It's days like this...

Loafy

that make me want to give up teaching, pull my 2 kids out of public education, and buy a place to live on the moon.

It's only Wednesday. I have two more days to get through that I absolutly dread. That's no way to feel about a job.

On the bright side however, I only have 25 more years to go before retirement!::ke:

Randy

It could be worse. You could have my job!

GeauxLSU

Mr. Richards was my 5th grade science teacher. He had "the white horse". A long wooden paddle painted white with holes drilled in it for 'aerodynamics' so he 'could swing it faster'. ;) Mr. Richards didn't have any discipline problems. At least none that lasted more than a few moments. I can tell you I only 'rode the horse' once. :eek: That was PUBLIC school.
How many 'white horses' do you think are in public schools today? Unh hunh.... :rolleyes:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

TurkeyCreek

.....I have two more days to get through that I absolutly dread.......

That's not bad...I've got about 15 more years that I absolutely dread. :(

GeauxLSU

I only remember two paddlings.
One was the aforementioned ride on the horse which came as a result of a quick game of 'pick up football' when Mr. Richards stepped out of class. He wasn't sure who was participating so he just paddled EVERY male in the room just because they were males and one female (I still remember her name was Sharon - she was a cute blonde. ;) ) and I can't even remember if I was playing or not.
Second time was on rainy day and we were couped up in a class room (no gym) inside for P.E. (not a good combination). Can't remember what I did but a group of us were lined up waiting for the paddling from a very large coach and his ping pong paddle-paddle. When it got to my friend Michael in front of me, the coach hit him so hard on the rump the paddle exploded! I mean, handle flew apart, cover came off one side etc... Stupid me thought, "Cool! Now he can't paddle me!" Yeah whatever. He picked up the pieces and held it all together in his hand and commenced a swingin' again! :whip: :eek: Can't remember what I did there but I do recall it being justified. :eek:
I'd love to be a teacher and would like to one day, but it will be college kids.
GOD BLESS ALL EDUCATORS, especially in today's environment.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Loafy

I got the paddle twice in school myself and I was one of the biggest cut-ups there.
The difference now days is that I had enough respect to stop LONG before I HAD to stop.
D2D your wife is right about the system, I teach fifth grade also.

One of my biggest challenges being the only male teacher in the Elementary school is just keeping my cool.

The one thought that keeps running through my mind is "Boy, if you were mine, we would put an end to this elmo!"

Toliver

People say they wouldn't have MY job. At least I can do something about MOST of the situations I encounter. But to be a teacher? AIN'T NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skipper

Banned
It's like any other job dealing with the public. People these days are impossible to deal with. I would guess that about 40 to 50 % of the average class is made up of kids who's parents haven't learned to be an adult yet. Now they expect the teacher to teach their kids to be an adult.

Skipper

stumpman

Banned
Here where we live they now can tear your but up they started back paddeling again we dont have a whole lot of trouble around here from what my kids have said but this is a step in the right direction.

huntfish

I was a military brat and moved around quite a bit. My dad used to take me to the new school and inform the teachers that if I waw messing around, they should utilize the paddle that HE provided. It was one of the aerodyamic paddles that GeauxLSU described. And yes, it was used a couple of times. Dad usually finished the job when I got home in a similar manner that D2D described.

Tom Borck

Banned
Dawn2Dusk said:
Phil,
They can't even have a paddle visible in the room... They sure as crap can't use it!!!
!

NOT TRUE! Under parent request principal can paddle. We had several parents come in and watch their child get paddled! However, it is very RARE! I think we had 2 parents request paddling last year.

Loafy, this time of the year sure does make it hard to make it through. I have had a pretty good week! Knock on wood! Kids are getting pretty excited about the holidays and tend to get a little crazy. I have 20 years left! :speechles

Nick_T

Banned
Tom Borck said:
NOT TRUE! Under parent request principal can paddle. We had several parents come in and watch their child get paddled! However, it is very RARE! I think we had 2 parents request paddling last year.

Do the parents have to be there before the paddling can commence? If I'm going to take the time off work for a problem at school with my kid I might as well do the punishing myself. I know that it's most likely a liability issue for the school but if your kid is in their care for 6 hours a day they have to have some sort of "control".

Nick T

Tom Borck

Banned
Depends, in the past the our principal would do it under parental request and the parent was NOT present. Last year the parents were here for a conference, so they gave permission or did it themselves.

I get the impression that he does not like to do it and only does so under certain circumstances.

I know I got my butt paddled and it put me on the straight and narrow!

broadhead

It may as well be us...

When I was a student in Jr. High and Sr. High, the coaches carried paddles and swung them like they were trying to knock one out of the park. I got my elmo knocked out a time or two. That was the seventies.

I teach middle school and cannot believe how some of the students want to "stand up" to the teachers. Our hands are pretty much tied. The parents and students know it. Through excessive litigation they have made it that way. The school boards have allowed it.

Trying to administer legislative mandates regarding curriculum, testing, and things that make the system "look good on paper," The school boards and administrators are often too detached to know what the teachers are really facing. Don't get me wrong. Most of the principals that I have worked for want to improve their school. They are just mandated out the wazooo by the state and federal government to do things that clog the learning process, Principals don't have the time to deal with day to day issues other than major discipline problems.

What used to be the norm for proper behavior in school is today's exceptional behavior! It is the lack of respect and desire from students and parents that gets to me.

But, I still love my job and don't want to do anything else. Somebody has got to try to make a difference Loafy, Tom, Michael and others, it may as well be us. :speechles

Loafy

I do love to teach just wish I got to do more of it.

Skipper, you nailed that one!

As far as paddling goes, I've had a few parents request that their child be paddled. They have made it clear to the principal that it is ok with them and even encouraged.
Personally, I have witnessed a few paddlings and they were the biggest joke I have ever seen.
The kid was not fazed in the least from the light licks and was given time with the counselor to "Get himself together" before returning to class. Lets just say it was not the way it used to be.

As others have said, things have changed. With things like they are now, I do not want to be able to paddle a child. If my hands were untied and I was let loose with a paddle I don't think I would be able to stop!!! Just kidding folks. Well sort of anyway!

It's almost Christmas and I'll get to go home with my Son and Daughter for 14 days. They help keep my chin up and remind me what life is all about.... I am blessed to have such good kids.... But of course, the spanking is not outlawed at my house.

Mac

I am sure 5th grade is tough, but

If you want a to have fun come up to the Middle School.
Talk about attitudes!!!!!!!!!!

I have had students stand up and tell me they are going to punch me out.

I am a 6' tall and about 210 lbs and in pretty good shape, but some of these kids have never heard the word respect. When I was younger and had a worst temper, I would have already been fired or in jail for slapping some little punk. Mellowed out in my old age.

Discipline in public schools is a joke.

OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loafy

Mac, Middle School is where I want to be. Done time in 8th, 7th, 6th, 2nd, and now 5th. I did Special Ed on a provisional until I could get a math job.

Out of everything I enjoyed the 7th and 8th graders most. Had some real punks but at least they did not cry one me and want a hug all of the time! It has taken me half a year to get these 10 year olds to shake my hand.

I don't want any more trouble than I already have!

CuznDave

Teaching - a true calling

Another word from another teacher:
Teaching is a calling - ususally by those same voices that tell me that the tv is watching me or that the toaster is actually a CIA transmitter.

I am a rather large man (6'1", 235#) and I have middle school students that cuss me and talkback on a regular basis. What is worse is when I call the parents, I get responses like "What did you say to her to make her cuss you?" (I told her to sit down and do her work :banginghe ) -or- after being told that her son was touching girls without their permission and would be probably expelled on the next incident, a mother responded with "I will try to encourage him to do better" ::huh: (Yeah, right... He needs the kind of encouragement my father offered, which had me standing at the supper table because I was too sore to sit) -or- "You (the teacher) need to do a better job of making him behave." (Excuse me?) -or- my favorite, "What do you want me to do about it?" (See above reply about aerodynamic white horse....). For some of kids, the parents are more of a problem than the students.

Mac

Nail on the Head

For some of kids, the parents are more of a problem than the students.