Is it over.....

Rabun

Whoa...think I'd been a wee bit nervous walking up on her. Sounds like she'll be moving on soon. I imagine she's hungry. Thanks for the reports through the hibernation(y)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Whoa...think I'd been a wee bit nervous walking up on her. Sounds like she'll be moving on soon. I imagine she's hungry. Thanks for the reports through the hibernation(y)
Yeah, I'm gonna be more careful from now on. Today is the first day she acted halfway alert.

ripplerider

She probably wouldnt miss one of those babies just ease in there and slip one out. They're real cute when they suck on your finger before their teeth come in but their claws are sharp when they're born so they might draw a little blood. I got to hold one quite a few times a long time ago after one of my Dad's co-worker's husband hit and killed a big sow with 2 cubs in his dump truck. I dont know what became of the other one but this lady brought that cub to work every day in a cardboard box with a blanket in it. There was a steady stream of people dropping by to see and hold it. They were much less common back then. Without going into too much detail even 30+ years later no-one local did anything about it for weeks because of who her husband worked for. one day a DNR supervisor from ...a pretty large town south of us showed up and told her he was confiscating it. When she told him who her husband worked for he said "Yeah? Well I dont work for him ma'am". And that was the end of that. That was one cute affectionate little bear. Of course it was for the best, DNR had someone who rehabbed wild animals without habituating them to humans.

ripplerider

Dad passed on a week ago Sunday by the way. He's in a better place now, he wouldnt have wanted to linger in the shape he was in.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
She's still there.

Rabun

Really...sure would have thought she'd have been up and about by now. Winter must be holding on up your way.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It was 25 this morning. Good chance of snow tonight.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Was 27 here this morning, but wife saw a bear crossing Unicoi Saturday.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Was 27 here this morning, but wife saw a bear crossing Unicoi Saturday.
The boars are up running around here now, the sows with cubs apparently not yet. At least not this one. She will be before long, though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
She’s gone today.