Is He a Mountain Cur?

tdgilljr

I adopted Buxley when he was 7 months back in Oct 2018. His previous owners were told he was a Dutch Shepherd mix. He was a rescue from Alabama.

I shortly realized that a Dutch Shepherd he is not.

He is always tracking something, finds all critter holes, found and dug up a hibernating frog, found and killed some type of large field rat, and only barks for a reason, which is occasional.

He has dew claws (with bone, not just flesh).

I think he may a Mountain Cur, can anyway help with this?

I attached pics:
BUXLEY.jpg
20190104_125550.jpg

Attachments

• 20190104_125356.jpg
    20190104_125356.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 6

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
He looks a lot like one if he ain't. I've got one and they could be kin.

Hillbilly stalker

I trained several Dutch Shepherds for Police K-9,he does not have the characteristics of any I've seen. Dutch Shepherds normally are marked like a brindle German would look with erect, pointed ears. They are wired as tight as a Jack Russell on Red Bull. He very well might be a Mountain cur, or a mix, but either way he is a fine looking dog and sounds like a good one.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
Not saying there is no cur in him but probably not much. Maybe only the hunt in him. Head is not shaped right and his coat is to long. If he hunts, hunt him and see what he will do.

SC Hunter

I'm not sure what he is but I can say my male lab/chow/mixture of this and that dog I have now is the best dog I've ever owned. My fiance's full blooded great pyrenees is worthless and nothing but trouble haha what I'm getting at is it doesn't matter what he is, he sounds like a great companion.

tdgilljr

I trained several Dutch Shepherds for Police K-9,he does not have the characteristics of any I've seen. Dutch Shepherds normally are marked like a brindle German would look with erect, pointed ears. They are wired as tight as a Jack Russell on Red Bull. He very well might be a Mountain cur, or a mix, but either way he is a fine looking dog and sounds like a good one.

Thanks for your insight.

tdgilljr

Not saying there is no cur in him but probably not much. Maybe only the hunt in him. Head is not shaped right and his coat is to long. If he hunts, hunt him and see what he will do.

Thanks so much. I am not a hunter, haven't a clue how to go about training him. but I am going to have to seek out some ideas on how to promote the hunt in him for emergency preparedness purposes.

tdgilljr

I'm not sure what he is but I can say my male lab/chow/mixture of this and that dog I have now is the best dog I've ever owned. My fiance's full blooded great pyrenees is worthless and nothing but trouble haha what I'm getting at is it doesn't matter what he is, he sounds like a great companion.

I TOTALLY know what you mean. MUTTS RULE!
Yes, he is my baby boy buddy!