It's A New Year Oglethorpe Co 2015

Arrow3

Mr C. I bought it last year from a coworkers dad. It's a 1972 Belgium made BLR

Buford_Dawg

Thanksgiving week...

So, my 15 YO and I hung out at deer camp in Sandy Cross all week for most part. Deer sightings were decent the days before Thanksgiving and as already reported, my son got a nice buck. Thanksgiving day thru Sunday was not so good. Lots of doe shooting on neighbors and very little sightings on our clubs. What few does we saw got a pass. It was a wonderful week to be in camp and the woods with our families and friends once again. We are going to take some time away from hunting for several weeks and catch our breathes. If anyone is aware of potential hunting property for lease or any clubs looking for members, please keep me in mind. We are quality minded, let the does and young bucks walk, etc....

Triple C, we need to get the young boys together for a squirrel hunt once deer season is over.

Good luck to all OC hunters remainder of season.

Triple C

So, my 15 YO and I hung out at deer camp in Sandy Cross all week for most part. Deer sightings were decent the days before Thanksgiving and as already reported, my son got a nice buck. Thanksgiving day thru Sunday was not so good. Lots of doe shooting on neighbors and very little sightings on our clubs. What few does we saw got a pass. It was a wonderful week to be in camp and the woods with our families and friends once again. We are going to take some time away from hunting for several weeks and catch our breathes. If anyone is aware of potential hunting property for lease or any clubs looking for members, please keep me in mind. We are quality minded, let the does and young bucks walk, etc....

Triple C, we need to get the young boys together for a squirrel hunt once deer season is over.

Good luck to all OC hunters remainder of season.

BD...You got that right! If I hear about any land coming up for lease around us I'll let you know.

Got 2 of our mounts from last year back over Thanksgiving. We been hunting our place since 2011. Didn't take a buck until 2012. Took one doe last year and none so far this year in an effort to make sure we have plenty of doe(s) using our place year round. Here's a pic of most of the bucks we've taken since 2012. Smallest one, 1st from the left on the bottom was my grandson's 1st buck. Largest one, age and weight wise, was taken by grandson last year.
Bucks on wall.jpg

jbird1

Pretty bucks, Mr. C....looks like y'all have some width in the genes on your place...very nice!

We seem to have two different style bucks/antlers prevalent on our place. One is a darker, more narrow rack with really long tines and main beams and usually have more points. They can be beautiful little 8's as 1.5 yr olds. They also seem smaller bodied and typically have more of a brownish coat. We call them "pretty boys." The other style is a larger bodied, greyish colored deer. Their racks are lighter in color and wider with more mass and shorter tines. They usually max out as main frame 8 it seems. These guys are the "heavys" I believe.

I know Oglethorpe was stocked with Texas deer and a few other varieties so I'm assuming that's how we get both. This is non-scientific, anecdotal evidence from the past 30 years or so.

Triple C

Pretty bucks, Mr. C....looks like y'all have some width in the genes on your place...very nice!

We seem to have two different style bucks/antlers prevalent on our place. One is a darker, more narrow rack with really long tines and main beams and usually have more points. They can be beautiful little 8's as 1.5 yr olds. They also seem smaller bodied and typically have more of a brownish coat. We call them "pretty boys." The other style is a larger bodied, greyish colored deer. Their racks are lighter in color and wider with more mass and shorter tines. They usually max out as main frame 8 it seems. These guys are the "heavys" I believe.

I know Oglethorpe was stocked with Texas deer and a few other varieties so I'm assuming that's how we get both. This is non-scientific, anecdotal evidence from the past 30 years or so.

jbird...Funny you should say that about the different type racks. I've thought the exact same thing. Told my boys we must have a lot of those Texas genes running around.

frdstang90

I had one of my best days in the woods Sunday morning. Saw 9 deer with two different bucks chasing. It is unusual seeing chasing this late in the season but it has been a crazy one for me.

Buford_Dawg

Why must people trespass?

First, it was dead at my clubs this weekend. One doe seen by 5 members hunting. Very little deer on our trailcams and all at night. On another note, we found a double ladder stand and piles of corn on one of our properties from a adjacent neighboring property. So, both of my OC clubs have run into trespassers this year, thankfully we know who to call and get it addressed :D BTW, still looking for any leads on potential clubs that need members or property that I can lease, big or small.

Triple C

How do you rate you 2015 season?

With deer season winding down, just curious how you guys rate your deer hunting in OC this year. With so many complaining on the forum about lack of deer in their area I'm hoping we don't see the same thing here.

We've taken 1 buck and 1 doe from our place this season. Passed on a bunch of deer, both bucks and doe. Much fewer bucks on camera than what we had before the season opened so I'm just assuming the neighbors have taken a number of them. No worries...we always seem to have a few decent bucks make it thru the season. We're treating the doe population as off-limits for the most part, never taking more than 1 or 2 per season. Hoping we can continue to increase the number of deer that call our place home and avoid the "not seeing any deer" scenario. How bout you guys?

Buford_Dawg

I give it a 8

Been a good year, seen about the same amount of deer. Early season (up thru Thanksgiving) sightings were steady. Both my son's took nice bucks. I have killed nothing which is fine. I saw nothing nice enough to pull the trigger. Our clouds creek club was much better this year, the neighbors did not shoot up the woods as they did last year. And we took some strong bucks off of it. As far as I know, we have taken no does off of it. Our Sandy Cross club was about normal, as far as I know only 3 bucks have been harvested off of it, but I do not know for sure. I think 5 or 6 does have been harvested. At my SC club, one of our fellow neighbors continues to be brown its down, so that has some effect on us. They are good people, we talk some thru the season, their philosophy doesn't line up with our, but that is ok.

Only downside to the season is we have had trespassing issues from local neighbors on both clubs and have run into corn baiting issues as well from neighbors. We are re-posting all the property lines the week after Xmas and removing several stands that have been placed on our property this year by those neighbors :banginghe:banginghe If anyone is down the week after Xmas and want to meet up at the Sandy Cross café for breakfast after a morning hunt, hit me up.

Finally, I hope DNR continues to assess our doe herd. Continue to see less and less each year. It was nice to not hear all the gun shots early in the year, but when the doe days came in in November, there was lots of shooting around our SC club. Hoping the decrease in does days in the next few years will allow the herd to build back up around us. I do think it saved a few this year, maybe not many but a few.

Last edited:

jbird1

Deer sightings were down on our place for the most part this year...especially does. Most of the deer sighted were small bucks. The peak of the pre-rut hit during the week, 9th-13th, and a member who was able to be there saw some decent action. Personally, I saw more hog/yote than deer for the first time which is a little disturbing. Acorns were spotty at best and I get the feeling there could have been some feeders running on neighboring properties.

With all that being said, I enjoyed my time in the woods with family and friends. You can't get these days back so it was time well spent. I too hope the doe day restrictions will boost the herd in the coming years.

Triple C

BD...I'll be down most of next week. Just shot you a pm to see when we can hook up at the cafe.

Hoping a lot of folks are serious about laying off the does. It was nice not hearing boom boom early on in the season but man did that take a turn when ES days came in! Be just as nice to see a few more mature 4.5 yr old and older bucks cruising thru the woods as well. Hard to get em to that age.

Merry Christmas to all fellow Oglethorpe County hunters! Wishing all a great 2016!!! Already looking forward to a 2016 thread.

frdstang90

It has been a rough year on our club. 1 deer killed out of 16 members on 900 acres. I let a decent 8 walk second weekend of gun season but I am regretting it now. I knew it was going to be a bad season when I broke my wrist the weekend before bow season started. Well there is always next season.

hicktownboy

Really strange hunting in January. I saw a ton of deer in our food plots this past weekend including several bucks that had already shed.

frdstang90

My son and I saw quite a bit of movement last weekend. Just all does I reckon. I didn't look close enough to see if they had already shed their horns.

Chestnut

oglethrope co

WOW ,, what a wet season , ( ever where ) / was looking forward to getting back to Oglethorpe
guess the rain saved a lot of bucks ??
got the truck stuck at camp TODAY moving camper ::ke: ::ke: :banginghe :whip: :huh:
know rain good for the plots they are looking great .
just too much for the roads and me
hope it dry in March and April
chestnut

Todd E

………………………..
Two does and one buck. I'm glad it's over. Time to move on to other things.

Attachments

• 1918412_1051827268182507_1591313827843927890_n.jpg
    1918412_1051827268182507_1591313827843927890_n.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 195

Buford_Dawg

Yep, time to squirrel hunt and get ready for turkeys

I went down Saturday, winterized my camper and officially shut down the camp till turkey season. Went by my clubs and pulled all my cameras. All I had were a few small bucks and a few does. Cameras were over food plots and scrapes/licking branches. 2 of the bucks had already shed a antler as they only had one. Very disappointed at the small number of deer on my cameras at my SC club. Very few and the cameras have been out for over a month. Somewhat concerning :cry: Time to get ready for turkey season, hadn't seen much sign of them this year deer hunting, so not sure what to expect there. We will see I guess.