Is corn bad?

EEFowl

My main opposition to baiting in general is the non hunting public considers it cheating.
As you all know at current rates non-hunters are fast out numbering us.

Only about 10% of the population (nationwide and Georgia)are hunters, about 10% are anti-hunters, and about 80% of the population are non-hunters. So 90% of the population does not hunt.

Although non-hunters, the 80%, do not hunt, they are not opposed to you hunting. The anti-hunters, the other 10% are opposed to you hunting anything for any reason using any tactic.

Non-hunters and anti-hunters are opposed to hunting wildlife over bait and do look at it as 'cheating' or lazy.

Non-hunters have long out numbered hunters and when added to the anti-hunter population will have at least 90% of the legislative representation.

Think about that when you decide that you want a law changed that will allow a practice that is not approved of by 90% of the population.

EF

SADDADDY

That's what I'm talking about

scshep2002 said:
The only thing bad about corn is the cost of each bag seems to be going up!!!!!! :)

this is bad :shoot:

:bounce:

Last edited:

Beehaw

SADDADDY said:
this is bad :shoot:

:bounce:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have not laughed that hard in a while! You will notice, though, that my avatar is much more of a marksman. ::ke:

Randy

rpaul11 said:
I agree Randy...but you are only reading the parts you want to hear. It occurs in all corn...not just the corn in bait piles....read the documents....It also occurs in peanuts, cottonseed and many other nuts.....to stop feeding corn to wildlife will not rid the world of Aflatoxins. The animals will still have access to these as will people.

Many of the links talked about the effects of aflatoxins on humans and I have yet to see a human grazing at a corn pile.

Unless you cout the all you can eat corn roast :D
The question was weather corn is bad for deer. Not me. But you have a point, since we can not get rid of ALL of it lets allow ALL of it. I think that is the same arguement being used for legalizing drugs! I am not trying to rid the world of Aflatoxins. I do think we should minimze them where we can.

SADDADDY

question

If corn is so bad and baiting is the biggest taboo in the hunting community why is it a okay for people during the off season to supplemental feed or to use corn to attract deer to there trail camera sites :huh:

It blows my mind that people will kick and scream about how using corn is so wrong and is not acceptable practice for hunting, but on the flip side those are the one’s loading up the feeders or spreading corn all over god’s green earth to capture the deer on film :shoot: about 90% of all the trail camera pics I see show a deer and corn or deer and feeder or deer and mineral site etc.... ::ke:

What is the difference besides the obvious (hunting over corn) if we are so concerned about poisoning the deer or other wildlife for that matter :huh:

So my take is if feeding deer and other wildlife and all of it’s uses need to be stopped and just not focus on the “Baiting issue” as so many are quick to point out that it is the main problem, but I believe there are far more “recreational” feeders than there are people who actually use bait for hunting :huh:

Dana Young

I Used To Work In A Feed Lab We Did Alot Of Testing For Afflatoxins. The Afflatoxins Are Worse On Poultry So If You Have Corn In Your Feeders You Are Possibly Hurting Your Turkey Population. Also A Quick Test For Afflatoxins Is To Scan The Corn With A Black Light If Mold That Causes Afflatoxins Are Present It Will Illuminate. But That Doesn't Necessarily Mean There Are Afflotoxins Present. If You Are Going To Use Corn In Your Feeders You Might Want To Try This Quick Test.
Dana

Randy

SADDADDY said:
If corn is so bad and baiting is the biggest taboo in the hunting community why is it a okay for people during the off season to supplemental feed or to use corn to attract deer to there trail camera sites :huh:

It should not be OK. The problem is there is no law against it. Maybe we should work toward stopping it? That would give the DNR something to do in the "of-season."

LJay

Retired Mod
SADDADDY said:
Who in the heck Piles on the corn :huh:

Any expert baiter knows to be successful you have to spread (cast) the corn, Piles don’t work as well and will go bad ;)

Dang it! Guess I gotta give up my Corn Flakes for breakfast :eek:

Wonder if deer would like Corn Flakes? I know tree rats love it, I will get me a box I will let ya know how it turns out :bounce:

okay this is starting to turn into another baiting thread :cry:
Hey! Let me know about the cornflakes, them thangs ain't near as heavy as a bag of corn. :whip: ::ke: ::ke:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
hambone44 said:
Still plenty o' deer here in FL right on, too.... :smash:

This is an excerpt from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's 2005 Summit

Introduction

Background

Organizations who support hunting in the State are working together to hold a Summit on the Future of
Hunting in Florida. This Summit will be a call to action for Florida’s hunting community to step up
and do what is necessary to secure the future of hunting. In preparation for the Summit, the planning
team sought input from Florida hunters to better understand what these hunters felt were the most
important issues or challenges facing hunting in the State.

Purpose

The purpose of this research is to help the Florida Wildlife & Conservation Commission gain a better
understanding of what issues or challenges Florida hunters believe should be the focus of the
upcoming Summit on the Future of Hunting in Florida.

Methodology

To address this objective, VAI-MRO mailed surveys to a random list of licensed Florida hunters in
March 2005. Respondents were invited to participate in the study either by completing an enclosed
mail survey or by completing the survey online at a secure website. In total, 465 Florida hunters
completed a survey, virtually all via the paper questionnaire.
Throughout the report you will occasionally find a superscripted letter (e.g. E) next to some of the
percentages. Where such superscripted letters appear, they indicate that that percentage is significantly
different from the percentage in the adjacent column labeled by that letter.
Major Challenges to the Future of Hunting in Florida

Conclusions & Recommendations
Florida hunters participating in this study are generally pessimistic about the future of hunting in the
State. Far more hunters see the direction of hunting in the State getting worse rather than better
(56%
vs. 15%). Those who hunt on public lands are somewhat more pessimistic than those who do not (59%
vs. 50%).

Key reasons given for their pessimism are that there is less land available for hunting, less game, more
hunters and more hunters who are behaving badly and in some cases illegally.

When asked what one change they would make to improve the future of hunting in Florida, hunters
most often recommend that more land be made available for hunting and that this property made more
accessible (32%). Other changes vary considerably. Some wanting more liberal and others more
restrictive practices.
Participating hunters indicate that during the past three years, 32% have hunted exclusively on private
lands, 24% hunted exclusively on public lands (WMA and other) and 44% hunted on both private and
public lands. Overall, 76% have hunted on private lands and 68% have hunted on public lands. Given
the broad overlap, it’s important that the Summit address issues pertaining to hunting on both private
and public lands.
Florida hunters identify a number of key issues that they feel are most important to the future of
hunting in the State and that they believe should be addressed in the upcoming Hunting Summit.
Among the more general hunting issues, those perceived to be the most important to participating
hunters are: the erosion of hunter ethics and associated negative perceptions of hunters
(39%), the
impact of anti-hunting, animal rights activists (36%), the impact of excessively restrictive federal land
management policies and practices (33%), building a unified and politically strong coalition of hunters
in Florida (33%), and providing adequate hunting opportunities for new hunters (32%).
Three quarters of the participants choose one or more of three issues: erosion of hunter ethics and
associated negative public perceptions of hunters, impact of anti-hunting, animal rights activists, and
building a unified and politically strong coalition of hunters in Florida. So dealing with this negative
perceptions of hunters and hunting should definitely be one of the topics covered at the Summit.

labman

Banned
EEFowl said:
Corn itself is not bad.
Consentrating wildlife at a feeder site predisposes that wildlife to the spread of any disease that any of the wildlife are carring. CWD in particular.
Killing wildlife over bait reduces hunting to just that, killing wildlife over bait.

EF
Sorta like when they all eat them big white oak or any kind of acorns under an oak tree, they all eat at the same place. This doesn't hold water.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
labman said:
Sorta like when they all eat them big white oak or any kind of acorns under an oak tree, they all eat at the same place. This doesn't hold water.

hehehehe-Reckon why the first move wildlife biologists suggest in states where CWD is found is to ban all feeding and baiting of deer?

All those biologists must be wrong. :rofl:

labman

Banned
The problem with FL is there are to many subdivisions taking up the land where the wildlife use to stay. Developers are building where there have been hunt clubs for many many years. The wildlife has nowhere to go. Yesterday there was a deer hit in the middle of Jax on Atlantic Blvd. That is dead in the middle of the city. I say in the next 10 years there will be very little hunting left in North Fl or anywhere in Fl at the rate it's going. The city is buying up the land with public funds and makeing it nature preserves where you can't hunt just observe the birds and bee's. This is not all bad but the hunting is on it's way out here in FL.

labman

Banned
Jeff Young said:
hehehehe-Reckon why the first move wildlife biologists suggest in states where CWD is found is to ban all feeding and baiting of deer?

All those biologists must be wrong. :rofl:
That's because they can't make the trees stop dropping acorns and the Deer wont listen to them when they say not to eat at the same place as there friends. :D :huh:

Madsnooker

I'm not worried about corn killing off deer. Not gonna happen. The thought that corn would spread disease faster than if it's not there is :rofl: to me. Deer constantly come in contact with each other daily. Anybody that hunts knows this. If I had a dollar for every time I've seen deer eating under white oaks and licking each other, sniffing each others noses, etc. I would not be sitting at this desk.
If disease is present, it will run it's course with or without corn.

If you want to argue the aflatoxin angle than I might buy that a little

I guess some of you now think I'm for corn and baiting. Not even close. I don't use corn, never have and do not bait. If given the chance I would vote against baiting. ;)

(Actually I do bait as I use food plots) Hope I'm not a hypocrite. :huh:

Last edited:

striper commander

What about pop corn i heard deer love it. I thought about buying some 40 pound bags of it at sam's the other day and put in my yard feeder that has a corn soybean mix in it to see how they like it.

gabowman

Not trying to hijack this thread.....but if all the anti-baiters are so against putting out corn then why do alot of them do just that all during the summer months if it's harmful to deer? Not saying that EVERYBODY does but have read where alot of folks do it every year.

labman

Banned
gabowman said:
Not trying to hijack this thread.....but if all the anti-baiters are so against putting out corn then why do alot of them do just that all during the summer months if it's harmful to deer? Not saying that EVERYBODY does but have read where alot of folks do it every year.
Great question! Let's hear some responces to this. :huh:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
biggame11 said:
I see that in Wisconsin they only stopped baiting in the areas that have confirmed cases of CWD.

I would think that they would have outlawed it completely if it is the main reason for the spread of CWD. :crazy:

It is not banned everywhere because of stuborn hard headed people that simply will not accept scientific analysis and fact.