Is august to early?

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Mguthrie you are just up the river from my farm, I can assure you it is too early for grains. They will be toast. Do like Im doing asap, plant some iron clay peas and plant the grain in oct.
It's not up to me. I've told the prez it was way to early. His reply was I don't care,I want to have it done. It just made me smh. I won't be participating in these work days. I've got better things to do than waste it in the heat for no reason. The point of this thread was to confirm what I was thinking. Thanks for the replies

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I will say that in past years that really wasn't an issue as September started cooling down before the plants started to sprout but in the past few years we have really seen a jump in 90 plus degree days after Labor Day. Last year we tried planting towards the end of September but that was such a cluster trying to get everyone on board and still not interfere with peoples bowhunting that it was just a fiasco. And the season did not turn out as well as in prior years. Truth be known the foodplots are really for the deer now as everyone hunts over corn more than the plots, so they really are more for the deer when the hunter and corn are no longer there.
This is what I value food plots for. I can only remember killing one deer in a food plot. To me,it's more about providing food for them after deer season,before spring green up

Swamprat

Swamprat
We do late September....first week of October but last year but we did not had above average temps it really did not respond as well. We mainly plant oats and wheat for the turkeys though.