Is that really a yote

hunter 85

I’m really questioning if that isn’t a wolf with its size posting the picture of a doe as size comparison

Attachments

• 7EB4D513-75A6-44AB-ACFF-6081D9560E16.jpeg
    7EB4D513-75A6-44AB-ACFF-6081D9560E16.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 03EA4FB4-D8AB-4CDE-82A1-56ABCE16E848.jpeg
    03EA4FB4-D8AB-4CDE-82A1-56ABCE16E848.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 286

shdw633

Werewolf!!!....or a yote with mange, either one.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
He’s got some long legs , I’d say yote with mange , maybe it will kill him !

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Almost every yote in the eastern US has a good bit of wolf DNA and some dog DNA. Most genetic studies show about 20%-30% wolf and around 10% dog. They ain't western yotes. They also pack up and have color variations like wolves.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
That is nothing but a YOTE (possibly with mange) and I have plenty of yotes that are fairly large with really longs legs and somewhat look like wolves.

I recently had another black yote show up recently and I also posted it here in the trailcam forum and this is the 3rd black one that has been on my trail cameras since 2012.

THE HUGE BLACK ONE IN 2012 DID NOT SURVIVE AS IT WAS CAUGHT IN A HOG TRAP THAT I WAS USING TO ELIMINATE SOME REALLY LARGE HOGS WITH. IT WAS DISPATCHED AND I POSTED PHOTOS HERE THAT MOST EVERYONE WAS TOTALLY SURPRISED AT HOW BIG AND IT WAS BELIEVED TO BE THE BIGGEST KNOWN YOTE IN GEORGIA . SEVERAL PEOPLE, INCLUDING DNR PERSONNEL, LAW ENFORCEMENT PERSONNEL AND A NUMBER OF LOCAL CITIZENS WERE INVOLVED IN THE VIEWING AND OVERALL DISCUSSION AFTER THIS YOTE WAS ANALYZED AND OFFICIALLY WEIGHED AT 80 LBS......EVEN THOUGH, IT APPEARED TO NOT HAVE EATEN FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

CLICK ON THIS LINK FOR THE STORY OF IT:

http://forum.gon.com/threads/black-coyote-finally-bit-the-dust.688757/

IF YOU ARE NEW HERE, I HOPE THAT YOU CLICK ON THIS LINK AND SEE THIS CREATURE AND READ ALL OF THE COMMENTS THAT THIS YOTE WAS BELIEVED TO POSSIBLY BE A RED WOLF INSTEAD. IT WAS AN EDUCATIONAL JOURNEY FOR ME BECAUSE AT THAT TIME, I HAD NEVER HEARD OF A RED WOLF BUT THE EVIDENCE IS OUT THERE AND IT SURELY MAKES YOU WONDER.

I BET 99.9 % OF YOU NEVER KNEW THAT RED WOLVES USED TO ROAM THE ENTIRE AREA OF GEORGIA AND SEVERAL OTHER STATES BACK ABOUT 250 YEARS AGO. READ UP ON IT AND IT IS VERY INTERESTING IN THE TRAVELS DOCUMENTED BY MR. WILLIAM BARTRAM, WHO WAS ONE OF THE MOST FAMOUS EXPLORERS BACK IN THAT ERA. IT IS INTERESTING THAT THE ORIGINAL "BARTRAM TRAIL" CAME FROM WAY UP IN THE MIDWEST AND TRAVELED SOUTHWARD ALL THE WAY TO THE WESTERN FLORIDA COASTLINE AND IT CAME THROUGH LINCOLN COUNTY WITHIN ONLY A MILE OR TWO FROM MY PROPERTY. (KEEP IN MIND THAT BACK THEN, THERE WERE NO ROADS ETC AND TRAILS HAD TO MADE TO CONTINUE THIS EXPLORATION.)

PS: I AM VERY THANKFUL FOR OUR RESIDENT HISTORICAL EXPERT, MR NICODEMIS BAKER FOR EDUCATING ME AND LOTS OF OTHERS ABOUT THE EXPLORATIONS OF MR BARTRAM AND HIS VERY DETAILED ACCOUNTS WAY BACK DURING THAT TIME PERIOD. I GREW UP KNOWING ABOUT THE BARTRAM TRAIL AS THE HISTORICAL MARKERS WERE LOCATED IN LINCOLN COUNTY AND I FREQUENTLY SAW THESE BUT NEVER REALIZED JUST HOW FAMOUS AND IMPORTANT THAT THIS EXPLORATION WAS TO THE UNITED STATES.

Last edited:

hunter 85

Thank you for the replies! Everyone. We are lucky that we have really don’t see to many coyotes or sign of them on our property but even at that when I got that picture it shocked me cause I didn’t realize they would get that big

Mark K

Banned
Almost every yote in the eastern US has a good bit of wolf DNA and some dog DNA. Most genetic studies show about 20%-30% wolf and around 10% dog. They ain't western yotes. They also pack up and have color variations like wolves.
Your coyotes are different than ours then. Not sure what you mean by “pack up”? Never seen more than 2 together. Never seen more than 2 sets of tracks together. They aren’t wolves, lol. Maybe in NC they might be, but not here in Georgia.

Mark K

Banned
Thank you for the replies! Everyone. We are lucky that we have really don’t see to many coyotes or sign of them on our property but even at that when I got that picture it shocked me cause I didn’t realize they would get that big
He’s not that big unless you consider 30 to maybe 40lbs big. My biggest so far wasn’t but 32lbs I believe. And he wouldn’t even stand for a picture.F12F6286-569E-4997-8E72-4B9142D88722.jpegThis one weighed in at all of 30lbs. That fur sometimes makes them look a little larger than they are. B03BDC1A-71DC-4B51-B05A-D5EE291CC9E1.jpeg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Your coyotes are different than ours then. Not sure what you mean by “pack up”? Never seen more than 2 together. Never seen more than 2 sets of tracks together. They aren’t wolves, lol. Maybe in NC they might be, but not here in Georgia.

A few years back I lived in Spalding County. The coyotes would come across our pasture in packs chasing game. Sounded like banshees coming through there was so many in a pack.

Mark K

Banned
You “saw” packs of coyotes? Or you “heard” packs of coyotes?
My next question, other than a mom with pups, does anyone have pics of these packs? Or are they like the panthers we have, everyone in Georgia has them on their property, but no one has a pic of one.

Mark K

Banned
If we had packs of coyotes like the wolves, we wouldn’t have many deer left after a few years. Look where wolves were reintroduced in the NW and look at their deer numbers compared to what they were before wolves.

ShortMagFan

I’ve got a picture of 5 coyotes together. In daylight no less. Tried to post it but got a message it’s too large. From early March in the piedmont of South Carolina. Not the first pic like that either. Just sayin’

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
21574-20170829090936-100MFCAM_MFDC0196 - Copy.JPG7 in frame. 2 fawns on cam there the next day.
I had a distorted pic in this sequence I was discussing with Moultrie, it showed 8 or 9 sets of eyes, but I never got my hi res of it.
Could be pups, but at 4 months old I figured there would be more size difference. The female pups stay with the mothers pack after they are weaned. I've heard some absolute chaos through the years, up close.

Last edited:

oldguy

I'm with Mark K on this one. Been trapping over 50 years. Walking, riding dirt roads looking for coyote sign. NEVER see signs of a "pack". One maybe two sets of tracks. One set of droppings unless you're on the intersection/boundary of several home ranges where they all mark their territory. Have caught more than might be expected on 400-500 acres but were drawn by a seasonal food source - calves dropping on an adjoining property. Folks hear coyotes yipping, howling, and barking and swear there's a "pack", but one coyote can sound like several and a couple can sound like many, (a pack). Say what you want but truly if there were packs trappers would make multiple catches at sites where they pass through, like wolf trappers do. But for coyote trappers a double is a big deal. In my mind coyote "packs" fall in the same category as panther/cougar and bear sightings here in SOWEGA. I'd as soon expect to look up and see ol' Bill Bartram travelling through!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Your mileage may vary, but they definitely pack up here, and I've seen it and heard it in SC many times, too. Sometimes right at dark, you'll hear one howl, and four or five more will answer. Then, after awhile you'll hear a whole mess of them together raising cain chasing something. NOT one or two. You can call me stupid or a liar, but I know what I see with my own eyes. Go out in the snow here if you want to see sign of multiple yotes running together. I'm really surprised that you've never experienced it. I've seen several together many, many, many times, and hear a bunch of them together almost nightly. You can call me a liar or whatever, but you must not get out much. I guess you never see the black ones and blonde and red ones, either. Show me those out west.

As for the wolf DNA, that's not my idea. That's pretty much every scientific study that has been published about eastern yotes.

I won't argue with y'all, and you can think I'm an idiot. But I know what I see with my own eyes. And DNA doesn't lie.