Is corn bad?

csgreen1

If corn is so bad for deer and turkey :crazy: why are they not all dead in texas can some of you corn experts explain that one to me please.

Randy

No explaination necessary. You can research it and find many studies on it. Type in the word Aflatoxin and do a web search and you can read for days.

Last edited:

SADDADDY

It’s not inherently bad

but it’s also not the best thing either :huh:

Is driving a car bad? No, but you still run the risk of getting into a crash and dying, same for feeding wildlife corn, it’s all a roll of the dice I guess, many risk factors to consider but over all I would say no it’s not bad, heck we feed cows, chickens corn by the tons on a daily basis and they ain’t doing to bad :pop:

QuakerBoy

The amount af aflatoxins allowed in feed corn seem s to be comparable to the amount allowed in the cornyou and I eat from one of the pages I was reading.

So, does everyone who's afraid to feed cor to dear also fear feeding it to their family?

SADDADDY

rpaul11 said:
The amount af aflatoxins allowed in feed corn seem s to be comparable to the amount allowed in the cornyou and I eat from one of the pages I was reading.

So, does everyone who's afraid to feed cor to dear also fear feeding it to their family?

That was kind of the point I was trying to make, We probably poison ourselves far worse (Mcdonald’s Big Mac, fries, coke for example) than we would ever do to wildlife, all that garbage we put in our bodies on a daily basis wouldn’t add up to a hill of beans as far as what we feed to the wildlife in general :pop:

QuakerBoy

I don't feed the deer anything, but being that this is a anturally aoccuring toxin found in corn, peanuts, cottonseed and many other nuts, the deer and the people are gonna be exposed to a certain amount of it. Basically it seems unavoidable unless we as a nation stop growing these plants alltogether.

Randy

Bottom line is either you believe the reports from much smarter people than you or you don't.

Personally, I have never thoguht the anti-baiting crowd should use that arguement because the pro-baiting crowd does not care anyway.

I think what you will see is the song birds begin to disappear first then PETA will try to stop hunting because baiting is causeing the song birds to disappear. Remember what happend wiht the bald eagle? We were using pesticides to get rid of bugs. It worked fine. Then one day somebody noticed the eagles were gone. They did not die off immediately. It took time. I predict we will not see the effects of wide scale baiting until it is too late.

QuakerBoy

Randy said:
Bottom line is either you believe the reports from much smarter people than you or you don't.

I agree Randy...but you are only reading the parts you want to hear. It occurs in all corn...not just the corn in bait piles....read the documents....It also occurs in peanuts, cottonseed and many other nuts.....to stop feeding corn to wildlife will not rid the world of Aflatoxins. The animals will still have access to these as will people.

Many of the links talked about the effects of aflatoxins on humans and I have yet to see a human grazing at a corn pile.

Unless you cout the all you can eat corn roast :D

LJay

Retired Mod
The only toxins I feed deer is 180 grs. lead. That's pretty bad for them. ::ke: ::ke: :shoot: :shoot:

EEFowl

Corn itself is not bad. Hunting wildlife - deer - over corn or bait is .... well I will with hold my comment.

Corn is not a nutritionally balanced food source for deer, ie., it's not good for them, or rather it's not nearly as good for them as other food sources are.

Consentrating wildlife at a feeder site predisposes that wildlife to the spread of any disease that any of the wildlife are carring. CWD in particular. Don't all of the states that have CWD allow, or used to allow, hunting deer over biat? That's interesting.

It baiting is allowed or legalized it will not effect the number of deer harvested despite the argument that the pro-baiters use about helping to reduce the deer population.

Killing wildlife over bait reduces hunting to just that, killing wildlife over bait.

Since baiting will not effect the total harvest deer, is not a sound biological practice, and is not a good food source for deer, and reduces hunting deer to shooting deer that come to bait, then I would say that bait - corn - is bad.

EF

EEFowl

to stop feeding corn to wildlife will not rid the world of Aflatoxins. The animals will still have access to these as will people.

You are right alflatoxin mold will still be available but not any more availably that it would anyway so why voluntarly put more out there? It's not just about aflatoxins. What about CWD and other diseases. What about aflatoxin poisioning of turkey that eat this corn during deer season?

EF

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I think the main problem with corn and wildlife is it sitting in a pile and spoiling. Wildlife will eat it anyway. After spoiling the dangers are greatly elevated it will harm them.

My main opposition to baiting in general is the non hunting public considers it cheating.
As you all know at current rates non-hunters are fast out numbering us.
We need every person we can get on our side.

QuakerBoy

EEFowl said:
You are right alflatoxin mold will still be available but not any more availably that it would anyway so why voluntarly put more out there? It's not just about aflatoxins. What about CWD and other diseases. What about aflatoxin poisioning of turkey that eat this corn during deer season?

EF

First, why assume that any corn put out ther has aflatoxins...that is not the case.

I can't agree with you more about CWD but I was responding to the aflatoxin comment.

also...about the turkey....this is only from one source but it is what I found

Here's the page http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/aflatoxin.php

and here's the quote
A careful survey of the early outbreaks showed that they were all associated with feeds, namely Brazilian peanut meal . An intensive investigation of the suspect peanut meal was undertaken and it was quickly found that this peanut meal was highly toxic to poultry and ducklings with symptoms typical of Turkey X disease .

I did notice that it mentions early outbreaks but can't find much more about other outbreaks...I'm open to any information you may have :)

SADDADDY

Thunder Head said:
I think the main problem with corn and wildlife is it sitting in a pile and spoiling.

Who in the heck Piles on the corn :huh:

Any expert baiter knows to be successful you have to spread (cast) the corn, Piles don’t work as well and will go bad ;)

Dang it! Guess I gotta give up my Corn Flakes for breakfast :eek:

Wonder if deer would like Corn Flakes? I know tree rats love it, I will get me a box I will let ya know how it turns out :bounce:

okay this is starting to turn into another baiting thread :cry:

QuakerBoy

back to the original question...is corn bad

No...corn is a good source of carbohydrates which all animals use for energy.

Aflotoxins are bad. Not all corn has aflotoxins.

CWD is bad.

I'm not sold on wether baiting is bad or not.

But is corn bad? Not in my opinion.

Also....back to my previous post...the source of those poisonings was peanut meal...not corn.