and dog fennels, but even after re-tracing my steps on my hands and knees i couldn't find it.

i've got a new iPhone 4s ordered that should arrive at work tomorrow. my question is in regards to the "backup" of my now lost phone. when i would hook my old phone up to my Macbook for software updates or app updates, i noticed one of the steps while iTunes and the iPhone were syncing was "Backing Up iPhone." i've never seen a command or option to backup my phone and i never directed iTunes on what to backup. all of my phone's apps are in iTunes on my computer, but what about my settings, photos, videos, etc.? can i plug my new phone up to my Macbook and it sync up and automatically be setup exactly as my old phone was?

i'm hoping so, because there's a lot of pictures, videos, and other data that i really want to get back.

thanks for any info.

simpleman30

just thought to look this up in iTunes help section. here's what they said: "Back up your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad
When you connect your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to your computer, certain files and settings on your device are automatically backed up to your computer. You can restore this information to your device if you need to (if you get a new iPhone, for example, and want to transfer your previous settings to it).

Automatically backed-up information includes text messages, notes, call history, contact favorites, sound settings, widget settings, and more.

In addition, photos in Camera Roll (iPod touch 4th generation, iPhone, or iPad 2) or in Saved Photos (iPod touch 3rd generation or earlier, or iPad) are also backed up. Other media files (such as songs, videos, and some photos) aren’t backed up, but can be restored by syncing with iTunes."

since the videos i want to retrieve are videos taken with my lost iphone and are on the camera roll, do you think they would be backed up? i can't find any of my photos or videos from my phone in iTunes anywhere...

simpleman30

yeah, i don't use icloud. never thought to before now.